Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Now i have done my AS exams i hope i scored 3 A's in maths, physics, chem and B in bio. At A 2 i am gonna drop bio and pick up further maths AS.

Regarding to my GCSE's i got distinction in ICT GNVQ and A in maths, A in double science, A in history, A* in R.E., B in english lang, B in english lit, A in tamil (my native language) and I DID ALL MY GCSE in a year coming from india.

So, i want to apply to LSE for Accounting and finance or maths and economics, so how much of a chance do i stand getting into LSE ?

Thanks for the replies.
    -Bharath

ReputationRep:
    chances for math and econ = very very slim. Lack of Further Maths A2 as well as a lack of a*s plus some Bs at GCSE..

for acc and fin similarly slim, perhaps slightly higher and at least you've got good A level subjects, but I don't know enough about acc & fin to give you a better answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barath90)
    Now i have done my AS exams i hope i scored 3 A's in maths, physics, chem and B in bio. At A 2 i am gonna drop bio and pick up further maths AS.

Regarding to my GCSE's i got distinction in ICT GNVQ and A in maths, A in double science, A in history, A* in R.E., B in english lang, B in english lit, A in tamil (my native language) and I DID ALL MY GCSE in a year coming from india.

So, i want to apply to LSE for Accounting and finance or maths and economics, so how much of a chance do i stand getting into LSE ?

Thanks for the replies.
    -Bharath
    People have gotten into both courses with one or two A*s at GCSE, and if you can stress the fact that you did it all in a year in both your reference and personal statement, then you stand a chance--not a great one, but a chance.

ReputationRep:
    start by learning that realistical isn't a word..

other than that you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Well if i was an admissions tutor, i'd definitely consider you. I mean, That many GCSEs in 1 year, when english isn't even your native tongue. It's not just the grades that are considered in an application but your capacity to learn, and i'd say you definitely show that.

I would definitely encourage you to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)
    Well if i was an admissions tutor, i'd definitely consider you. I mean, That many GCSEs in 1 year, when english isn't even your native tongue. It's not just the grades that are considered in an application but your capacity to learn, and i'd say you definitely show that.

I would definitely encourage you to apply.
    Thanks for the reply, after reading your reply i am now positive about applying to LSE

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, after reading your reply i am now positive about applying to LSE
    Just dont get your hopes up

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure in your ref or personal statemnt it is explained fully why you got what you got at GCSE (only did it in one year) also when you put down what school you went to they ask from what date you started and finished so if you went to high school for one year im sure they would understand.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they care too much about gcse's as long as they aren't bad (1 only got 1 A* and am an offer holder). I think your AS subjects are gonna bring you down. You're applying for a top maths course without A2 f. maths. I think at the talk we had everybody put their hand up when the guy asked if we did further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The man called Fellas)
    I don't think they care too much about gcse's as long as they aren't bad (1 only got 1 and am an offer holder). I think your AS subjects are gonna bring you down. You're applying for a top maths course without A2 f. maths. I think at the talk we had everybody put their hand up when the guy asked if we did further maths.
    what course do you have an offer for?

ReputationRep:
    maths n econ!

ReputationRep:
    that's hugely impressive! nice one!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they care too much about gcse's as long as they aren't bad (1 only got 1 A* and am an offer holder). I think your AS subjects are gonna bring you down. You're applying for a top maths course without A2 f. maths. I think at the talk we had everybody put their hand up when the guy asked if we did further maths.
    Well in my school they don't do further maths as full A level they only do it as AS, so i haven't got much option about it.
    thats y i am also considering accounting and finance which doesn't requires much maths because in LSE's prospectus it doesn't even says A level maths is required for accounting, so Do u think i will b in advantage doing further maths AS + step papers for accounting and finance ?

ReputationRep:
    True, they are not as stringent about GCSE results for Maths and Econ as they are with courses like Law and Econ department. Regarding Further Maths for Maths and Econ, it is helpful to your application but certainly not a requisite, so I would still recommend the OP to apply for this course.

ReputationRep:
    my mate with 9a* got rejected from maths nad econ this year because there were "candidates with better subject combos" ...he didnt do further maths..

ReputationRep:
    If you can't actually do A2 f. maths you can actually say that and they will of course not frown on it but it does seem odd to do it 2nd year rather than just as one of your as's.

My GCSE's wern't outstanding compared to other applicants but then again I did A level maths a year early which may have made me stand out. I got an interview at Cambridge (rejected) and was only rejected from warwick (both for econ) because I didn't do econ A level. The GCSE thing is a bit of a myth methinks. If you really are a superb candidate and you show that at A level, have a great PS etc. then you have a good chance (that said I really dunno what happened with sugar cane!)

I would say go for it, but I do question as to why you'd want to do a maths course at uni if you didn't take f. maths in the first year, after all most of us maths geeks have double maths down as our first subjects!

ReputationRep:
    haha sugar cane broke every rule in the book

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the replies.
    -Bharath
    Do apply, but also apply to lesser-ranked schools to be sure of gaining a place at some university.

And I'd say you stand more of a chance of being accepted into A&F than M&E.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't actually do A2 f. maths you can actually say that and they will of course not frown on it but it does seem odd to do it 2nd year rather than just as one of your as's.

My GCSE's wern't outstanding compared to other applicants but then again I did A level maths a year early which may have made me stand out. I got an interview at Cambridge (rejected) and was only rejected from warwick (both for econ) because I didn't do econ A level. The GCSE thing is a bit of a myth methinks. If you really are a superb candidate and you show that at A level, have a great PS etc. then you have a good chance (that said I really dunno what happened with sugar cane!)

I would say go for it, but I do question as to why you'd want to do a maths course at uni if you didn't take f. maths in the first year, after all most of us maths geeks have double maths down as our first subjects!
    In my school they don't further maths AS in the 1st year they only do it in year 13 for some strange reason

ReputationRep:
    HEy join the club! ;p my school in NZ doesnt even offer furthur maths at ALL!!!! lol. im applying for A+F aswel at least you stand a better chance than me. i do Maths eco bio and english lit at Alevel. Good luck with your application.!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.