EPQ worth doing for Imperial and other high ranked Unis

Watch
Bazookatron21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok, so I just finished my first year of A-levels and am thinking of making an EPQ artefact over the Summer. My project has been approved, it will require a lot of research as my artefact has never been made before. It's relevant to the what I'm applying for at Uni (Electronic and information engineering) and I really want to get into Imperial College London. However, I'm already gonna be busy this Summer as I've got a week of Summer School (at imperial) and a week of work experience. Furthermore, I've got to complete my Computer Science NEA which is about a 200 page document +programming. I don't know whether an EPQ is worth doing so I want to know from anyone who has already gotten into a high ranked Uni like Imperial or Oxbridge if it's worth it, considering all the other things I've signed up for. How much will it really increase my chances of getting in as I've already got the grades (predicted 3 A*). Would it be worth doing revision instead? Thanks
iiahmxd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im in such a similar situation to you ahah. What subjects do you take?
(Original post by Bazookatron21)
Ok, so I just finished my first year of A-levels and am thinking of making an EPQ artefact over the Summer. My project has been approved, it will require a lot of research as my artefact has never been made before. It's relevant to the what I'm applying for at Uni (Electronic and information engineering) and I really want to get into Imperial College London. However, I'm already gonna be busy this Summer as I've got a week of Summer School (at imperial) and a week of work experience. Furthermore, I've got to complete my Computer Science NEA which is about a 200 page document +programming. I don't know whether an EPQ is worth doing so I want to know from anyone who has already gotten into a high ranked Uni like Imperial or Oxbridge if it's worth it, considering all the other things I've signed up for. How much will it really increase my chances of getting in as I've already got the grades (predicted 3 A*). Would it be worth doing revision instead? Thanks
HasanQ585
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've just finished A-Levels and firmed Imperial for joint Maths and Computing. Idk much about the selection process for EIE but I imagine its not too dissimilar to the Computing department.
I didnt do an EPQ and instead over summer did 'super-curricular' stuff (so I did some extra Maths beyond the syllabus, did some programming and did some reading ready for my personal statement). I only started my a-level computing project in the summer between year 12 and 13, so if you're looking to finish it this summer (and it sounds like you might be on OCR?) you're gonna need to set aside some time to do it. Alternatively you could bang out the EPQ now and do the NEA later (though that may be a lot to take on).

EPQ isnt necessary by any means, though it could be a talking point for your personal statement and interview. Idk if EIE give you a reduced offer with EPQ or include it as a condition, but if so you may want to consider the possibility that if you did the EPQ and you dont do well, what effect it would have on your offer

EPQ might detract from your NEA, personal statement and whatever. You also mentioned the summer school and work experience so in terms of content for your personal statment you should be set (assuming they're relevant). Really and truly if you're aiming for oxbridge and imperial then the main thing for getting in is your academic ability, so the EPQ might not be worth given the effort it takes (and the other stuff you've mentioned you're doing)
Just my opinion though

Good luck with ur application and any more questions feel free to ask
Bazookatron21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by iiahmxd)
Im in such a similar situation to you ahah. What subjects do you take?
Maths, Physics and Computer Science. How about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
27.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (100)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.45%

Watched Threads