The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology Coursework

Heyyy,

We started the coursework today, but can anybody help me, i had a question that I wanted to investigate and that was "Do women have more of a type A personality than men? I had a hypothesis and that set out, but someone else has decided they want to do it, with the same hypothesis :mad: soooo

Can anybody help me think of a new one? Another reason I want to do a new one is becuase I read somewhere that if you use your own you will get higher marks that if you use a "default" one.

At the moment, I can think of "gender affects the memory" or "age affects the memory" but i think one of my other friends is doing something like the latter. Can you help me chose a different one, or do you think the first one will be ok?

Thanks in advance, I'll give rep to the best one :smile:
Reply 1
You don't get any marks for the uniqueness of your idea at all. The marks all come from how you write it up and how you demonstrate understanding of the research process.

Loads of ideas on PsychBLOG

http://www.psychblog.co.uk/coursework-inspiration/inspiration-ideas
Reply 2
everyone in my class did the same thing...I got an A...? so uniqueness doesn't have much of a bearing on it..
Try and aim to do one that maybe links in with the units you are studying for A2 ... this is what i did, providing you know what units you will be doing?
I did Teacher Gender and the effects on disruptive behaviour in the classroom (not really original but proved to be quite straight forward!!)
How come you're only starting it now?

Anyway- most people do memory because it's the easiest way to gather results, and there are plenty of studies on it. The examiners don't care what you do, or how many people do it, though we weren't allowed to do the exact same study as someone else in the same class. I went for something different, to be a rebel :p: , but it doesn't matter at all what you do.

Also, some people make up their results so it's quicker. Just saying....I wouldn't dream of it, but, you know...... :flute:
Reply 5
As said before it doesnt always matter if you have the same/similar hypothesis to others, I Know for a fact some coollege classes all students have the exact same hypothesis and all do prettymuch the same coursework and it doesnt effect there marks. Mine we were all pretty independent of each other so it was nice to be inventive.
Memory is a great one to do as there are lots of ways you could tests this and variables you can have, I did mine on conformity another pretty wide research area and also fits in nicely with the pro and anti social behaviour module if your doing that as well.
One thing I would mention is think about how easy your idea would be to perform and get the participants; for example if you chose age you would need to ideally get hold of lots of different age participants, meaning you would have to go outside other students and college, however if you did gender you could probably stick comfortably within just other students as your participants.
Reply 6
Ok, thanks guys.

I'm starting it now, because today was our 1st day back after exams and we started A2 today.

Do you think the gender one will be alright to do?

Thanks
Reply 7
Hmmmmmmmm, what about Sperry's work? You could have something like....Are people who are left handed more likely to be better at things related to spacial awareness and people who are right handed be better at things like memory tests etc.
x Kelly
Ok, thanks guys.

I'm starting it now, because today was our 1st day back after exams and we started A2 today.

Do you think the gender one will be alright to do?

Thanks

Oh yeah. Duh. Sorry, was thinking you were A2 and incredibly late doing coursework. Ignore me :p:

The leftie/rightie would be cool, but then how many lefties will you find to get a good sample? I'm generally the only leftie in most of my classes
Reply 9
CrazyBeautiful
Oh yeah. Duh. Sorry, was thinking you were A2 and incredibly late doing coursework. Ignore me :p:

The leftie/rightie would be cool, but then how many lefties will you find to get a good sample? I'm generally the only leftie in most of my classes

That is quite good actually, but i went to see my teacher today and she said the one im doing is good especially because i can link it to loftus and palmer study :biggrin:
I did how correct grammar affects one's perceptions of someone. Teehee, I'm a grammar nerd.

You could do how order of questions affects recall of an event. You know, whether the questions are asked in a chronological order, random etc. That way you'd be automatically revising the psychology of testimony, which you'll have to cover if your school does the psychology and crime paper :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending