Should we ban e-cigarettes? Watch

ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The home of the most popular e-cigarette manufacturer Juul is to ban the sale of vaporisers (dunno about the fluid) in San Francisco, and also ban the delivery of such products into the city by online retailers.

The reasoning given is that the health effects are unknown, with the FDA (the USA regulatory body) having given e-cigarettes an extra 3 years before increasing regulation, and also with the number of teenagers admitting to using nicotine products increasing 36% last year, that something had to be done within the city rather than wait for more widespread laws to maybe come in later.

Personally, it makes no sense to ban the maybe harmful e-cigarette if you're permitting the definitely harmful tobacco cigarettes. However, I do have a problem with e-cigarettes being allowed to advertise how cool it is to be inhaling and blowing out 'smoke', rather than merely as an aid to quitting smoking. It would be like if it became cool to wear nicotine patches as a fashion statement, except worse because vaping tries to glamourise the actual act of inhaling carcinogens. There are NO health benefits to vaping, and at the very least they still have nicotine to addict kids under peer pressure.

I'd rather see a restriction on vaping ads to be portrayed only as methods to quit smoking rather than a thing to encourage non-smokers to pick up. What do you think?
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
E-cigs are the only reason i quit smoking. I tried a ton of other stuff (patchs,gum, supplements )and just came to the conclusion i just couldn't; after facing W/d which was the worst thing i had faced in my life, at the time. after constant health porblems and other factors i tried to quit again. you already mention it helps quitting, but honestly E-cigs, and using them for 2-3 months, before i quit them, is the only reason i aint smoking today/slowly killing myself.

E-cigs aren't seen as cool in anyways; in most cases people kinda look at you as the vape nation kid aka Uncool, puffing large obnoxious fruity clouds from a machine that makes a decent amount of noise, They dont taste nice, like you expect. ( the flavour runs out fast, you get burnt cotton hits/burnt hits all the time, 95% of flavours are rank or not what they should be, or go funky within a day or two ) ect ect. Very few people vape, started out just vaping, or people i know and talked to in my vape shop; mostly cos vaping cos a decent amount, isnt fun and doesnt taste nice like everyone expect ( its real hit and miss ), so banning isnt need imo esp when vaping help a lot of smokers quit.
Last edited by rimstone; 2 weeks ago
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
The home of the most popular e-cigarette manufacturer Juul is to ban the sale of vaporisers (dunno about the fluid) in San Francisco, and also ban the delivery of such products into the city by online retailers.

The reasoning given is that the health effects are unknown, with the FDA (the USA regulatory body) having given e-cigarettes an extra 3 years before increasing regulation, and also with the number of teenagers admitting to using nicotine products increasing 36% last year, that something had to be done within the city rather than wait for more widespread laws to maybe come in later.

Personally, it makes no sense to ban the maybe harmful e-cigarette if you're permitting the definitely harmful tobacco cigarettes. However, I do have a problem with e-cigarettes being allowed to advertise how cool it is to be inhaling and blowing out 'smoke', rather than merely as an aid to quitting smoking. It would be like if it became cool to wear nicotine patches as a fashion statement, except worse because vaping tries to glamourise the actual act of inhaling carcinogens. There are NO health benefits to vaping, and at the very least they still have nicotine to addict kids under peer pressure.

I'd rather see a restriction on vaping ads to be portrayed only as methods to quit smoking rather than a thing to encourage non-smokers to pick up. What do you think?
There are no health benefits to stuffing your face with junk food either. Should that be banned too?
FTheOpps
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Helped me quit smoking and it was easy to stop vaping so shouldn't be banned
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, silly idea.

With that being said i can see their problem whilst its cutting the traditional tobacco smoking figures its still addictive and as Juul are well aware theyre creating a generation of kids addicted to nicotine.

I wouldnt be overly sad if they banned those bloody vapes though. I'm tired of being choked to death in a cloud of strawberry fumes walking to the street!
Bluemonkey14
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What do we achieve in banning it? how is it gonna help the cause?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (122)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.74%

Watched Threads