Turn on thread page Beta

bulking up - how to fit it in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im trying to bulk up a bit, but im not sure how to go about this. i can't seem to find a good way of fitting wieghts into my training program, and i don't have access to a gym. i have a 20kg spinlock dumbell set, which i think i need to buy some more weight for, because i can lift 10kg on each bicep reasonably well. also, does anyone know where i can get a basic bench for bench press, etc, that is not too expensive or large? should i get some bar bells? also is it possible to get free standing pull up bar frames?
    my current program is:
    monday:
    30 minute run
    circuits, consisting of: 3 sets of press ups, knees to chest, squats, alt knee to elbow, tricep dips, half sits, lunges.

teusday:
    45 minute run/bike ride
    circuit

wednesday:
    rest

thursday:
    30 minute run
    circuit

friday:
    45 minute run/bike ride
    circuit

saturday:
    30 minute run
    circuit

sunday:
    rest
    how can i incorporate weights into this? and how can i bulk up a bit without affecting my running performance?
    is it possible to bulk up using only bodyweight excercises?

ReputationRep:
    for bulking thats not good theres too much cardio there. You need to buy a barbell and a bench you can buy them from loads of places, try argos.

try doing weights 3x a week
    using these workouts
    A
    Squats 3x5
    cleans 5x3
    Military press 3x5

B
    squats 3x5
    Deadlifts 1x5
    Bench press 3x5

and alternate them, its called rippetoes starting strength and its amazing. if you do it right you should be upping weights evey week and making big gains.

Cut back on the cardio, 1-2 week is fine if your bulking, unless your eating loads every day.

If you bulk up using rippetoes, running performance wont be affected, you will have a very strong core, legs and posterior chain- very good for running!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help. would i still be able to do press ups while doing that weight routine? would it improve my pressups?
    also, i need to be running around 5 days per week, will this affect bulking at all?
    is this a good bench? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bbenches.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zero 1)
    thanks for the help. would i still be able to do press ups while doing that weight routine? would it improve my pressups?
    also, i need to be running around 5 days per week, will this affect bulking at all?
    is this a good bench? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bbenches.htm
    dont worry too much about pressups, you'll be benching 3x a fortnight which is much better forchest and tricep development. Running will be fine when buking, as long as you take into account the extra calories burnt(you need to be taking in more calories than you burn to bulk) invest in a HR monitor to give you a decent idea (about £10). Bench looks fine, if a little short, but that will only matter if your mentally tall like me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Creatine.

ReputationRep:
    thats a good point, its actually dirt cheap for what it is!

ReputationRep:
    creatine is useless unless you're doing enough excesize, all supplements are
    Nothing will make you get bigger except low rep, high intensity excersizes.

bodyweightculture.com has some great excersizes- there's no need to fork out for a bench and weights

ReputationRep:
    what, creatine is good, dirt cheap, and rippetoes is plenty of suppliments.

Yes thankyou the plan i gave, rippetoes is high intensity low reps.

There is a need to fork out for a barbell, to do rippetoes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    what, creatine is good, dirt cheap, and rippetoes is plenty of suppliments.

Yes thankyou the plan i gave, rippetoes is high intensity low reps.

There is a need to fork out for a barbell, to do rippetoes
    And weights, and a bench, and a rack...

I was considering using creatine at one point, but if the persons into sports as I expect he is I don't think its usually recommended as its adding "dead-weight" (ie youre getting bigger but not a lot stronger in comparison). Not really sure about the science behind this, its just what I've been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)

I was considering using creatine at one point, but if the persons into sports as I expect he is I don't think its usually recommended as its adding "dead-weight" (ie youre getting bigger but not a lot stronger in comparison). Not really sure about the science behind this, its just what I've been told.
    i managed to buy a bench, and barbell for £30 a few years back. With about 80kg of weights as well, thats not expensive at all. Hell the OP could build a squat rack if he wanted.

I suspect that the OP is a sprinter, in which case creatine is deffo recommended, all professional sprinters use it, it gives you massive power boosts. its not dead weight, it improves the availablity of nutirents to muscles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    i managed to buy a bench, and barbell for £30 a few years back. With about 80kg of weights as well, thats not expensive at all. Hell the OP could build a squat rack if he wanted.

I suspect that the OP is a sprinter, in which case creatine is deffo recommended, all professional sprinters use it, it gives you massive power boosts. its not dead weight, it improves the availablity of nutirents to muscles
    Sorry I should have specified endurance sports. I think over time the weight it adds negates the boost it gives.

Where abouts did you get all that stuff for so cheap!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)

I don't know, I've gotten stronger using creatine and gained little to no weight.

Getting stronger might have been to do with the fact that I train, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)

i run reasonably fast, but im more into endurance running.
    how much weight do you recomend that i should get?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think creatine makes you stronger at all, well it doesnt me, however it does make your max strength last that bit longer. it also makes you retain alot of water in muscle when you first start using it.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.