Change the Entry Requirements for PhD? Watch

Salll93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
UPDATE

I got in contact with the main supervisor/s questioning this and they were equally baffled about it being a conditional offer and has pursued the relevant people to make it an unconditional.
(Original post by threeportdrift)
40 people apply for 1 funded PhD place where the minimum requirement is a 2.1 at undergrad.

20 applicants have a 2.1 at Undergrad
10 applicants have a 2.1 at Undergrad and are predicted pass at MRes
10 applicants have a 2.1 at Undergrad and are predicted a merit at MRes

You interview the strongest 5 students that have a 2.1 at Undergrad and are predicted a Merit at MRes and you select one to award the fully funded PhD.

That student then fails to complete the MRes. You've just awarded your fully funded PhD to someone with lower qualifications and achievements than 19 other applicants and who is at the same level academically as 20 others.

It might well be that the person you awarded to had very many other achievements, but academic ability is a core factor in PhD selection. And how would you feel if you were one of the other 39?

The minimum requirement is a threshold, it has nothing to do with what is competitive.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Salll93)
UPDATE

I got in contact with the main supervisor/s questioning this and they were equally baffled about it being a conditional offer and has pursued the relevant people to make it an unconditional.
i'm guessing that means it's just policy then, the supervisor probably ticked the box on their end. It then went from the departmental admissions office to the whole university admissions office who applied the offer to the portal, and its standard practice to make the offer conditional.

If your department is in charge of the funding you will likely be made unconditional, if it is from whole-university funding pot, then its harder to say.
Salll93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. It is funded by the institute itself not the whole university. I spoke to 5 members of staff in my interview who run the institute and they all agreed to offer me it. So hopefully it is changed to unconditional!
(Original post by mnot)
i'm guessing that means it's just policy then, the supervisor probably ticked the box on their end. It then went from the departmental admissions office to the whole university admissions office who applied the offer to the portal, and its standard practice to make the offer conditional.

If your department is in charge of the funding you will likely be made unconditional, if it is from whole-university funding pot, then its harder to say.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
UPDATE

Yes, because the whole thing makes no sense!
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just because you meet the minimum entry requirement does NOT entitle you to a fully funded PhD place. This is not like applying to an undergrad course with just your A Levels, the vast majority of applicants for the PhD will have exceeded the minimum requirement by a long way.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I totally agree. Plus, most will have subject-related experience (volunteering within department, conference assistant work, etc.)
(Original post by WarwickMaths281)
Just because you meet the minimum entry requirement does NOT entitle you to a fully funded PhD place. This is not like applying to an undergrad course with just your A Levels, the vast majority of applicants for the PhD will have exceeded the minimum requirement by a long way.
Salll93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It’s not the minimum entry requirements - it’s the entry requirement. A masters is desirable. If it was essential it would say it and more people would be doing them AND people couldn’t go straight from undergraduate. People can and do do a PhD just with a bachelors degree. I chose to do a masters so I had a better chance of getting a PhD as I knew more and more people do it so I wouldn’t stand a chance regarding experience. Why should people be penalised for pursing a higher degree? It says it all really that it was just automatic policy and has been changed. Can’t have someone doing a PhD in the same lab with just a bachelors but say to someone hang on can’t offer you one until you have your MRes papers.

To reiterate, there are research technician jobs that just a-levels needed but people with a bachelors and masters would also apply. Does this make it unfair because they’ll have more experience? No. Not going to say to someone who just has a-levels here is an offer but to someone who just finished their degree oh hang on need those papers.
(Original post by 9876543211234)
I totally agree. Plus, most will have subject-related experience (volunteering within department, conference assistant work, etc.)
Last edited by Salll93; 1 week ago
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s not the minimum entry requirements - it’s the entry requirement. A masters is desirable. If it was essential it would say it and more people would be doing them AND people couldn’t go straight from undergraduate. People can and do do a PhD just with a bachelors degree. I chose to do a masters so I had a better chance of getting a PhD as I knew more and more people do it so I wouldn’t stand a chance regarding experience. Why should people be penalised for pursing a higher degree? It says it all really that it was just automatic policy and has been changed. Can’t have someone doing a PhD in the same lab with just a bachelors but say to someone hang on can’t offer you one until you have your MRes papers.

To reiterate, there are research technician jobs that just a-levels needed but people with a bachelors and masters would also apply. Does this make it unfair because they’ll have more experience? No. Not going to say to someone who just has a-levels here is an offer but to someone who just finished their degree oh hang on need those papers.
Your points here have already been answered as to why you would still have to make the offer conditional many times in this thread...

The technician job really isn't a good comparison, the situations are not like for like.
Salll93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yet it’s been changed to unconditional and a friend of mine at a different university in the same position as me got an unconditional, no waiting for papers.
(Original post by mnot)
Your points here have already been answered as to why you would still have to make the offer conditional many times in this thread...

The technician job really isn't a good comparison, the situations are not like for like.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm confused by what you are saying - are you attacking what I said??

Your problem seems to have been one which is fairly typical in academic circles: a master's degree finishes in late summer, and therefore people have started on their PhD before getting their master's result.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby