Finsbury1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,I’m writing here about my lad. Sorry in advance if I’ve posted to the wrong place. He was offered an unconditional offer for International relations at ULIP. The 4 year degree with year placement was accepted by Lloyd and he is due to start in Sept. He has had a year out so A levels done in 2018. The degree is ran by QMUL. Yesterday Lloyd had a load of emails from his portal and ULIP and QM. Basically QM have withdrawn from the course and it will now continue under ULIP as a 3 year without placement degree. They have said it’s because QM have decided to focus on their postgraduate courses and not unders. This is 6 days before the UCAS deadline for uni choices to be submitted. We feel as parents that this is a serious let down and I’m not even sure they are operating within the law here as surely this is a breach of contract? Many thanks Fin
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Finsbury1)
Hi there,I’m writing here about my lad. Sorry in advance if I’ve posted to the wrong place. He was offered an unconditional offer for International relations at ULIP. The 4 year degree with year placement was accepted by Lloyd and he is due to start in Sept. He has had a year out so A levels done in 2018. The degree is ran by QMUL. Yesterday Lloyd had a load of emails from his portal and ULIP and QM. Basically QM have withdrawn from the course and it will now continue under ULIP as a 3 year without placement degree. They have said it’s because QM have decided to focus on their postgraduate courses and not unders. This is 6 days before the UCAS deadline for uni choices to be submitted. We feel as parents that this is a serious let down and I’m not even sure they are operating within the law here as surely this is a breach of contract? Many thanks Fin
ucas allows it, if they offer an acceptable alternative which they could argue that course is.
Finsbury1
Rep:
?
I’ve read the consumer protection law that applies to uni contracts and firstly they have to give you notice at the offer stage that they may have a change to the course (which up until yesterday they hadn’t and also a 4 year with placement abroad is quite different to a 3 year without placement imo. That would be absurd to think they are an ‘acceptable alternative’.
(Original post by claireestelle)
ucas allows it, if they offer an acceptable alternative which they could argue that course is.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Finsbury1)
I’ve read the consumer protection law that applies to uni contracts and firstly they have to give you notice at the offer stage that they may have a change to the course (which up until yesterday they hadn’t and also a 4 year with placement abroad is quite different to a 3 year without placement imo. That would be absurd to think they are an ‘acceptable alternative’.
did he have offers from other universities? he may be able to have them negotiate with them to get an offer back from. He can call ucas for advice and for them to help liaise with the universities. there https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...urse-withdrawn
Finsbury1
Rep:
?
Yes he had 3 other offers but will take the 3 years in Paris. It’s just very disappointing that a uni can treat people like this and change their courses at the very last minute. He is upset and annoyed and that is no way to treat a future student. I will be making an official complaint to QMUL as they haven’t given him fair warning of this.
(Original post by claireestelle)
did he have offers from other universities? he may be able to have them negotiate with them to get an offer back from. He can call ucas for advice and for them to help liaise with the universities. there https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...urse-withdrawn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads