Jasmine.bx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Law or Sociology?
I don’t want to be a lawyer
But i was told if you’re going to do sociology you may as-well do law instead,would you agree?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jasmine.bx)
Law or Sociology?
But i was told if you’re going to do sociology you may as-well do law instead,would you agree?
Not really, no.

Are you studying sociology at the moment? If sociology turns out to be your favourite A level I would consider doing it at degree level, but it is a completely different subject from Law, so I dont know why people would say "you may as well do law instead."

You can check with people who have actually done a Law degree on this forum, but a lot of people do seem to say it's dry and academically challenging. So unless you genuinely have a passion for the subject, I think you would be better off considering one of your A level subjects instead, whether that be sociology or something else.
Last edited by harrysbar; 9 months ago
Jasmine.bx
Rep:
?
I currently do A level sociology.
Last edited by Jasmine.bx; 9 months ago
Jasmine.bx
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Not really, no.

Are you studying sociology at the moment? If sociology turns out to be your favourite A level I would consider doing it at degree level, but it is a completely different subject from Law, so I dont know why people would say "you may as well do law instead."

You can check with people who have actually done a Law degree on this forum, but a lot of people do seem to say it's dry and academically challenging. So unless you genuinely have a passion for the subject, I think you would be better off considering one of your A level subjects instead, whether that be sociology or something else.
I currently do A level sociology.I was thinking of doing it as a degree as I just can not pick a course.But I was also thinking about doing law but also saw its “hard” & stressful and it does not seem right for me anymore.But someone on another forum it might be a repeat of A level and therefore boring would you agree?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I currently do A level sociology.
No, definitely not. My own degree was a joint one in History & Sociology and it wasn't just a repeat of A levels or boring
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I currently do A level sociology.I was thinking of doing it as a degree as I just can not pick a course.But I was also thinking about doing law but also saw its “hard” & stressful and it does not seem right for me anymore.But someone on another forum it might be a repeat of A level and therefore boring would you agree?
There is absolutely no way that a degree in Sociology from university would be a repeat of A level... A level is like a beginner's course or an introduction to a subject whereas a university degree would make you study something to an advanced level. You wouldn't even be able to compare them. It'd be like saying A level English Lit was similar to university or that if you did A level French you're basically a fluent speaker of the language...

If you're interested in Sociology, read into the subject and maybe look at universities and their courses. You could also read up on Law, Psychology, Criminology and Philosophy etc. They're all inherently different but have similarities. :fluffy:
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Simple way to find out:

Get a law textbook (preferably used) in a topic you're interested in
Find a chapter in that textbook that looks relatively appealing
Read it (and try making notes if you're feeling adventurous)

It sounds like you're a lot warmer about studying Sociology tho
The University of Law Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Law or Sociology?
Hi Jasmine,

Law opens doors to many opportunities for careers. I was in your position when I was in college however due to limited career opportunities in sociology I took law at university of law. This is one of the best decisions of my life as first I have many career options available and second, the skills I have learnt in sociology has helped in law. I know the theory and reasoning behind criminals and how to write essays. Also I enhanced my communication skills through sociology which is very important in law.

The two subjectss do go hand in hand.

I hope this helps .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads