The Student Room Group

IR/Politics PG at Bristol VS Exeter VS SOAS

Hi everyone,

I received my acceptance for a Masters in politics/IR in:

University of Bristol (MSc International Relations)
University of Exeter: (MA IR & Politics of the Middle East)
SOAS: (MA Middle East studies w/ focus on politics)

I am facing a dilemma here with which university to choose. On the one hand, Bristol has its prestige as a university and high reputation amongst employers but perhaps its IR ranking isn't that highly rated. The University of Exeter and SOAS have highly ranked politics departments but I feel an MSc degree might echo louder on my CV than an MA and I am also not sure about their reputation amongst employers.

Does anyone have any advice or some insights on some of these schools? which school/program would you choose?
Reply 1
Thanks for the perspective!

I am trying to get into the field of research, political risk, consulting and possibly further studies in academia.

I am interested in International relations and politics and would certainly like to gain an understanding of the middle east. My interest in politics stems from the events that happen in the Middle East and thats basically my motivation and drive to study.

Bristol has one module on IR of the middle east, that was why I included it on my list, and you're right its definitely a reputable school, which does make it quite appealing. Though Exeter and SOAS have produced some remarkable alumni and scholars in the field. But I still wouldn't want to go there if their chances of employment are much lower.

Original post by SomMC1
SOAS is nicely ranked in the top 30 amongst the areas of politics and political science, but your Master of Arts @ SOAS is not a full on politics, right? It's more of the Middle Eastern studies with some politics. Thats the same when unis offer: BSc Economics and then BSc German with Economics. Totally different, even though both courses have certain elements of economics in them. Both okay courses but with different focuses.

What sort of field are you trying to work in? If it's nothing to do with Middle Eastern politics, then such degrees ain't be that useful.

Bristol is Bristol. They may not be 23rd in Politics rankings but the name is reputable, they produce quality courses, everyone knows it and respects it. Plus, it's your only one that doesnt have the Middle Eastern with politics or IR, but rather just IR...

From an outsider's perspective, I'd take the MSc @ Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by ameenmit
Hi everyone,

I received my acceptance for a Masters in politics/IR in:

University of Bristol (MSc International Relations)
University of Exeter: (MA IR & Politics of the Middle East)
SOAS: (MA Middle East studies w/ focus on politics)

I am facing a dilemma here with which university to choose. On the one hand, Bristol has its prestige as a university and high reputation amongst employers but perhaps its IR ranking isn't that highly rated. The University of Exeter and SOAS have highly ranked politics departments but I feel an MSc degree might echo louder on my CV than an MA and I am also not sure about their reputation amongst employers.

Does anyone have any advice or some insights on some of these schools? which school/program would you choose?

Hi, could I ask what you ended up choosing? I currently have offers from both SOAS and Bristol for IR courses and im having a similar dilemma!
Reply 3
I'm facing a similar dilemma. I had offers from Bristol, Durham for international relations and SOAS for international studies and diplomacy. Foreseeing the current pandemic and online mode of studies I have decided to defer this year. Sadly, Bristol and Durham do not defer courses, whereas SOAS does. Now I'm stuck in a dilemma whether to reapply for the next year or to retain the SOAS.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply