The Student Room Group

'She does not approve of me' HELPP!!!!!

Does it make sense to say 'she does not approve of me' in the context being that your family member does not talk to you much because you say you don't want to marry as your not straight
Reply 1
Help!:smile: x
I'm truly sorry if you have a family member who doesn't approve of your not wanting to get married because you are not straight. That must feel very hurtful. Your family member also has feelings and whether or not you, or me, or anyone else like her opinions she is allowed to have her own opinions as you are allowed to have your own. Each person is entitled to feel what is right for them. You are most likely not going to change this relative's mind. Depending on if this relative is your mom, cousin, aunt, etc. depends on how much you want to take this on. If it is your parent then, yes, you need to work through this with her as respectfully as possible. Perhaps you could both go to counseling together to get an unbiased third party to help mediate so you both can see each other's prospective. If it is a cousin etc. then perhaps it is not someone you need to worry about how they feel and if there are family events just respectfully steer clear of that person. Just keep being you but be respectful and keep away from family drama. If this person is mean spirited and is causing drama in your life you can cut them out of your life if that is what you need to do. Does it make sense? Yes, in that she doesn't agree with you on sexuality but unless you want to work the differences out with this person just ignore and live your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending