The Student Room Group

How charitable are you?

Alternatively: How likely to be conned are you? :redface:

Just donated £2.50 to some form of charity, people knocking at my door. It shouldn't matter but I can't help wondering how much other people would donate, and whether they'd do it with such ease.

Most of the time I avoid people living on the streets, walking on other pavements, avoiding eyecontact. There was a really poor grandma once though, where's the family?! :eek:

Anybody ever been caught out by panhandlers? :mad:
There's so many situations where I gave free money away to some guy with some lame story about how he had been kicked out of his house. Need to stand up more.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I sponsor a child
Reply 2
What have kids with leukaemia ever done for me?
Reply 3
if i get asked directly i always end up giving some money :s-smilie: i'm pretty easily conned so try to avoid eye contact with charity people on the streets

i have my charities which are both animal charities which i know some people disagree with but i much rather give money to animals than people
Reply 4
I really only donate money to these sort of things

First Responders (never know when you might need one)
Air Ambulance (never know when you might need one)
Various Preserved railways (Espically the Severn Valley Railway as they still need the money after costing 3.5 Million to repair flood damage last year)
Poppy Trust
and any for the military.

But i tend to try and avoid the Red Cross, Oxfam, as they give aid to other countries that are becoming too dependent, and they can't help people here first.
Reply 5
I give money to beggars in the street, if that counts as being charitable.
Reply 6
I don't usually give money to those there-are-starving-kids-in-Africa people.

Most of the money goes in "administrative costs" and the rest of it either gets lost by the receiving bank in Africa or is used in buying more Mercedes cars to the country's health minister.

I don't feel I'm being excessively cynical, either. Living 2 years in Mozambique pretty much showed the reality of so-called development aid and of so-called charity :s-smilie:
I wouldn't give money to door-knockers but I often buy stuff in Oxfam shops and occasionally donate online.
Reply 8
I give change to charities, but I'm not a regular donor (by direct debit) or anything like that.
Reply 9
So you'd actually send these people away?

>_> No. Bai
I donate £2 a month to NSPCC by direct debit. Keep meaning to donate to the RSPCA as well.
K0ntraband
What have kids with leukaemia ever done for me?

haha :biggrin:
Reply 12
little_green
I donate £2 a month to NSPCC by direct debit. Keep meaning to donate to the RSPCA as well.

The RSPCA!!!! God I dislike them...they have more money, time, effort, technology going into the health of animals in this country than half the world has into human life....I got nothing against them animal folk but u cnt compare the value of a human and animal life..
Reply 13
chris89-2
I really only donate money to these sort of things

First Responders (never know when you might need one)
Air Ambulance (never know when you might need one)
Various Preserved railways (Espically the Severn Valley Railway as they still need the money after costing 3.5 Million to repair flood damage last year)
Poppy Trust
and any for the military.

But i tend to try and avoid the Red Cross, Oxfam, as they give aid to other countries that are becoming too dependent, and they can't help people here first.

Why not cancer research (never know when you might need that)
or british heart foundation (never know when you might need that).

Just wondering.

Personally I don't tend to donate money directly but I do buy most my clothes from charity shops, and donate old clothes, books, toys, loads of stuff to them as well.
Reply 14
I avoid charity workers in the street. Saves hassle.
I work for a local charity but i dont regularly donate to other charities.
Reply 16
Ooooh £2.50 EHHhh Big Spendarrrr!!!! :wink:

I usually give to homeless people, if I'm approached I usually give money. However I am more likely to give to a homeless man than someone with a clipboard.
I'd rather actually do something worthwhile, like donating directly to a fund where they build schools or the like, and can see what my money is doing.
I usually give money to buskers if they're decent. I'm probably more likely to if they look like they need it and/or have a dog with them. I once stopped and had a ten-minute chat with a busker in York named Kingsley (anyone know him?) He was a drama-student at York St. Johns, and had Logorrhoea, i.e. verbal diarrhoea (look it up; it's real). Anyway, I got all the juicy gossip on his love life too.

I usually ask my mum to give a bit more to comic relief over the phone, and then make up the difference with her. And I give in those little boxes in shops :smile:.

I'm averagely charitable, really.
I buy the Big Issue, and clothes/books from Oxfam. I don't give money to street chuggers, or people who come to the door; I don't like being emotionally blackmailed.

Latest

Trending

Trending