Prestigious UK Uni's? Watch

CaptainY
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
how could anyone possibly consider UCL *and* QMUL together other than the fact they're both in London? i hope you've visited. QMUL is like a university version of London itself... in other words a shithole, whereas UCL is at least a research powerhouse. do consider unis outside of London though.
$$$$$$$$$$$ Its all about the Benjamin's baby. I have plenty of funding for QMUL and not UCL. In the US, neither of these universities are well known so name recognition is not a factor for me. I am not necessarily going into research either.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CaptainY)
$$$$$$$$$$$ Its all about the Benjamin's baby. I have plenty of funding for QMUL and not UCL. In the US, neither of these universities are well known so name recognition is not a factor for me. I am not necessarily going into research either.
which unis are well known in the US? pretty sure UCL is, Gandhi did a degree there...
CaptainY
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
which unis are well known in the US? pretty sure UCL is, Gandhi did a degree there...
In the US, the only universities that are well known among the general public are Oxbridge and LSE. In academia, I would also include UCL, St. Andrews, King's, and Imperial. I got my undergrad degree from a top public school in the country and almost no one here had heard of UCL other than professors.
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how could anyone possibly consider UCL *and* QMUL together other than the fact they're both in London? i hope you've visited. QMUL is like a university version of London itself... in other words a shithole, whereas UCL is at least a research powerhouse. do consider unis outside of London though.
You sound like an absolute delightful person to be around, you sound nothing like an unbearable snob at all lol.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
You sound like an absolute delightful person to be around, you sound nothing like an unbearable snob at all lol.
i am a delightful person to be around. i am a university snob though you are right, but regardless, my problem with QMUL is about the disgusting London environment rather than the quality of education necessarily
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
where did you do your undergrad? UCL is top 15-20 in all of the global league tables but that doesnt matter. just avoid QMUL unless you've visited and come away with the impression it was the Garden of Eden...
(Original post by CaptainY)
In the US, the only universities that are well known among the general public are Oxbridge and LSE. In academia, I would also include UCL, St. Andrews, King's, and Imperial. I got my undergrad degree from a top public school in the country and almost no one here had heard of UCL other than professors.
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i am a delightful person to be around. i am a university snob though you are right, but regardless, my problem with QMUL is about the disgusting London environment rather than the quality of education necessarily
Oh right fair, yeah I guess you are right, I've lived in this city all my life so I'm used to the more grimy areas of the city.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
Oh right fair, yeah I guess you are right, I've lived in this city all my life so I'm used to the more grimy areas of the city.
i am from London too, and i think it should be nuked
CaptainY
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
where did you do your undergrad? UCL is top 15-20 in all of the global league tables but that doesnt matter. just avoid QMUL unless you've visited and come away with the impression it was the Garden of Eden...
I graduated from UC Berkeley. East London is not the nicest but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in England other than London so that narrows things down for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads