Staffordshire or Sheffield? Watch

sami_m97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I applied for Law at Staffs as well as Sheffield uni howevever at Staffordshire I applied for the 2 year accelerated route. Since I already studied law for 2 years abroad I would prefer to be finished in 2 years rather than 3 but on the other hand Sheffield is ranked higher and is one of the Russell group unis... I also wanna do a MA degree after finishing LLB so what do you think, should I rather go to Sheffield so that I have better
chance of getting into LSE/UCL etc or do I also have good chances if I do the intensive route at Staffordshire and try to get a first class degree? Please help I'll be glad for any advice 😊
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sami_m97)
I applied for Law at Staffs as well as Sheffield uni howevever at Staffordshire I applied for the 2 year accelerated route. Since I already studied law for 2 years abroad I would prefer to be finished in 2 years rather than 3 but on the other hand Sheffield is ranked higher and is one of the Russell group unis... I also wanna do a MA degree after finishing LLB so what do you think, should I rather go to Sheffield so that I have better
chance of getting into LSE/UCL etc or do I also have good chances if I do the intensive route at Staffordshire and try to get a first class degree? Please help I'll be glad for any advice 😊
I'd personally definitely go for Sheffield. In this instance, I'd say that quality > time. Although I'm sure that Staffordshire is good, Sheffield has a great reputation which you can hopefully trust. Even if you got a First at Staffs and a 2:1 at Sheffield, I think the Sheffield one will seem more respectable! :fluffy:
sami_m97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'd personally definitely go for Sheffield. In this instance, I'd say that quality > time. Although I'm sure that Staffordshire is good, Sheffield has a great reputation which you can hopefully trust. Even if you got a First at Staffs and a 2:1 at Sheffield, I think the Sheffield one will seem more respectable! :fluffy:
Thank you for your opinion 😊 do you think that I would still have a chance of getting into a university such as lse if i had a first at staffordshire plus for example some legal internship over summer or other additional activities? It's quite important for me to finish as quick as possible but on the other hand i dont wanna spoil my chances of getting a good job in the future😅
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your opinion 😊 do you think that I would still have a chance of getting into a university such as lse if i had a first at staffordshire plus for example some legal internship over summer or other additional activities? It's quite important for me to finish as quick as possible but on the other hand i dont wanna spoil my chances of getting a good job in the future😅
I think that could be possible. You could email LSE and ask them. You could also email Staffordshire and ask if recent graduates have done anything similar.

If you're really wanting to do the degree fast, then Staffordshire sounds good. But, Sheffield really is a great university and its course might better prepare you for a Master's at LSE and even look much better on your C.V.
miss.eleanora
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Uni of Sheffield in my experience were not supportive and I withdrew from them after completing my first year so have ended up spending 4 years getting a degree instead of three
ThatSameCraig20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I started a course at Sheffield in 2017 and ended up dropping out to go to a significantly lower ranked uni, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Moral of the story - the "highest ranked" universities are no better than any other universities. Choose the one that's right for you.
sami_m97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danni_Louise_)
I studied law at Staffs (regular 3-year degree) and came out with a high 2:1, and in the first year also won an award for having the top grades in my cohort. Once I graduated, I totally failed at getting even a paralegal/legal assistant/legal secretary role afterwards - never mind a TC. In fact, many of my Uni friends - even ones with LLMs - didn't end up breaking into a career in law. The few people I know, even with 1st class degrees, who stuck at it and sunk money into an LPC ended up in high street firms - typically in personal injury or private client work. Not wanting to fork out 10-15K for the LPC considering nobody would even consider me for entry-level support staff roles (this was 2013, before postgraduate loans), I ended up in recruitment/executive search for the legal industry. Honestly, I'm pretty happy about how things panned out as I've managed to spend my time since graduation working overseas, having carved out a solid international career - and I managed to avoid the burnout of 2000+ billable hour years. I'm about to head back to the UK for a year to do an MBA as I've got offers from a number of Russell Group/London Universities, most offering substantial scholarships.

In contrast, I know a HUGE number of lawyers in top-tier US, Magic Circle and international law firms who did their LLB at Sheffield - securing good TCs with ease. If you want to go into law practise, a lot of firms will only consider applicants with a Russell Group LLB or will have "target" universities they hire from. Employers don't really value LLMs/MAs very much at all - I know people with LLM's from Harvard who still struggle to get into good firms due to a "weak" undergrad degree. It might sound pompous and archaic, but unfortunately, that's how the industry is right now. If you are worried about that extra year, considering cutting out the MA, focusing on your undergrad, and then passing the SQE.
Thanks a lot! My reason for wanting to do LLM is that i do not come from the uk and in my country people without MA degree struggle to find a proper job and are considered unqualified that's why I wanna do it to leave all options open. How did you find the course at Staffs in general? In terms of teaching methods, what you've learned etc. Do you think it would also be an option to do my LLM in the US for example and that the chances of getting a respectable job there would be higher?
Danni_Louise_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks a lot! My reason for wanting to do LLM is that i do not come from the uk and in my country people without MA degree struggle to find a proper job and are considered unqualified that's why I wanna do it to leave all options open. How did you find the course at Staffs in general? In terms of teaching methods, what you've learned etc. Do you think it would also be an option to do my LLM in the US for example and that the chances of getting a respectable job there would be higher?
I found the course at Staffs to be fine - apart from the realism of the graduate prospects (and lack thereof!). They have a dedicated law library which is helpful and most of the teaching was of good quality although there were a few lecturers who were much weaker than others. The course is generally split between lectures and seminars. Keep in mind the uni has a very low barrier to entry so if you have group projects then you'll probably end up with some people who may need extra support to get the grades you hope for (although I only had 1 of these during my whole time there). Stoke isn't a particularly lively city so don't expect much at all in the way of nightlife, but the train station is right near campus so you can easily get to Manchester and Birmingham if you don't mind a 45 min to an hour train ride each way. Sheffield is certainly a more fun city with a lot more to do. It's a positive University experience overall and I enjoyed my time there, and if you want to go into a more general career outside of law, I'd happily say go for Staffs. In the elitist legal industry, maybe not so much.

As for getting a job as a fresh LLM grad in the US - that would be very tricky. Keep in mind that the US route to qualification is different and good firms expect you to have a JD. The lawyers I see gaining entry-level associate roles out there WITHOUT a JD are ones who already have a few years of solid experience in a top law firm in their own country, and even then numbers are getting less and less due to the H1B visa lottery - firms are reluctant to hire and train a grad who probably won't be able to get a visa a year later. You'd have a much higher chance in the UK with a degree from Sheffield.

Where are you from? Is your main focus on getting a job in UK/Internationally?
Last edited by Danni_Louise_; 3 weeks ago
sami_m97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danni_Louise_)
I found the course at Staffs to be fine - apart from the realism of the graduate prospects (and lack thereof!). They have a dedicated law library which is helpful and most of the teaching was of good quality although there were a few lecturers who were much weaker than others. The course is generally split between lectures and seminars. Keep in mind the uni has a very low barrier to entry so if you have group projects then you'll probably end up with some people who may need extra support to get the grades you hope for (although I only had 1 of these during my whole time there). Stoke isn't a particularly lively city so don't expect much at all in the way of nightlife, but the train station is right near campus so you can easily get to Manchester and Birmingham if you don't mind a 45 min to an hour train ride each way. Sheffield is certainly a more fun city with a lot more to do.

As for getting a job as a fresh LLM grad in the US - that would be very tricky. Keep in mind that the US route to qualification is different and good firms expect you to have a JD. The lawyers I see gaining entry-level associate roles out there WITHOUT a JD are ones who already have a few years of solid experience in a top law firm in their own country, and even then numbers are getting less and less due to the H1B visa lottery - firms are reluctant to hire and train a grad who probably won't be able to get a visa a year later.

Where are you from? Is your main focus on getting a job in UK/Internationally?
Ok the city life interests me as well 😅 i am from czech republic but i'd like to work in the uk in the future however i still wanna have the option to come back or to go to germany as my family lives there
Last edited by sami_m97; 3 weeks ago
StaffsUniGee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey there!

Though I didn't study Law, I've been studying and working at Staffs for the past three years, and loved it so much that I'm about to start a Master's there!

When deciding on a uni, I've found it all depends what you're wanting to get from your experience! Remember that a university is more than just a course, and you have to consider whether you'd enjoy living and working in that city, and look into the support services the uni provides (as you never know when you might need those). I'm happy to answer any questions you have about student life here at Staffs (and if you have more course-specific questions, I can get in touch with someone for you, though you seem pretty clued in on that kinda stuff)!

One thing I will say about Staffs is that it's consistently improving and jumping up the league tables, and has been doing so since I first looked into the uni in 2015.

I hope whichever course you choose suits you well and good luck for the future!

- Gee
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So you don't wanna study law for more than 2 years, but you're wanting to do a 1-year master's after your bachelor's. Makes ... sense?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
An LSE/UCL postgrad won't launder a Staffs undergrad for UK employers that care about academia to the point where they'll reject you on the basis of your university alone. Fortunately (or unfortunately), these employers tend to be few and concentrated at the 'top' end of the profession.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
An LSE/UCL postgrad won't launder a Staffs undergrad for UK employers that care about academia to the point where they'll reject you on the basis of your university alone. Fortunately (or unfortunately), these employers tend to be few and concentrated at the 'top' end of the profession.
You been reading Milton again?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads