The Student Room Group

Parking on the pavement

Hi guys,
I recently passed my test and am driving my car. Whoop!! However, where I live I have to park on the curb/pavement. E.g half the car has to be on the pavement. I’ve tried the parallel parking method I was taught but that way just doesnt work in a tight space on the curb. So I wanted to know if anyone could give me tips on pointers on how to perfect it.
It literally take me 15mins just to park perfectly on curb. But I have to learn because this is how I have to park in my area/ outside my house.
Don’t park on the pavement. Park nearby and walk to your house.
Original post by Bribrid
Hi guys,
I recently passed my test and am driving my car. Whoop!! However, where I live I have to park on the curb/pavement. E.g half the car has to be on the pavement. I’ve tried the parallel parking method I was taught but that way just doesnt work in a tight space on the curb. So I wanted to know if anyone could give me tips on pointers on how to perfect it.
It literally take me 15mins just to park perfectly on curb. But I have to learn because this is how I have to park in my area/ outside my house.

What method were you taught..? There's no difference, except you will have to be more confident of your positioning as you'll need a bit of power to get up the kerb.
Reply 3
Parking on a pavement can land you a PCN as your putting pedestrians safety into danger. I’m not sure what your parking space looks like but either park so your car is half on road half on pavement or park elsewhere just to avoid the fine
Why. Why do it.
For those of us who live in the real world, parking on the pavement is sometimes the only practical solution.
Reply 6
Q

Original post by storm95
Parking on a pavement can land you a PCN as your putting pedestrians safety into danger. I’m not sure what your parking space looks like but either park so your car is half on road half on pavement or park elsewhere just to avoid the fine

If you ready the post, I did say half the car has to be on the pavement.
Original post by julietlima3
For those of us who live in the real world, parking on the pavement is sometimes the only practical solution.

Blocking the pavement for pedestrians, wheelchairs and pushchairs and forcing those people to walk on the road is horrendously selfish and illegal.
Reply 8
Nobody is doing that tho. There are marking on the actual pavement that tell you to park. Park in the marked bags with half ur car on the pavement and the other on the road. So all of u ready to fight people need to calm down and explore more.
Original post by PQ
Blocking the pavement for pedestrians, wheelchairs and pushchairs and forcing those people to walk on the road is horrendously selfish and illegal.
Original post by Bribrid
Nobody is doing that tho. There are marking on the actual pavement that tell you to park. Park in the marked bags with half ur car on the pavement and the other on the road. So all of u ready to fight people need to calm down and explore more.

It's almost as if this was relevant info you should have included in your first post.

The method will be exactly the same, you just need to be careful as you'll need more revs to get up the kerb.
Put more gas onto it as like the other person above said u need more revs but be mindful in case u go over or if theres an obstruction so keep ur foot ready to brake if needed. I had to do that during my lessons also and i only just recently passed
Reply 11
“However, where I live I have to park on the curb/pavement. E.g half the car has to be on the pavement.”

If you go back to the top and read this is what it says. So actually all the relevant info was above. Thanks have a nice day. (Also read clearly before you attempt to make a point and fail)

Original post by Admit-One
It's almost as if this was relevant info you should have included in your first post.

The method will be exactly the same, you just need to be careful as you'll need more revs to get up the kerb.
Original post by Bribrid
“However, where I live I have to park on the curb/pavement. E.g half the car has to be on the pavement.”

If you go back to the top and read this is what it says. So actually all the relevant info was above. Thanks have a nice day. (Also read clearly before you attempt to make a point and fail)

Yes, you didn’t mention a bay in your first post at all.

“Half the car has to be on the pavement” is very distinct from “the defined parking bays are half on the pavement”. Hence people correctly advising you not to use the pavement.

Best of luck with your parking.
Original post by PQ

This is unrealistic in most areas of Victorian terraced housing. The street widths inclusive of two pavements are 36 feet wide from the 1870s but are often 30 feet wide or so before that date. These are streets with two way traffic and usually with parking on both sides of the road because there is literally nowhere else to park in the district.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by PQ

So is obstructing a public highway - unfortunately sometimes you need to decide which is worse.

On my road, we all park on the pavement; if we don't, we block the road. Wheelchairs and pushchairs can still get past. Still against the law, but it's not a problem.

Tighter streets will have bigger issues.
Reply 15
Practice makes perfect. Its a task for control at slow speed. Get the back end of the car where it needs to be first and then use the steering to swing the front of the car in at the end. Front and rear sensors help with tight spaces. I live in a narrow Victorian street with parking at a premium and it has taken a while to perfect getting in to a space just over a cars length.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending