School direct program unpaid or paid Watch

SuzieMarie94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Okay I’ll keep this as short and sweet as I can.
How do you get through your year where you aren’t earning.
I understand with this your training is fully paid for but how about your day to day living mortgage bills food etc you can not live on fresh air after all!
How do you guys go about affording your day to day living costs?
Is there something that your entitled to as a training teacher to help cover these costs?

Back story Im recently married it’s my husband who is the training teacher just starting year 2 with the open university.
I work 45 hour weeks and even with my income I cannot afford to cover all our living expenses on my own.
Any advise would be fabulous or just even how you survived if you were in a similar situation.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All trainee teachers on unsalaried routes are entitled to student maintenance loans- as a student, he's also entitled to some help like not having to pay council tax (so you would get single person discount). Teaching qualifications are exempt from the equivalent qualifications rules, so he should always be entitled to this.

For many subjects at secondary level there are additional bursaries:
https://getintoteaching.education.go...acher-training

As you say your husband is going into his second year, is he training part time? Is there a reason for this, and could he speed up his training so he can start earning? Or, if he's only training part time, is there any scope for him to pick up a part time job?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is he going to teach? Many subjects in secondary attract a lucrative bursary. You can also apply for student finance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (148)
17.62%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.81%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed