zazzy.r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all! I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions on teaching in a grammar vs. state school- is teaching in a grammar school inherently easier? I go to a grammar school myself and am considering teaching, so I was just curious. The standard itself of teaching seems lower in state schools (using my sister's all-girls comprehensive as a point of comparison) but is it actually easier? I mean, in a grammar school, we still have disruption, but it's largely low-level. The funding is bad, but that seems to be a common theme amongst state schools as a whole. So, sorry for not explaining myself very well, but is there a gap in the ease in teaching one over the other?
username1258931
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zazzy.r)
Hello all! I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions on teaching in a grammar vs. state school- is teaching in a grammar school inherently easier? I go to a grammar school myself and am considering teaching, so I was just curious. The standard itself of teaching seems lower in state schools (using my sister's all-girls comprehensive as a point of comparison) but is it actually easier? I mean, in a grammar school, we still have disruption, but it's largely low-level. The funding is bad, but that seems to be a common theme amongst state schools as a whole. So, sorry for not explaining myself very well, but is there a gap in the ease in teaching one over the other?
Not a teacher but I attended both a grammar and a state school.
From my experience:
The level of disruption in a grammar school is nothing compared to state school.
Generally more students want to learn in a grammar school which is more enjoyable to teach.
Funding is bad in both but outgoing costs tend to be higher in state schools as they need to support struggling students.
bwilliams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for the long post.

The attainment of the children entering the grammar school will be higher - do not mistake this as being the quality of teaching. For example, schools judged on 5 GCSEs at A*-C are judged on the percentage that achieve this. A comprehensive school may have 54% (an example), whereas a grammar school is likely to be 99 or 100%. Does this mean that the grammar schools provides a better quality of education? It may provide a better quality of education; however, this would be due to the school itself, not because it is a grammar school. Teachers that work in a grammar school don't suddenly get a job there and become better teachers than they were before.

What I am trying to say is you will not know what kind of school you want to work in until you get a feel and look around a certain school. You could argue that grammar schools "only accept the best teachers". However, what if the best teachers don't apply at the grammar school? You could argue that the best teachers work at comprehensive as there is more 'challenging behaviour' and the role is more rewarding. You could argue grammar schools only accept the best apples from the tree and bake a good pie. Comprehensive collect the apples that may have been bruised or fallen, some good apples fall in the mix and then teachers work hard to polish them up and the pie produced is different, but still good.

Although it may be difficult for you to consider the concept of grammar schools so deeply as you attend one I would encourage you to do so before singling out comprehensive schools. I am not saying working in either school is better or worse but it will be a different experience due to many factors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads