What Options do I have and what can I do Next with BTEC? Watch

RunfromVengeance
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello Guys!

I just recently migrated here in the UK and am currently doing a Level 3 course in Software Development and Programming and I would like to know what options and opportunities do I have after finishing this course? Can I also enter the university with this qualifications? How can I know and where do I go to see my BTEC Results?

I am Asian from the country of Philippines and currently lived here in UK for 3 months. I have graduated in a 12 year high school education system. I would like to ask on how can I enter the university? I am fairly new here and does not know much in the education system of the UK. Thank you guys if you could help me!
Carbonx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you are doing a Level 3 diploma, next year you should be doing an extended diploma in Software Development and Programming. To progress to an extended diploma course you will need usually a Merit grade, but it's up to your college. When you finish your Level 3 extended diploma course you can go to university. It's up to university what grades you should get to be accepted. You should collect your BTEC results from your college (they will tell you when). You should also finish your UCAS application before going to university.

Options & opportunities after your course:
* University
* NHC and NHD
* Job
* Level 3 or level 4 apprenticeship
RunfromVengeance
Rep:
?
Hello! Thank you for the response. Just a follow up question:
1. What is an apprenticeship?
2. Do employers accept people without bachelors degree? Because in my country they dont
3. What is an NHC and NHD?
4. What is a foundation year and Higher Education Courses?

Sorry for the many questions. I am not that good when it comes to speaking the English Language so I can't ask around the college.
Carbonx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RunfromVengeance)
Hello! Thank you for the response. Just a follow up question:
1. What is an apprenticeship?
2. Do employers accept people without bachelors degree? Because in my country they dont
3. What is an NHC and NHD?
4. What is a foundation year and Higher Education Courses?

Sorry for the many questions. I am not that good when it comes to speaking the English Language so I can't ask around the college.
No problem. If you have any questions you can always ask me

1) Apprenticeships allow you to combine work and study by mixing on-the-job training with classroom learning. You'll be employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification, usually for one day a week either at a college or a training centre. By the end of your apprenticeship, you'll hopefully have gained the skills and knowledge needed to either succeed in your chosen career. Sometimes you can stay working in your work placement after completing your apprenticeship.

2) Yes, but sometimes employers will require a degree and 1 or 2 years of experience.

3) Sorry I meant HNC and HND. HNC = Higher National Certificate and HND = Higher National Diploma. Both are Level 4 qualifications. Then you can progress to Level 6(Bachelor's degree) and Level 7 (Master's degree). If you finish HNC or HND you can progress to 2nd or 3rd year of university.

4)A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. It allows students who don't meet the entry requirements for the normal course to fill in the gaps and go on to study a full degree. Higher education is third level education after you leave school. It takes places at universities and Further Education colleges and normally includes undergraduate and postgraduate study.
RunfromVengeance
Rep:
?
Thank you for giving me a clear explanation about the different parts of education here in the UK. I have more questions:

1. Does finishing HNC or HND allows me to skip the 1st year of the university? Is it better for me to finish my remaining 1 year in college or do I go ahead and apply for 9 months program of foundation year?

2. Does finishing an Level 3 extended diploma means I have A Levels and GCSE as well? I have looked for the entry requirements of most courses in Universities at the website you mention 'UCAS; and they always asks for those. Is a Level 3 Extended Diploma is enough for entering university?

3. What is the difference between BSC Hons, BA Hons, MEng Hons, and Beng Hon? I am having a hard time understanding them when looking at UCAS.

4. Do bachelors degree courses always finish on 3 years time only? I am planning on doing a computer science after I finish my course.

5. Can you get whatever course you want in university as long as you have a Level 3 Extended Diploma/ Certificate? or It needs to be related in the subject I am taking? (For example Level 3 Software Development and Engineering - Computer Science University Course).

Sorry again for many questions and being ignorant on these things. My parents migrated within 2 weeks time so I really don't have any time studying the Education System of UK.

(Original post by Carbonx)
No problem. If you have any questions you can always ask me

1) Apprenticeships allow you to combine work and study by mixing on-the-job training with classroom learning. You'll be employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification, usually for one day a week either at a college or a training centre. By the end of your apprenticeship, you'll hopefully have gained the skills and knowledge needed to either succeed in your chosen career. Sometimes you can stay working in your work placement after completing your apprenticeship.

2) Yes, but sometimes employers will require a degree and 1 or 2 years of experience.

3) Sorry I meant HNC and HND. HNC = Higher National Certificate and HND = Higher National Diploma. Both are Level 4 qualifications. Then you can progress to Level 6(Bachelor's degree) and Level 7 (Master's degree). If you finish HNC or HND you can progress to 2nd or 3rd year of university.

4)A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. It allows students who don't meet the entry requirements for the normal course to fill in the gaps and go on to study a full degree. Higher education is third level education after you leave school. It takes places at universities and Further Education colleges and normally includes undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Carbonx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for giving me a clear explanation about the different parts of education here in the UK. I have more questions:

1. Does finishing HNC or HND allows me to skip the 1st year of the university? Is it better for me to finish my remaining 1 year in college or do I go ahead and apply for 9 months program of foundation year?

2. Does finishing an Level 3 extended diploma means I have A Levels and GCSE as well? I have looked for the entry requirements of most courses in Universities at the website you mention 'UCAS; and they always asks for those. Is a Level 3 Extended Diploma is enough for entering university?

3. What is the difference between BSC Hons, BA Hons, MEng Hons, and Beng Hon? I am having a hard time understanding them when looking at UCAS.

4. Do bachelors degree courses always finish on 3 years time only? I am planning on doing a computer science after I finish my course.

5. Can you get whatever course you want in university as long as you have a Level 3 Extended Diploma/ Certificate? or It needs to be related in the subject I am taking? (For example Level 3 Software Development and Engineering - Computer Science University Course).

Sorry again for many questions and being ignorant on these things. My parents migrated within 2 weeks time so I really don't have any time studying the Education System of UK.
1) Yes, sometimes you can skip one year of university after HND, but to be honest it's up to university. You should finish your Level 3 course before going to foundation year and then you can go to HNC/HND or a foundation year. What are your grades from your Level 3 course? If your grades form a Level 3 diploma and an extended diploma are good you don't have to apply for a foundation year. You can just apply for a normal course if you are planning to go to university.

2) Not really. Level 2 is an equivalent to GCSE, Level 3 is an equivalent to 2 A-levels and an extended diploma is your second year of a level 3 course, so you will have an equivalent to 3 A levels in total. Students in year 11 (The last year of secondary school) are doing their GCSEs. Students are usually doing 11 GCSE subjects, but if you are going to university you will need only 2 GCSEs -Maths and English. If you are not doing GCSE Maths and English (not functional skills) you should ask your college about it. GCSE course is free. Like I said, you can go to university with your BTEC Level 3 extended diploma because BTEC is an equivalent to 3 A-levels. Every university is setting a required grades, so you just have to visit your university website and check your course grade requirements.

3) B.A is “bachelor of arts “ which is graduation in arts stream whereas BSc is bachelor of science means graduation in science stream. In the United Kingdom, the degree of Master of Engineering (MEng) is the highest award for undergraduate studies in engineering. The MEng degree is a year longer than the BEng and gives you the benefit of advanced skills and knowledge, which is always appealing to employers. The MEng and BEng courses are the same for the first two years, but different topics are covered from year three onwards. An MEng is an undergraduate Masters and means Master of Engineering and BEng means Bachelor of Engineering.

4) It usually takes three or four years to complete full-time (normally four years if you're doing a sandwich course as this includes a year in industry or abroad). Your university will allow you to decide if you want to do 3 years full time or 3 years + 1 year in industry. If you are planning to study part time your course will be longer.

5) Yes, but your course needs to be related to computers, computing, software, IT etc. so you can't apply for a medical course Remember that you have to complete an extended DIPLOMA not certificate.
RunfromVengeance
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for taking your time in answering my questions. I hope this thread can help fellow Filipinos and asians who does not know much about the education sytem of the UK. Have a nice day Kind Sir!
RunfromVengeance
Rep:
?
Oh! I forgot to ask one last thing:

1. Even though I am taking a Level 3 Course in Software Development and Programming is it still necessary for me to take the English and Maths GCSE? Will I even be more qualified in entering the University if I have taken these two?

2. How long does it usually takes to finish a GCSE Course?

Thanks again!

(Original post by Carbonx)
1) Yes, sometimes you can skip one year of university after HND, but to be honest it's up to university. You should finish your Level 3 course before going to foundation year and then you can go to HNC/HND or a foundation year. What are your grades from your Level 3 course? If your grades form a Level 3 diploma and an extended diploma are good you don't have to apply for a foundation year. You can just apply for a normal course if you are planning to go to university.

2) Not really. Level 2 is an equivalent to GCSE, Level 3 is an equivalent to 2 A-levels and an extended diploma is your second year of a level 3 course, so you will have an equivalent to 3 A levels in total. Students in year 11 (The last year of secondary school) are doing their GCSEs. Students are usually doing 11 GCSE subjects, but if you are going to university you will need only 2 GCSEs -Maths and English. If you are not doing GCSE Maths and English (not functional skills) you should ask your college about it. GCSE course is free. Like I said, you can go to university with your BTEC Level 3 extended diploma because BTEC is an equivalent to 3 A-levels. Every university is setting a required grades, so you just have to visit your university website and check your course grade requirements.

3) B.A is “bachelor of arts “ which is graduation in arts stream whereas BSc is bachelor of science means graduation in science stream. In the United Kingdom, the degree of Master of Engineering (MEng) is the highest award for undergraduate studies in engineering. The MEng degree is a year longer than the BEng and gives you the benefit of advanced skills and knowledge, which is always appealing to employers. The MEng and BEng courses are the same for the first two years, but different topics are covered from year three onwards. An MEng is an undergraduate Masters and means Master of Engineering and BEng means Bachelor of Engineering.

4) It usually takes three or four years to complete full-time (normally four years if you're doing a sandwich course as this includes a year in industry or abroad). Your university will allow you to decide if you want to do 3 years full time or 3 years + 1 year in industry. If you are planning to study part time your course will be longer.

5) Yes, but your course needs to be related to computers, computing, software, IT etc. so you can't apply for a medical course Remember that you have to complete an extended DIPLOMA not certificate.
Carbonx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh! I forgot to ask one last thing:

1. Even though I am taking a Level 3 Course in Software Development and Programming is it still necessary for me to take the English and Maths GCSE? Will I even be more qualified in entering the University if I have taken these two?

2. How long does it usually takes to finish a GCSE Course?

Thanks again!
1) Yes, because BTEC and GCSEs are two different courses, so you will need a BTEC Level 3 extended diploma and at least 2 GCSEs ,if you are going to university. You can't even apply for a course if you don't have at least 2 GCSEs.

2) It usually takes one year, so if you'll start your GCSE (fast track) course you will be doing your exams in May/June 2020. Maths= 2 calculator exams + 1 non calculator exam. English = 2 writing exams + 1 speaking exam. The grades are 9 to 1. 9 is the highest grade and 1 is the lowest. Grades 1 to 3 mean that you have failed, so you need to get at least a grade 4 to pass. You are an Asian, so you will probably get a very high grade. Good Luck!
lumenbestia
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I'm sorry if this is unrelated, but what strand in senior high school did you take when you studied in the Philippines? I migrated here last year and the college I went to said I didn't have the qualifications for a BTEC Level 3 course even though I had 97% average in GAS and HUMSS strand. So I ended up doing a BTEC Level 2 course in IT. I plan to take up Computer Science too when I go to uni in 2020
Hello Guys!

I just recently migrated here in the UK and am currently doing a Level 3 course in Software Development and Programming and I would like to know what options and opportunities do I have after finishing this course? Can I also enter the university with this qualifications? How can I know and where do I go to see my BTEC Results?

I am Asian from the country of Philippines and currently lived here in UK for 3 months. I have graduated in a 12 year high school education system. I would like to ask on how can I enter the university? I am fairly new here and does not know much in the education system of the UK. Thank you guys if you could help me!
RunfromVengeance
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Good Day! Sorry for the late response. I wonder why the college told you you do not have the qualification to start at Level 3. According to my equivalent qualifications in the UKNARIC Grade 12 Graduates have Level 2 Qualifications that is why I am able to start in Level 3. I have taken the GAS and HUMMS Strand as well. I will be taking the computer science in uni in 2020 as well. By the way, which college are you currently studying right now? and what school did you graduated in the Philippines?
(Original post by lumenbestia)
Hi! I'm sorry if this is unrelated, but what strand in senior high school did you take when you studied in the Philippines? I migrated here last year and the college I went to said I didn't have the qualifications for a BTEC Level 3 course even though I had 97% average in GAS and HUMSS strand. So I ended up doing a BTEC Level 2 course in IT. I plan to take up Computer Science too when I go to uni in 2020
lumenbestia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good day too! I think it's because I studied only until Grade 11 in the PH but the college didn't mention that. They only mentioned that my high school didn't include the computer science subject for my strand and my grades are only considered for Level 3 media related courses. I didn't know how the education system here works and I was confused by A-Levels, BTECs, Level 1,2,3 etc., so I just went ahead with Level 2 because my dad wanted me to take CompSci. I later realized in the middle of the year that I should have applied for media instead, but it's too late so my bad haha.
Good Day! Sorry for the late response. I wonder why the college told you you do not have the qualification to start at Level 3. According to my equivalent qualifications in the UKNARIC Grade 12 Graduates have Level 2 Qualifications that is why I am able to start in Level 3. I have taken the GAS and HUMMS Strand as well. I will be taking the computer science in uni in 2020 as well. By the way, which college are you currently studying right now? and what school did you graduated in the Philippines?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads