The Student Room Group

Retakes at Oxbridge

Hi guys, I will start my postgraduate degree in Economics at Cambridge upcoming academic year. I was wondering what kind of system Oxbridge uses for resits. More specifically, how bad do you have to do to be required to retake the course (i.e., not pass the exam)? The university I come from (non-UK) is pretty strict, below 55% of the exam correct means you do not pass.
Original post by SubEconomist
Hi guys, I will start my postgraduate degree in Economics at Cambridge upcoming academic year. I was wondering what kind of system Oxbridge uses for resits. More specifically, how bad do you have to do to be required to retake the course (i.e., not pass the exam)? The university I come from (non-UK) is pretty strict, below 55% of the exam correct means you do not pass.

I'm not sure because I've not been to university yet, but I don't think there are any resits unless you have extenuating circumstances. I could be wrong because I read this a long while ago.
Original post by Galatic
I'm not sure because I've not been to university yet, but I don't think there are any resits unless you have extenuating circumstances. I could be wrong because I read this a long while ago.

That would imply that you always pass the course, just sometimes with terrible grades?
Original post by SubEconomist
That would imply that you always pass the course, just sometimes with terrible grades?

Or you can fail!
Original post by threeportdrift
Or you can fail!

And what would be the consequence if you do?
So if you get below 40% you flat out fail and unless there was extenuating circumstances, you would get kicked out/ not get your degree. Only exception is medicine I think where there are retakes since it's a vocational course.
Important to remember that most subjects have a majority of exams at the end of the year, the only continually assessed work would be coursework. In other words there are no tests for each individual classes throughout the year. Depending on the subject, it is possible to fail some modules and still pass overall as long as your average is 40% or more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending