SKE? I did thiis one. Watch

Nulhypothesis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi All

Just thought I'd put my advice in for what it's worth.

I have just finished my PGCE and start my first teaching job in Sept.

When I got my offer of a PGCE the tutor said I should do a SKE course in science.

She was not fussed which one but "suggested" a 12 weeks one.

I was a bit "meh" so started to look for one.

I contacted lots but got a long reply from Darwin Education.

They suggested 28 weeks!

I was a bit insulted and to be honest horrified.

But the way they worked was 20 weeks leading up to September was straight subject knowledge in science with bursary, then 8 weeks over lap with ITT.

They offer Skype drop in sessions every day, so if you are planning, and you will be, and get a bit stuck there is always someone to talk to.

The also send you real teaching materials like power points and worksheets on topics you are studying. Things you can actually use.

Plus Skype tutorials on a Sunday.

Others with different providers were ticking boxes and just doing what they were told.

Funniest time: I went on Skype one night with tutor and started to tell him what my day was like, he laughed and told me what had happened in his school. It makes a difference they are all teachers.

He told me, I was comparing myself to experienced teachers, but should compare myself to other students. It made me feel so much better.

If you need a SKE try to get a long one with them it really helped.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Most people who do an SKE have it as a condition of their offer- and will usually need to have passed the course before taking up their place. I'm amazed you managed an 8 week overlap- within 8 weeks of starting my course I was already on placement and wouldn't have had time to continue my SKE.

I'm glad this worked out for you, but I would be wary of saying this route would work well for everyone!
Nulhypothesis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi SarcAndPark

Some of the other trainees on my placement said their SKE was not too useful or had lots of waisted time.

With mine they advertised themselves as “life support” for trainees.

You told them what topics you needed and they sent PowerPoints and teaching materials, they also sent books etc.

They was a drop in “Skype” in the evening if you had questions.

It meant you had a tutor/teacher available if you got stuck planning.

When I was out on placement it was handy to have the support when I needed it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed