Jeff-0113
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Right now I’m in set 3 for English I’m going to year 9 would I still be able to get like a grade 7-9 in gcse or do I need to be a higher set
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It doesn't really matter what set you are as long as you work hard you can get those grades
epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Of course. With hard work you can achieve any grade. The only problem with being in a lower set for English is that your teacher won’t push you as much to a grade 7-9. Continue to keep your reading up and practicing writing. Maybe look online as to how to analyse language for English or improving creative writing. You will only be in Year 9 which is plenty of time to improve!
(Original post by Jeff-0113)
Right now I’m in set 3 for English I’m going to year 9 would I still be able to get like a grade 7-9 in gcse or do I need to be a higher set
Alaska215
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Absolutely not: I got 2 9’s at English GCSE and I was in the bottom set - only made me work harder to achieve my results!
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
To an extent it matters as they'll make it easier to access higher-grade material but if you're prepared to work and be resourceful, many sources on YT can help you (Mr Salles, Mr Bruff, Stacey Reay), etc.
PrazzPrazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
definitely not, considering i was in the same situation and i ended up working hard enough to get a 9 in english so u can do the same
ImAMassiveNerd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can absolutely! I'm in set 3 and got a pathway 8.
Also, the fact that you care about your GCSEs this early, shows that you are dedicated! Good job! If you care about it, it will be easy!

Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was in a mixed-ability class, and I got my two 9s in English.
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Better to be in a high set because if you're capable of it then there's no point being with set 8 kids
Fsofoxy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
English has no tier so it honestly doesn’t matter what set you are in
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It doesn't matter. The only downside I can see is that the teacher might not teach you the stuff needed to get the top grades. However, there's plenty of GCSE English resources out there so you can just do it yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate