Have your say: Two arrested over A-level Maths leak Watch

shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Two arrested over A-level Maths leak article.

Read the full Two arrested over A-level Maths leak article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Correctly so.

I’ll tag ns_2 as I know he has opinions.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Big protest tomorrow at Edexcel. Hope everyone is coming on the March. Should be a good day out.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Good.

Ultimately, it is the action of these idiots, and people like them, that ruin examinations for all - yes, some people found papers one and two exceptionally hard, testing items either obscurely on the specification: notably the integration as the limit of a sum question, or testing 'intuition': notably, the method of differences question - but that does not necessitate and should not enable some people to get financial gain from sharing the third paper.

We all worked exceptionally hard for these exams; exams upon which many university applications are dependent on - (luckily, not the case for me; I did the exam a year early, and only have to think about university applications this Summer). The people responsible must feel the full force of the law - 'theft' alone is insufficient.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What would they be charged under, something like internet piracy? Possibly something like breaking and entering or trespassing as well, but at that age they are likely to be school employees so maybe some crazy breach of contract instead.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
What would they be charged under, something like internet piracy? Possibly something like breaking and entering or trespassing as well, but at that age they are likely to be school employees so maybe some crazy breach of contract instead.
It depends on the circumstances.

If they took away the paper not intending to bring it back it would be theft.

If they forced an entry into the building where the papers were kept intending to steal the paper, it would be burglary.

If they stole the paper off an individua,l it would be robbery.

If they opened the packet surreptitiously, copied the paper and then doctored the package so that the opening wasn't obvious, it would be criminal damage.

If they persuaded someone to let them look at the paper by lying to them, it would be fraud.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am glad that they're treating it seriously! They should be punished for it.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
It depends on the circumstances.

If they took away the paper not intending to bring it back it would be theft.

If they forced an entry into the building where the papers were kept intending to steal the paper, it would be burglary.

If they stole the paper off an individua,l it would be robbery.

If they opened the packet surreptitiously, copied the paper and then doctored the package so that the opening wasn't obvious, it would be criminal damage.

If they persuaded someone to let them look at the paper by lying to them, it would be fraud.
Would there be any way to prosecute them for the actual sharing (and/or selling) of the information that can be so damaging to students' exams? I feel that's where the greater harm is.
Bobbycar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's atrocious.

why someone would cut open an A-Level Paper, or any paper (although I'm doing GCSE), I don't know.

the law states that papers must NOT be opened until just before the time everyone starts. this won't happen to me, I don't see why they do it to college students.:mad:
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
Would there be any way to prosecute them for the actual sharing (and/or selling) of the information that can be so damaging to students' exams? I feel that's where the greater harm is.
Deliberate breach of copyright is a criminal offence but they would prosecute for the theft (or other) charge because of the greater sentencing powers. It isn't very different from for example theft of a credit card. The thief may sell on the card for a few quid but he won't be sentenced on the basis of either the value of the plastic or the price the fence paid for it.
AnonStudentABC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Scrap the exam system, it doesn't work anyway and is more of a memory test. Whilst they're at it, they should scrap their BTECs, which consist of no practical coursework other than report writing.

I'd like to see more vocational qualifications that focus more on students actually doing stuff - something like a research, plan/design and creation project would be beneficial for students as they would be graded on a process similar to that of the real world (shocking thought, I know).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (122)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.74%

Watched Threads