Help - crisis + employer hasn't paid me Watch

in_vogue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys, if someone could please help me out I'd be really grateful! Basically I have/had a £250 overdraft, and I've used it all up.
I started work on the 28th May, my contract is until the beginning of July. Work haven't paid me yet, they said in the interview that pay would be "sporadic". Now I have two questions:

1. Can I go and ask to have my over-draft extended and will they refuse me? (I'm a full-time student with a student account by the way). I'm just worried it looks bad Also, does an overdraft start with immediate effect?

2. Is it irrational to want to be paid now?! I know I've only done 2 weeks, but the fact that it's a 5 week contract, it's sort of annoying me a bit since they did say pay would be sporadic...I interpreted that as 'often' :p: Basically should I ask them or just wait a bit?

Thanks for reading if you got this far!!
Joan-of-Arc
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
read your contract!
what does that say in regards to pay?

I would go strait to citizens advice bureau
and DONT work for places that have deubous polices in regards to pay, it should always be clear.

also in regards to your overdraft, if your a full time student you can usually get ones that go up to god knows what (at least a thousand if you want it to). depends on your bank if its immediate or not also.
in_vogue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joan-of-Arc)
read your contract!
what does that say in regards to pay?

I would go strait to citizens advice bureau
and DONT work for places that have deubous polices in regards to pay, it should always be clear.

also in regards to your overdraft, if your a full time student you can usually get ones that go up to god knows what (at least a thousand if you want it to). depends on your bank if its immediate or not also.
That's the thing, he never gave us (there's 3 of us) a contract. He said he would write one up, but then we started working there and it never happened. Stupid of me, I know. I don't have a problem taking things further, what I'm wondering is is it 'cheeky' to ask when I'm going to get paid since I've only actually worked 7 full days spread over 2 weeks?

Also, I'm with Barclays...

Thanks so much for your advice
Joan-of-Arc
Report 10 years ago
if hes not given you a contract, im pretty sure *legaly* your on sketchy ground. You have rights, but there harder to prove, after all he could turn around and say you never worked for him.
Id ask him for a contract and your pay to date or citizens advice and get a new job.
(thats just what I would do)
Its not cheeky at all, infact I think its cheekier not paying someone!

Not sure with Barclays, phone them up just now, they should help you out
in_vogue
Rep:
?
Thanks Joan, I'll rep you tomorrow!

Gah, don't have telephone banking, will have to go into a branch tomorrow and find out. Really hope I can get an overdraft ASAP otherwise I'm in the shiiiiit...
woofums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the only thing with regards to being paid, most emplyers pay you in arrears to the work you have done, so at my work, i had to work 5 weeks in order to get 1 weeks pay, then the next month i got the 4 weeks previous pay. im not sure if that makes sense though, but hope it helps
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
call your employer and explain the situation. You should have had a contract though!

Extending an overdraft will not be automatic, it will take time to process, somewhere between 7-28days depending on your bank. So it will be much easier to speak to your employer about getting paid
Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not uncommon to be paid "at the end of the month", so after 4 weeks you'd get the first paycheck. Make sure you're doing some form of timesheet to make sure there is a record of you working.
flipshot
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
Extending an overdraft will not be automatic, it will take time to process, somewhere between 7-28days depending on your bank. So it will be much easier to speak to your employer about getting paid
Natwest added mine on overnight for me and Halifax added one for me instantly when I did it online. So it is possible to get it quicker. You just need to go in their and ask them to see what they can do.
Kittennffc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I was a student, my overdraft was £1500, and even though I never used it, it got increased every year. I'm sure if you went in, they would increase it, although it's doubtful it would be immediate, what with paper work etc.

I'd demand a contract from your employer as well, without one you don't really have a leg to stand on if anything went wrong. And no, it isn't cheeky to ask at all. What type of employer pays you sporadically, even if it is just a short term thing? If he was half reputable you'd have set pay days.
the_fredster_001
Report 10 years ago
ask your employer for an advance?
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The people in this topic who say you should have a contract (no offence) have no idea what they are talking about. A written contract is sometimes beneficial for particular jobs, but for casual student work like you are doing its not necessary. In fact, most people do not have a contract even when they have worked for places for years and years and years: all that is required is a written statement of the main terms (which can be very vague) within 2months of starting. You haven't worked 2months yet, so you aren't entitled to this.

With regards to the money, this should have been made clear at the outset, though I'm not sure you can do anything about it now other than ask your employer when you will get paid. You are definitely entitled to know when you will get paid, and its probably reasonable to ask for some payment now, though I'm not sure whether there is any obligation for your employer to do this.

With regards to your overdraft, you should definitely be able to get it extended. All the student accounts I know of have an optional overdraft facility of well over £1000, mine is £1400 with Natwest, Halifax do £2000, you just have to go in and ask the bank, and if they won't extend it, you are with someone rubbish so just move to Natwest or someone.
in_vogue
Rep:
?
(Original post by jacketpotato)
The people in this topic who say you should have a contract (no offence) have no idea what they are talking about. A written contract is sometimes beneficial for particular jobs, but for casual student work like you are doing its not necessary. In fact, most people do not have a contract even when they have worked for places for years and years and years: all that is required is a written statement of the main terms (which can be very vague) within 2months of starting. You haven't worked 2months yet, so you aren't entitled to this.

With regards to the money, this should have been made clear at the outset, though I'm not sure you can do anything about it now other than ask your employer when you will get paid. You are definitely entitled to know when you will get paid, and its probably reasonable to ask for some payment now, though I'm not sure whether there is any obligation for your employer to do this.

With regards to your overdraft, you should definitely be able to get it extended. All the student accounts I know of have an optional overdraft facility of well over £1000, mine is £1400 with Natwest, Halifax do £2000, you just have to go in and ask the bank, and if they won't extend it, you are with someone rubbish so just move to Natwest or someone.
Thank-you so much! We did have something like what you mention: a very small, vague 'agreement' bbut it didn't mention anything about pay.

To be honest, my biggest concern right now is going into the bank and them telling me it will take 7 days to have my overdraft extended, as one poster mentioned as I cannot financially survive that long
jacketpotato
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I needed an overdraft, it was done instantly, there and then, with just a couple of hours needed for it to go through the system.
in_vogue
Rep:
?
(Original post by jacketpotato)
When I needed an overdraft, it was done instantly, there and then, with just a couple of hours needed for it to go through the system.
Oh my God....as I said, I maxed out my £250 overdraft, so called up - they said I can't extend my overdraft because I need £500+ in my account to do that!!
I then went into Barclays and the woman behind the counter said that didn't sound right, and made ma an appointment to see an advisor tomorrow.

But what the ****, has anyone heard of that before? Surely that doesn't make sense...
jacketpotato
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh my God....as I said, I maxed out my £250 overdraft, so called up - they said I can't extend my overdraft because I need £500+ in my account to do that!!
I then went into Barclays and the woman behind the counter said that didn't sound right, and made ma an appointment to see an advisor tomorrow.

But what the ****, has anyone heard of that before? Surely that doesn't make sense...
It doesn't make any sense, whatsoever. The whole point of a student overdraft is that it is there for when students need money, that is its purpose and how it is advertised.
You should definitely be able to have the advisor extend your overdraft given that you are on a student account, if he won't just say you will never bank with TSB again as they are being totally uncooperative and contradicting the 'helpful to students' advertising they put out, he should definitely do it.
I got some real morons over the phone as well, some rubbish about needing to update the back-office details: best to deal with the banks in person.
flipshot
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just threaten to move to another bank, that normally gets the ball rolling if they arn't being any help. Natwest just gave me the full £1250 in one go, no having to muck around with extending it, and this seems to be the norm with them.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (189)
42.95%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (140)
31.82%
I don't have an opinion (111)
25.23%

Watched Threads