Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm taking it next year and I was wondering if you could tell me a little about what to expect like how hard would each subject be and how much coursework is there in each...

I am taking the following:

English-SL(Taking the higher paper now for GCSE)
    German-Ab intio(spelling I know is wrong)
    Psychology-HL(never done it before)
    Chemistry-HL(love to do, need for medicine)
    Biology-HL(love to do need for medicine)
    maths studies(Want to do SL level maths but don't have a B at GCSE...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarletwings92)
    Well I'm taking it next year and I was wondering if you could tell me a little about what to expect like how hard would each subject be and how much coursework is there in each...

I am taking the following:

English-SL(Taking the higher paper now for GCSE)
    German-Ab intio(spelling I know is wrong)
    Psychology-HL(never done it before)
    Chemistry-HL(love to do, need for medicine)
    Biology-HL(love to do need for medicine)
    maths studies(Want to do SL level maths but don't have a B at GCSE...)
    English A1 SL - I did that, and loved it. I found it quite hard coming from GCSE as I had no teacher for GCSE so it was all a bit :eek: in the beginning, but by the end I thought I'd really cracked it. I suggest you read the books when you are told to, don't just skim them; a couple of times is ideal to get a thorough understanding, and don't underestimate the value of York Notes etc. as they can be very useful for starting points and initial ideas.

German Ab Initio - I didn't take an Ab Initio language (and your spelling was nearly right :rolleyes: ) but my girlfriend did. It was challenging, but quite managable, especially if you work consistently, and became relatively easy when on top of things. I think if you just slack and cram for Ab Initio is what can cause problems.

Psychology HL - I have absolutely no idea. It wasn't offered at my school. All I know is that it can be quite tough to score well in.

Chem and Bio HL - Again, I don't know a great deal. I think they are quite a step up from GCSE, but quite managable if you like sciences. Bio HL syllabus is HUGE, so be prepared for that.

Math Studies - Well, whatever anyone says, if you're not a math person, math is challenging at any level. I helped out a lot of friends in Math Studies, it seemed a bit of a step up from GCSE, but didn't reach AS-Level stuff really. Just work hard at it, as if you're not taking Math SL you'll need an excellent score, as most med schools demand at least Math SL. Is there any way you can do Math SL? Prove to the teachers that you'll work hard, and if it gets too much, agree to drop?

ReputationRep:
    Biology is a LOT, lots to memorize (but relatively easy, and you like it so should be easy). chemistry can be easy only if you understand each concept but if you dont then its going to be very tough.

i did maths sl, wasnt hard, the concepts are very easy to understand and mostly everything is easy about it, except sometimes in the exams they give u tricky questions, but u can prepare for that by practicing past papers.

i also did german ab initio. For me it was a little hard, especially paper 1 (low vocab knowledge), but that could be because we basically wasted one year with that stupid teacher. Learned most of it the last 6 months. So if you got a good teacher, then go for it

ReputationRep:
    good subjects for med IMO shame about the maths but unis dont' really get the diference anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureEconomist)
    English A1 SL - I did that, and loved it. I found it quite hard coming from GCSE as I had no teacher for GCSE so it was all a bit :eek: in the beginning, but by the end I thought I'd really cracked it. I suggest you read the books when you are told to, don't just skim them; a couple of times is ideal to get a thorough understanding, and don't underestimate the value of York Notes etc. as they can be very useful for starting points and initial ideas.

German Ab Initio - I didn't take an Ab Initio language (and your spelling was nearly right :rolleyes: ) but my girlfriend did. It was challenging, but quite managable, especially if you work consistently, and became relatively easy when on top of things. I think if you just slack and cram for Ab Initio is what can cause problems.

Psychology HL - I have absolutely no idea. It wasn't offered at my school. All I know is that it can be quite tough to score well in.

Chem and Bio HL - Again, I don't know a great deal. I think they are quite a step up from GCSE, but quite managable if you like sciences. Bio HL syllabus is HUGE, so be prepared for that.

Math Studies - Well, whatever anyone says, if you're not a math person, math is challenging at any level. I helped out a lot of friends in Math Studies, it seemed a bit of a step up from GCSE, but didn't reach AS-Level stuff really. Just work hard at it, as if you're not taking Math SL you'll need an excellent score, as most med schools demand at least Math SL. Is there any way you can do Math SL? Prove to the teachers that you'll work hard, and if it gets too much, agree to drop?

wow real detailed thanxs^_^ I'll ask about that with the maths thanxs^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_cole2)
    good subjects for med IMO shame about the maths but unis dont' really get the diference anyway
    that's good news then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiNa)
    Biology is a LOT, lots to memorize (but relatively easy, and you like it so should be easy). chemistry can be easy only if you understand each concept but if you dont then its going to be very tough.

i did maths sl, wasnt hard, the concepts are very easy to understand and mostly everything is easy about it, except sometimes in the exams they give u tricky questions, but u can prepare for that by practicing past papers.

i also did german ab initio. For me it was a little hard, especially paper 1 (low vocab knowledge), but that could be because we basically wasted one year with that stupid teacher. Learned most of it the last 6 months. So if you got a good teacher, then go for it
    thanxs for the info^_^ I hope i get a good german teacher lol

ReputationRep:
    hey!

Well I do Eng SL, Maths SL, German SL and Chem HL, Bio HL and Bus Man HL so its a pretty similar choice to what you're keen on doing.

Eng SL builds on nicely from what I did at GCSE level, you just need to dig deeper in to what you did at GCSE and read a lot more books but its a similar concept to GCSEs (mostly! minus Word Lit etc)

Maths SL I find pretty good but it varies from person to person. I would try to do Maths SL if you're keen on medicine since I think that's a prerequisite for most unis...you may want to check that though.

Chem HL is a pretty intense subject but if you grasp the concepts then you'll do well.

Bio HL is like what someone else said, loads of memorizing, the HL concepts arent that much more difficult than SL just more detail = more memorizing.

Pysch and German Ab Initio I dont know that much about. Pysch I've been told is learning different case studies and techniques etc so it sounds a bit like Bus Man which is also just memorizing and then applying.

hope this sorta helps....

ReputationRep:
    thanxs^_^ and good luck in your courses

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.