The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2019- Discussion and Help

Poll

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

SQA Results Day 2019 is on Tuesday 6th August this year!

Everyone will receive results by post, and if you've signed up to mySQA, you should receive a text or email from SQA on or just after 8am on results day.

This is the place for all things results day, so whether you just want to chat to some other students, have some questions about results day, or you need any help or advice on the day itself, there will be a team of TSRians here to help

So, how's everyone feeling about it?

Other SQA Results Threads and Useful Articles

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For once I'm actually quite scared because I'm second guessing all my exams and I have a conditional offer to meet :s-smilie:
I’m terrified of Results Day. I have predicted 4As and a B at higher, but considering how the English and French exams went I think I’ll let myself down.

Predicted Grades:

English - A
French - A
Mandarin - A
Music - A
Modern Studies - B

What I think I’ll get:

English - C or D
French - B
Mandarin - A
Music - A
Modern Studies - B

I’ve signed up for exam results by text so I can just see them ASAP and process the grades. Nonetheless, I’m terrified of what my results could mean for my future.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Can’t wait though I’ve started to doubt that I’ll meet my conditions for chemistry. The exam was difficult and some of the questions were odd so idk where I’ll get marks. At first I was hoping for an A but now I’m scared I’ll het a C when I need a B for uni 😅
Best scenario:
(Nat 5)
English - B
Business - B
Computing - A

Bad scenario:
English - C
Business - B
Computing - A or B

Worse scenario:
English - C
Business - C
Computing - B
Reply 5
People that sat Higher Maths this year - what do you think about where the grade boundaries will be placed?
Original post by goldilocks12
For once I'm actually quite scared because I'm second guessing all my exams and I have a conditional offer to meet :s-smilie:

What course/uni is it you've got conditions for? :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
What course/uni is it you've got conditions for? :smile:

It's modern languages at Durham and I need AAA in my advanced highers :woo:
Original post by JonNiels18
I’m terrified of Results Day. I have predicted 4As and a B at higher, but considering how the English and French exams went I think I’ll let myself down.

Predicted Grades:

English - A
French - A
Mandarin - A
Music - A
Modern Studies - B

What I think I’ll get:

English - C or D
French - B
Mandarin - A
Music - A
Modern Studies - B

I’ve signed up for exam results by text so I can just see them ASAP and process the grades. Nonetheless, I’m terrified of what my results could mean for my future.

Those grades would still be a good set of results, that would leave you with lots of options open for the future, so don't let yourself be too stressed out just now about them...With a subject like English, it's so subjective and lots of people think it went worse than it did every year, so you won't be alone in that one! Are you staying on for S6 or do you have conditions to meet this year?
It's modern languages at Durham and I need AAA in my advanced highers :woo:

:eek: Those are some high requirements, but hope you get what you need on results day! (and whatever the outcome, there will be people here who can help :smile:)
Original post by _nim1
Can’t wait though I’ve started to doubt that I’ll meet my conditions for chemistry. The exam was difficult and some of the questions were odd so idk where I’ll get marks. At first I was hoping for an A but now I’m scared I’ll het a C when I need a B for uni 😅

Is it higher or AH you were doing? It's difficult to predict what the grade boundaries or marking scheme will be like (especially if others found the exam a bit strange too), but remember your assignment/project counts towards your grade as well :smile: If you're worried about your grades, it would be worth having a think about what your options might be in advance (while a lot of them might seem 'really bad', they'll unlikely be the end of the world in the grand scheme!), and otherwise hoping for the best as you've done all you can now! :smile:
Those grades would still be a good set of results, that would leave you with lots of options open for the future, so don't let yourself be too stressed out just now about them...With a subject like English, it's so subjective and lots of people think it went worse than it did every year, so you won't be alone in that one! Are you staying on for S6 or do you have conditions to meet this year?

No, I don’t have conditions to meet this year. I’m staying on for S6 and doing 3 Advanced Highers - French, Mandarin and Music. Right now, I don’t know which university to apply to or what I should be doing at university.
Original post by JonNiels18
No, I don’t have conditions to meet this year. I’m staying on for S6 and doing 3 Advanced Highers - French, Mandarin and Music. Right now, I don’t know which university to apply to or what I should be doing at university.

Although (in my experience at least), schools will often make you think that you need to know what you want to do, it's totally okay if you don't! Have you been able to visit any universities or had a look at uni websites? The people in the universities forums here are really helpful too, so if you have questions about any courses, unis, etc. they'll be happy to help :smile: If you're still undecided, a gap year might be a good option for you? You'd be able to earn some money while figuring out what you want to do- as long as you use it productively, it wouldn't put you at a disadvantage for applying to unis. There's lots of options, so don't be too worried by being unsure- lots of people in S5 (and older!) are :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Although (in my experience at least), schools will often make you think that you need to know what you want to do, it's totally okay if you don't! Have you been able to visit any universities or had a look at uni websites? The people in the universities forums here are really helpful too, so if you have questions about any courses, unis, etc. they'll be happy to help :smile: If you're still undecided, a gap year might be a good option for you? You'd be able to earn some money while figuring out what you want to do- as long as you use it productively, it wouldn't put you at a disadvantage for applying to unis. There's lots of options, so don't be too worried by being unsure- lots of people in S5 (and older!) are :smile:

Thanks, I have been considering doing a gap year before. I’m moving abroad with my family after I leave school next year, so maybe a gap year could be a good chance to see what could be best for me. If I go straight to university it would feel a bit abrupt and uncomfortable, because it’s obviously such a massive leap from school.
Reply 14
Is it higher or AH you were doing? It's difficult to predict what the grade boundaries or marking scheme will be like (especially if others found the exam a bit strange too), but remember your assignment/project counts towards your grade as well :smile: If you're worried about your grades, it would be worth having a think about what your options might be in advance (while a lot of them might seem 'really bad', they'll unlikely be the end of the world in the grand scheme!), and otherwise hoping for the best as you've done all you can now! :smile:

Advanced higher... at first I was confident with my project but now I'm doubting it lol but nothing I can do now. I have an unconditional as my insurance choice but its technically my 4th choice because I got rejected from my first 2 so I'm not sure how I'd feel about doing that. Hopefully it won't come to that :redface:
Reply 15
Post results, is there any way of finding out your bands/breakdown before going back to school? This is largely to make decisions about applying to English Unis (where they ask for bands)
Original post by 123543
Post results, is there any way of finding out your bands/breakdown before going back to school? This is largely to make decisions about applying to English Unis (where they ask for bands)

My school always opens on results day for people to discuss options with teachers etc so we all go in and get a copy of our breakdowns then. If your school also does then you should be able to go in quickly to find out. It’s worth noting that the only uni to ask for your bands (as far as I know) is Cambridge because they are part of your SAQ but all other unis won’t see them :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Yeah, I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge and it's just sort of to find out if it's worth applying and to begin preparing for the SAQ if necessary. Think I could just pop into the school? I'll check my school's website for more details.

Thank you :smile:
My school always opens on results day for people to discuss options with teachers etc so we all go in and get a copy of our breakdowns then. If your school also does then you should be able to go in quickly to find out. It’s worth noting that the only uni to ask for your bands (as far as I know) is Cambridge because they are part of your SAQ but all other unis won’t see them :smile:
I sat Higher Maths this year and to be honest I think the exam was very fair.
I found paper 1 much easier however peers at my school had mixed feelings so I'm unsure I think it'll just be roughly the average grade boundaries, so between 69-71% for an A.

How do you think you did? I'm hoping for an A.
Original post by 123543
People that sat Higher Maths this year - what do you think about where the grade boundaries will be placed?
Reply 19
I thought it was ok overall, most difficult since 2015 but not to an unfair extent.

I can't remember too much about the specifics but iirc paper 1 was better other than the final question.

I'm hoping for an A but I was ill in the exam so it's hard to judge. I had a look on DLB maths straight after the exam and think I just about pulled enough marks together for an A but then I may have been too generous.

Original post by fucthesqa
I sat Higher Maths this year and to be honest I think the exam was very fair.
I found paper 1 much easier however peers at my school had mixed feelings so I'm unsure I think it'll just be roughly the average grade boundaries, so between 69-71% for an A.

How do you think you did? I'm hoping for an A.

Quick Reply

Latest