erin-lucy28
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently studying Psychology with Neuroscience, I've just finished first year with a strong 2:1. I'm aiming to become a forensic psychologist after I graduate, I know that I will have to do a BPS accredited masters followed by 2 years supervised practice.
During my second year, I plan to do plenty of work experience to try and better my chances of getting a graduate job and getting onto the masters. So far, I've got an interview for the alcohol services where I live and I will also be starting work as a support worker in September. I was hoping someone could shed some light onto other areas I could look at.
I've emailed forensic psychologists asking for shadowing opportunities but unfortunately nothing has come up as of yet. I was thinking of volunteering with the Youth Offending Team in my local area when I return to uni in September and I've also found an opportunity in the Witness Protection scheme in my local law courts, however, I'm not sure whether this would be relevant or not. If someone could help me by offering some suggestions or even letting me know if I'm going in the right direction that would be great.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know someone who volunteered with the courts as a support for victims of crime during the whole trial process. I'm not sure which specific courts use those services but it would be a great opportunity as forensic psychology involves the victims of crimes and not just offenders. If you're over 25, there's an organisation called Trailblazers who work with offenders in YOI's who are in the last 3-6 months of their sentences, giving them both emotional and practical support to prepare them for release into the community. Youth Offending Teams are really worthwhile places to volunteer at, you'll learn a lot from them and your applications will look good.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 year ago
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Youth offending team, victims of crime setups and those sort of services are fairly standard but less common spiel to volunteer with even for people wanting to get into clinical rather than forensic. Other addictions a lot of opportunities volunteering there and also domestic abuse.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by erin-lucy28)
I've emailed forensic psychologists asking for shadowing opportunities but unfortunately nothing has come up as of yet. I was thinking of volunteering with the Youth Offending Team in my local area when I return to uni in September and I've also found an opportunity in the Witness Protection scheme in my local law courts, however, I'm not sure whether this would be relevant or not. If someone could help me by offering some suggestions or even letting me know if I'm going in the right direction that would be great.
My previous reply was rushed, I only know about clinical (and opportunities in bits of the the north of England), however it sounds to me at least for what the typical Psychology CV looks at in 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year in 2019 that you are doing all right.

Why would you not get onto a master's? Is it the culture in forensic to require a master's, or are you surrounded by a lot of people going on about it?
erin-lucy28
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinade)
My previous reply was rushed, I only know about clinical (and opportunities in bits of the the north of England), however it sounds to me at least for what the typical Psychology CV looks at in 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year in 2019 that you are doing all right.

Why would you not get onto a master's? Is it the culture in forensic to require a master's, or are you surrounded by a lot of people going on about it?
In order to get onto the masters id need experience, so i want to try and get as much as I can through uni and then I can apply at the end of 3rd year and get onto it straight away rather than have to apply multiple times. I’m also aware forensic masters are quite competitive as you need one in order to qualify
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you're confusing masters and doctorate? You don't need experience to do the masters as it is an academic course. You need post-graduation experience to do the clinical doctorate, you won't be able to apply for it for at least a year (if not two, and most people will have significantly more) after graduation
(Original post by erin-lucy28)
In order to get onto the masters id need experience, so i want to try and get as much as I can through uni and then I can apply at the end of 3rd year and get onto it straight away rather than have to apply multiple times. I’m also aware forensic masters are quite competitive as you need one in order to qualify
erin-lucy28
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
I think you're confusing masters and doctorate? You don't need experience to do the masters as it is an academic course. You need post-graduation experience to do the clinical doctorate, you won't be able to apply for it for at least a year (if not two, and most people will have significantly more) after graduation
I've looked at a few masters courses and they've all said they'd like to see some form of work experience. Even if that wasn't the case, I would still want to do the experience as I feel it would be beneficial for personal growth and learning more about the field. Hence why I was questioning if the things I've been looking at would be appropriate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.86%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (20)
9.95%
No - I live at home during term anyway (53)
26.37%

Watched Threads