Pilbo attempts TSRs Summer challenges!

Watch
PilboBaggins
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Hey everyone! :wavey:

As someone who loves the Winter (mmm rain) and avoids the sunshine at all costs, I thought I'd get involved with the TSR Summer Challenge 2019 and push myself out of my comfort zone.

Name:  desktop-600px (002) jpg.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  297.2 KB

Here are the 24 goals I need to complete by Saturday 31st August:

1. Discover a new beach (UK or abroad)
2. Have a movie marathon day
3. Travel somewhere new (local or abroad… wherever)
4. Create something (fashion, art, music, creative writing or anything)
5. Visit a museum
6. Go for a long walk
7. Read a book you haven’t read before
8. Have a picnic
9. Try a new sport or fitness activity (and keep it up)
10. Go on a camping trip
11. Be the one in charge of cooking at a BBQ
12. Have a water fight
13. Have a well-being day (e.g. pamper day, doing whatever you enjoy etc.)
14. Try a new recipe
15. Make your ultimate summer playlist
16. Inspire others by suggesting a free/low-cost thing to do where you live in this thread
17. Go on a hike
18. Invent a new smoothie
19. Take part in a random act of kindness
20. Host a party, gathering or mini festival
21. Learn a new skill
22. Write a bucket list and see how much you can tick off by the end of summer
23. Volunteer somewhere
24. Do something towards getting your dream job (prep your CV, find apprenticeships/internships to apply to etc.)

My summer bucket list additions:
25. Finish decorating the house
26. Watch 10 new movies
27. Paint 10 new Warhammer miniatures
28. Keep up swimming twice a week
29. Start a bullet journal
30. Try 5 new restaurants

I love having a timeline and challenge to work towards!

I can see that there will be some I might struggle with more than others. (Tbh, movie marathon is right up my street, and as a self-confessed book worm I'll be reading a lot by the end of summer).

I'm especially excited to get involved with more of the fitness and exercise related challenges as I'm pushing myself to be more active at the moment and hopefully this will give me a burst of much needed motivation!

If you'd like to get involved with TSRs Summer Challenge, you can find out more information here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6016840

Good luck to all of you entering, let's make 2019 a summer to remember! :bubbles:

Last edited by PilboBaggins; 1 year ago
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PilboBaggins)

Hey everyone! :wavey:

As someone who loves the Winter (mmm rain) and avoids the sunshine at all costs, I thought I'd get involved with the TSR Summer Challenge 2019 and push myself out of my comfort zone.

Name:  desktop-600px (002) jpg.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  297.2 KB

Here are the 24 goals I need to complete by Saturday 31st August:

1. Discover a new beach (UK or abroad)
2. Have a movie marathon day
3. Travel somewhere new (local or abroad… wherever)
4. Create something (fashion, art, music, creative writing or anything)
5. Visit a museum
6. Go for a long walk
8. Have a picnic
9. Try a new sport or fitness activity (and keep it up)
10. Go on a camping trip
12. Have a water fight
13. Have a well-being day (e.g. pamper day, doing whatever you enjoy etc.)
14. Try a new recipe
15. Make your ultimate summer playlist
16. Inspire others by suggesting a free/low-cost thing to do where you live in this thread
17. Go on a hike
18. Invent a new smoothie
19. Take part in a random act of kindness
21. Learn a new skill
22. Write a bucket list and see how much you can tick off by the end of summer
23. Volunteer somewhere
24. Do something towards getting your dream job (prep your CV, find apprenticeships/internships to apply to etc.)

I love having a timeline and challenge to work towards!

I can see that there will be some I might struggle with more than others. (Tbh, movie marathon is right up my street, and as a self-confessed book worm I'll be reading a lot by the end of summer).

I'm especially excited to get involved with more of the fitness and exercise related challenges as I'm pushing myself to be more active at the moment and hopefully this will give me a burst of much needed motivation!

If you'd like to get involved with TSRs Summer Challenge, you can find out more information here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6016840

Good luck to all of you entering, let's make 2019 a summer to remember! :bubbles:

Subscribing! Can't wait to read this

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Best of luck :woo:
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
It's pretty good timing on this actually, as I'm going to Jersey on the weekend to visit my family. I've never been before, so I can definitely tick off the first in the challenge "discover a new beach", as I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the sun! :w00t:

I'll take lots of photos and share them here.

Have any of you guys ever been to Jersey? Any recommendations?
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Best of luck :woo:
Thank you! I'll probably spend 95% of this summer wishing for the cold and rain, but it's fun to get involved anyway!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's pretty good timing on this actually, as I'm going to Jersey on the weekend to visit my family. I've never been before, so I can definitely tick off the first in the challenge "discover a new beach", as I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the sun! :w00t:

I've been to Jersey. It's great fun!

If you go to the underground hospital do bring a coat! It's fantastic and very interesting, but if you go down in shorts and a vest you'll be out within half an hour shivering. We wrapped ourselves up despite the blistering heat outside and stayed down there 3 hours.

Queen Elizabeth's castle is a nice one I must say. :yep:

If you're in St. Helier I'd recommend eating at The White Horse. Massive (massive) portions and really tasty food. Eating out on the whole in Jersey is fairly expensive but everywhere we went had really lovely food and everywhere had really big portions too! You won't go hungry.
discobish
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Subbbbbinggggggggg

I mean, you're defs gonna smash this one:

... And I can certainly help you with these ones:

PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
I've been to Jersey. It's great fun!

If you go to the underground hospital do bring a coat! It's fantastic and very interesting, but if you go down in shorts and a vest you'll be out within half an hour shivering. We wrapped ourselves up despite the blistering heat outside and stayed down there 3 hours.

Queen Elizabeth's castle is a nice one I must say. :yep:

If you're in St. Helier I'd recommend eating at The White Horse. Massive (massive) portions and really tasty food. Eating out on the whole in Jersey is fairly expensive but everywhere we went had really lovely food and everywhere had really big portions too! You won't go hungry.
Amazing, this gives me a great list to go on, thanks so much!

I definitely want to go to the underground hospital, it looks fascinating. Is it a bit creepy down there? I'm not very good in really small, enclosed spaces but it doesn't look to be too bad.

I have the castle on my list. I love exploring castles so this will probably be one of the highlights of the trip for me!

Food is what it's all about :love: I'm one of those people who researches menus ages in advance, and the food looks great. You're right though, it's a bit pricey but portion size sounds good!

Thanks again for the recommendations
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by discobish)
Subbbbbinggggggggg

I mean, you're defs gonna smash this one:

... And I can certainly help you with these ones:

I knew I could count on you for help with a party! :cool:

Hahaha yep, I've got the book one downnnn. Might even complete this by the end of the week
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:woo:
:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Amazing, this gives me a great list to go on, thanks so much!

I definitely want to go to the underground hospital, it looks fascinating. Is it a bit creepy down there? I'm not very good in really small, enclosed spaces but it doesn't look to be too bad.

I have the castle on my list. I love exploring castles so this will probably be one of the highlights of the trip for me!

Food is what it's all about :love: I'm one of those people who researches menus ages in advance, and the food looks great. You're right though, it's a bit pricey but portion size sounds good!

Thanks again for the recommendations
Underground hospital wasn't cramped at all, lots of room and there's a lot of stuff down there.

This gives you a good idea of the scale to a person:
https://ak1.picdn.net/shutterstock/v...51/thumb/1.jpg

From what I can remember the tunnels don't get a great deal smaller.

It's a tiny bit creepy but it's layed out like a museum so it's not too bad, it's things like not knowing what's around a corner and stuff.

Jersey is a lovely place on the whole, very clean. Hope you enjoy and let me know if you've got any more questions.
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
Underground hospital wasn't cramped at all, lots of room and there's a lot of stuff down there.

This gives you a good idea of the scale to a person:
https://ak1.picdn.net/shutterstock/v...51/thumb/1.jpg

From what I can remember the tunnels don't get a great deal smaller.

It's a tiny bit creepy but it's layed out like a museum so it's not too bad, it's things like not knowing what's around a corner and stuff.

Jersey is a lovely place on the whole, very clean. Hope you enjoy and let me know if you've got any more questions.
Awesome, that's good to know. I was a little worried about it. Looks bigger than I imagined.

I definitely will! I'm looking forward to it now, going to be hot this weekend too.
KimJayneNoel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I live in jersey, how long are you staying for

PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by KimJayneNoel)
I live in jersey, how long are you staying for
Saturday - Monday! Only a super short trip unfortunately but as I have family there I am going to visit again soon

I bet Jersey is a wonderful place to live, I always hear such great things. Any top tips from a local? What's your favourite beach in Jersey?
KimJayneNoel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah it is, theres lots of really nice beaches in jersey, i like st brelades or st ouens beach they are good

are you coming in the morning in staurday
Saturday - Monday! Only a super short trip unfortunately but as I have family there I am going to visit again soon

I bet Jersey is a wonderful place to live, I always hear such great things. Any top tips from a local? What's your favourite beach in Jersey?
PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by KimJayneNoel)
yeah it is, theres lots of really nice beaches in jersey, i like st brelades or st ouens beach they are good

are you coming in the morning in staurday
Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! I'll see if I can get round to those on my short trip, if not I'll visit them next time!

Yep, my flight is in the morning so I should be there before midday
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:jumphug:
KimJayneNoel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
cool, yeah u should have you got anything planned for the nights your staying, e.g in the evenings if you haven't on saturday you could come and see im in
Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! I'll see if I can get round to those on my short trip, if not I'll visit them next time!

KimJayneNoel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
have you been to jersey before this

PilboBaggins
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
:jumphug:
Right back at you! :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (31)
19.02%
I'm not sure (3)
1.84%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (53)
32.52%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.84%
I'm not a current university student (73)
44.79%

Watched Threads