Gianab91
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there! I've just finished my undergrad degree. I got a 78 on my dissertation with the feedback saying 'it's a fresh and innovative analysis of a text we all thought we knew so well (Great Gatsby)' and the markers actually learned something from reading it. I understand the MLitt at Cambridge university is quite the leap as it is a piece of work that is 60,000 words long and it's purely research for two years as opposed to being taught. However, I find research more fascinating and engaging with critics is more appealing to me instead of the conventional MA course. Would I stand a chance at all if I apply for the MLitt or is there no hope?
Thanks so much
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe the MLitt is normally taken by those who are either initially admitted to the PhD but would be unable to graduate with it, or those who have limitations on how long they can study (e.g. due to finite funding, or military staff who have been given only two years leave to do a postgrad research course).

The Faculty of English at Cambridge specifically notes: "In recent years the Faculty has admitted very few students for this degree. It is generally felt that many candidates would benefit more from a one-year, taught course such as an MPhil, or from a full three year period of research for the PhD".

If you're interested in postgrad research, I'd suggest looking at PhD programmes (at Cambridge or elsewhere). I'd note Cambridge normally expects you to have a masters before embarking on the PhD (which seems a common requirement for arts/humanities PhDs generally). While the masters courses are "taught", it's worth bearing in mind the format of assessment and structure of taught components are normally different between UG and PG students.

To wit, the masters courses in English at Cambridge are normally assessed by two extended essays (of around 5k words) and a dissertation (of 12-15k words), so you will be doing research and extended prose writing, similar to your dissertation, in the "taught" elements on the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads