How to learn lines really quick? Watch

jgarland2002
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've just been given a leading role in my school's musical, we have less than two weeks until show day. What are the best techniques for learning a whole script quickly? I have to give a 1920s American/ Italian accent. HELLLPPP!!!!
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You learn lines by taking lines. Practice makes perfect.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jgarland2002)
I've just been given a leading role in my school's musical, we have less than two weeks until show day. What are the best techniques for learning a whole script quickly? I have to give a 1920s American/ Italian accent. HELLLPPP!!!!
Repetition.

Think about how you've learned all those song lyrics you've learned over your life - by listening to them loads of times and sometimes singing along. Same goes for play scripts. Read the script, acting it out in your head, singing the songs. Then go back to the beginning and do it again. Do it again and again and again.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
You learn lines by taking lines. Practice makes perfect.
But be sure to blow your nose afterwards.
TG1984
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had to learn a one act play in 2 days. For me, I found recording the dialogue twice, once with my lines removed, helped immensely.
Especially saying the character name before each line, my brain remembered when my line was next.
Word association is helpful too - so if there are lines you keep forgetting try and associate what your line is with the previous line and say it out loud.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (534)
59.4%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.24%

Watched Threads