The Student Room Group

Living at student halls ??

Is living in halls worth all that money? Living at halls is too expensive for me also I am living not far away from uni but I don't want to miss that university experience. Do you know people who lived at home and still went hall party's or will I miss a lot?
It’s possible to have a social life whilst living at home, but it would require that you make significantly more effort with people and is most likely to happen if you’re naturally very extroverted, in any case it’s much more difficult to have the same university experience as far as partying and going out is concerned if you’re living at home and not in halls, and likewise it’s much easier to be left feeling isolated when you’re commuting to and from university and home. There’s also the fact that going out with people can be a lot more difficult due to having to catch the last train or bus at x time.

Overall I wouldn’t recommend living at home and commuting but ultimately it’s about what you want out of university - be it a degree and more money or the classic university experience. It’s also worth checking how much your travel costs would be if you do decide to commute as it might surprise you how much train/bus fares add up to over a month if you’re going to and from uni most days of the week.
Original post by Chloee113
Is living in halls worth all that money? Living at halls is too expensive for me also I am living not far away from uni but I don't want to miss that university experience. Do you know people who lived at home and still went hall party's or will I miss a lot?

Hey There,

You can most definitely still have the university experience by living at home as you will find a lot of students actually do commute to university. If you want to partake in the social events then this will of course be possible. You may even find that when students find there own houses in 2nd and 3rd year that there commute may be similar to yours.

I personally lived at home and commuted and never once felt left out. You'll more than likely make friends that live on campus therefore you can always go around to their flat and join in on any social events they have there.

I hope this helps,
Tom :shakehand:
Original post by Chloee113

Hey! You can still meet people on your course etc but i think due to the little amount of time actually spent in uni its quiet hard if your not living in halls. It really depends on you and what you want from uni. Everyones experience is different. If your quite confident and can get on with people easily then you should be fine! Youll never fully get the whole uni experience living at home but if you dont mind that then thats fine!
Sophia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending