Vits1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence

"Intelligence in the normal range is a polygenic trait, meaning that it is influenced by more than one gene, more specifically, over 500, and is thought to be 50% to 80% genetic in origin."
amorsophy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ehhhh it depends very much on what you mean by intelligence. Personally, I don't much hold with IQ scores as it just deals with one type of intelligence. Also, the history of IQ tests is kind of...murky to put it lightly. They have been used to justify some really horrible things and I just can't hold with a quotient that does that sort of thing. It was originally intended to identify children who needed extra help in class, not for people to brag to each other about or to villainise those who are struggling, which of course is what ended up happening. Also, environmental and sociological factors also affect IQ, and it can change quite a lot over the course of someone's life. Not really sure that it's an objective measurement...
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As above - IQ tests only really test how good you are at IQ tests. But I can't really think of a better measure. I'd have thought genetics is the main contributing factor so this isn't particularly surprising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (95)
57.93%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.98%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.8%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.32%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads