Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm not expecting any miricles just some advice, I'm happy to med it myself or if you think it needs something a bit more expert then just say so

Basically my PC is dire at the moment. I have no idea if there are infectons anywhere, the internet connection has been abnormally slow for about 2 months now, certain (spyware) programmes like webrates, kazza, won't uninstall yet aren't available to use, certain programmes seem to think my internet connection isn't available e.g. I tried installing windows live email new version yesterday just to see what it was like and apparently I wasn't connected to the internet .

Arrgh everything is just a mess. I'm not sure if it's the protection programmes I use (AVG and PC tools) or the abuse of my sister who has no idea what she's doing.

I'm basically the only one in my household that knows anything about PC's and there just seems so much for me to fix at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    back up your important files, and do a clean install would be easiest

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing an antivirus check first with something like Norton and take it from there.

If that doesn't work, I would probably back up anything important on an external hard drive, and then wipe the computer, hopefully eliminating all the nasties and giving you a fresh slate to work off.

ReputationRep:
    So wip the hard drive then re-install everything?

Does this mean re-installing windows too? Because we only have a "your system and driver disk" (the PC was bought from Tiny blurgh) and I don't know if Windows is on that :s

I sound so not tech-savvy but I am...

ReputationRep:
    dont use norton no!!!!

ReputationRep:
    dont use norton no

ReputationRep:
    format.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misswilliams)

Does this mean re-installing windows too? Because we only have a "your system and driver disk" (the PC was bought from Tiny blurgh) and I don't know if Windows is on that :s

ummm is a cd or floppy?
    if it is a cd:
    put it in the computer, restart and boot from the cd.
    if you get an XP setup appearing that is good news

exit the setup, save all your files, then repeat the above instructions and reinstall XP.

ReputationRep:
    AVG Free is superior in everyway. Norton is almost like the virus that its supposed to be protecting you against...

ReputationRep:
    save everything vital to an external. then re-format your computer.

ReputationRep:
    what connection are you running on your internet is adsl or cable

router or adsl box

ReputationRep:
    Back up all ur data, while u can, cos i daresay it will get worse. Then wipe ur pc and reinstall windows

ReputationRep:

Yup. Your choices are:

Boot your computer with that disc in (hit any key to boot from CD when prompted). This will re-install everything. You will lose any files that are on the computer, so make sure you back them up. You will then have to install all your other programs (firefox, msn, etc.). This will make a big difference though.

You can perform a load of routine tasks, such as scanning for viruses, spyware, etc. Doing a disk clean-up, defragment, things like these. Also look at your start-up programs. Probably just as time-consuming as above, but you have the benefit of being able to use your computer at the same time, and you can do some of the job each night if you want. Expect less of a difference though.

Post and we can help you more on whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Alright, wiping your hard drive should be a last resort.

First off, download Spybot S&D, update and then run that. It should remove a lot of the crap off your computer after its first run through. Then, install Ccleaner and you can use that to get rid of the programs that won't uninstall normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footy99)
    Alright, wiping your hard drive should be a last resort.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    ummm is a cd or floppy?
    if it is a cd:
    put it in the computer, restart and boot from the cd.
    if you get an XP setup appearing that is good news

exit the setup, save all your files, then repeat the above instructions and reinstall XP.
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Yup. Your choices are:

Boot your computer with that disc in (hit any key to boot from CD when prompted). This will re-install everything. You will lose any files that are on the computer, so make sure you back them up. You will then have to install all your other programs (firefox, msn, etc.). This will make a big difference though.

You can perform a load of routine tasks, such as scanning for viruses, spyware, etc. Doing a disk clean-up, defragment, things like these. Also look at your start-up programs. Probably just as time-consuming as above, but you have the benefit of being able to use your computer at the same time, and you can do some of the job each night if you want. Expect less of a difference though.

Post and we can help you more on whatever you decide
    Right...

1. The driver cd is just that, motherboards, drivers, adobe but alas no windows. :rolleyes:

2. I've done the whole scanning, changing performance, start up processes etc before. It did speed it up a considerable amount but to be honest it's still just screwed.

Sooo let's wipe the damn thing!
    Obviously however I need a windows disk and a hard drive, right? Which I currently don't have :p:
    So I need to get a windows disk, hard drive, wipe this, install drivers, then windows, get the firewall in place, then start loading back on msn, firefox etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Why?
    Because there are usually ways to get rid of the annoying programs through various bits of software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footy99)
    Because there are usually ways to get rid of the annoying programs through various bits of software.
    I think it goes a bit futher on this PC as in programmes won't uninstall at all? Files have obviously been deleted/programmes not uninstalled properly and it's
    just being an arse because of it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Right...

1. The driver cd is just that, motherboards, drivers, adobe but alas no windows. :rolleyes:

2. I've done the whole scanning, changing performance, start up processes etc before. It did speed it up a considerable amount but to be honest it's still just screwed.

Obviously however I need a windows disk and a hard drive, right? Which I currently don't have :p:
    So I need to get a windows disk, hard drive, wipe this, install drivers, then windows, get the firewall in place, then start loading back on msn, firefox etc?
    do you have another computer or someone you know that has an XP cd of the same type( Home or Pro)?
    you can use theirs if necessary and enter you XP license on the side of the case.

ReputationRep:
    Right...

Hmm... I'm not convinced, still have a feeling that the driver disk is actually a restore disk. Stick it in, reboot the machine and see if it asks to boot from it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.