The Student Room Group

AMA product manager intern at a big tech company

i'm bored, it's 1am and I have 6 hours of meetings tomorrow so..

shoot.
thought u were some hot shot investment banker
Original post by steamed-hams
thought u were some hot shot investment banker

nah.

free food, casual dress, great pay, top job.. banking in general doesn't seem worth in comparison (unless it's a top 3 bank or elite boutique or something).
Boy do I understand that feeling. :cry2:

Are you working in London or elsewhere?
Do you have any other benefits such as flexi time, medical insurance etc. (Do interns get the same benefits as graduates at your firm?)
Are you enjoying the job so far?
Original post by Princepieman
i'm bored, it's 1am and I have 6 hours of meetings tomorrow so..

shoot.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Boy do I understand that feeling. :cry2:

Are you working in London or elsewhere?
Do you have any other benefits such as flexi time, medical insurance etc. (Do interns get the same benefits as graduates at your firm?)
Are you enjoying the job so far?

yeah, it's a bit insane. a huge part of the actual job is to be the interface or ("mini-CEO") of a cross-functional pod (or several) surrounding a product or part of a product. so much of your time is spent communicating with a bunch of people (which means hella meetings, hella presentations and hella emails).

yep, central.

get a lot events, free drinks, free lunches (not everyday/not in-house but like very frequently). work from home if you need to. discounts on plane tickets. discounts on gym. private healthcare if you want. free life insurance. bike to work scheme etc etc etc. matched contribution to a pension etc

I think we get the discounts, work from home etc but not the rest.

yeah, it is amazing. literally a combo of all the things i find interesting: strategy, business, design, technology, psychology, analytics.. it's been really cool. everyone is super relaxed as well
I don't even know what that means.
Original post by Notoriety
I don't even know what that means.

means you go to meetings, pretend you know what's going on, run some lowkey psychological tests on users and tell engineers/designers to build **** that fits into your "vision"
Where did you find the internship?
how does a person get a entry level job in product management without a degree?
How did you work you way into product management?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Where did you find the internship?

recruiter emailed me
recruiter emailed me

Where do they get your email? Other employers recommend you? or is it something like CV library
Original post by bigmansouf
how does a person get a entry level job in product management without a degree?
How did you work you way into product management?

you become something on the skills-based side (either through a bootcamp or self-teaching) like software engineer or designer then build up a good profile for product and apply for positions (directly or through networking).

most common paths are:

1. (very rare) straight out of undergrad into a new grad product position (competitive as hell, very few programs exist..)
2. lateral from Eng or Design or Marketing or Project/Program Management
3. lateral from a top tier business job (investment banking or consulting)
4. a top tier MBA

i ran a startup in high school (v similar skills), study cs at a good uni, did a quant internship last summer, held leadership positions etc. stuff that would make me a decent-ish fit.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Where do they get your email? Other employers recommend you? or is it something like CV library

linkedin and cv database
You've got yourself a good internship to be honest. I've considered the product management path it's actually really appealing for me but I seem to be on the Project Management leaning route at the moment. Sounds good, is it American? I also get private medical insurance which I didn't get at a large European company.

Bet you get paid fairly well too even though it's an internship. :tongue:

I heard tech is quite relaxed in comparison to others such as your aforementioned banking. Judging by how it's going (not sure how long you've worked there) would you go back there?

yeah, it's a bit insane. a huge part of the actual job is to be the interface or ("mini-CEO") of a cross-functional pod (or several) surrounding a product or part of a product. so much of your time is spent communicating with a bunch of people (which means hella meetings, hella presentations and hella emails).

yep, central.

get a lot events, free drinks, free lunches (not everyday/not in-house but like very frequently). work from home if you need to. discounts on plane tickets. discounts on gym. private healthcare if you want. free life insurance. bike to work scheme etc etc etc. matched contribution to a pension etc

I think we get the discounts, work from home etc but not the rest.

yeah, it is amazing. literally a combo of all the things i find interesting: strategy, business, design, technology, psychology, analytics.. it's been really cool. everyone is super relaxed as well
Original post by Themysticalegg
You've got yourself a good internship to be honest. I've considered the product management path it's actually really appealing for me but I seem to be on the Project Management leaning route at the moment. Sounds good, is it American? I also get private medical insurance which I didn't get at a large European company.

Bet you get paid fairly well too even though it's an internship. :tongue:

I heard tech is quite relaxed in comparison to others such as your aforementioned banking. Judging by how it's going (not sure how long you've worked there) would you go back there?

yeah, pretty chuffed with it tbh. can't complain at aaaaallll. yeah, american. they've just built a big HQ in Seattle (instead of Bellevue) that the people there are moving to.

project management is pretty decent but for me lacks the operating/strategy elements of owning a products ultimate success or failure.

yeah just got my signing bonus. pay is about 38k pro-rata.

tech is soooooooo chill. like there are literally micro kitchens just stacked with snacks everywhere and pods/sofas to sleep in. there's also a retro arcade games room + a more modern console room. would only consider banking if it was top tier at this point (still wouldn't mind pursuing a path to fundamental hedge funds - *cough* future bobby axelrod *cough*).product people tend to go on to the C-suite, venture capital investing and founding startups pretty regularly so decent scope for my interests anyway.
Linkedin is incredibly useful, I was surprised recruiters from large organisations looked for me. So much so my Linkedin looks better than my CV now. :rofl:
linkedin and cv database

Blimey £38,000 as an intern?! :awesome:I think ultimately I would find Product Management more interesting as well.

yeah, pretty chuffed with it tbh. can't complain at aaaaallll. yeah, american. they've just built a big HQ in Seattle (instead of Bellevue) that the people there are moving to.

project management is pretty decent but for me lacks the operating/strategy elements of owning a products ultimate success or failure.

yeah just got my signing bonus. pay is about 38k pro-rata. Blimey I'm jealous I work in a really formal office. :tongue:

tech is soooooooo chill. like there are literally micro kitchens just stacked with snacks everywhere and pods/sofas to sleep in. there's also a retro arcade games room + a more modern console room. would only consider banking if it was top tier at this point (still wouldn't mind pursuing a path to fundamental hedge funds - *cough* future bobby axelrod *cough*).product people tend to go on to the C-suite, venture capital investing and founding startups pretty regularly so decent scope for my interests anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending