I'm an Oxford College Admissions Tutor - ask me anything! Watch

LMH OXFORD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! I'm Anne, and I'm the Senior Tutor and Tutor for Admissions at the fabulous LMH college at Oxford University! I've enjoyed answering your questions this week. I'm now signing off (6 PM Friday 5 July) but you can contact me and/or our fabulous Outreach Manager, Marrium, via the LMH website. GOOD LUCK!!!:banana2::banana::badger:
Last edited by LMH OXFORD; 2 months ago
embey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, really cool to see this thread. Thank you

My question is about contextual data and your flagging system in particular. I went to a really not very good school from Y7-11, and then switched to a brilliant selective state for sixth form. Which school will you see me in context of when you're looking at my application?
LMH OXFORD
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi - good question. Our contextual data and flagging system looks at schools' relative performance pre-16 and post-16 so both experiences are covered, as well as % eligible for free school meals: check out the website. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1 GOOD LUCK!!
(Original post by embey)
Hi, really cool to see this thread. Thank you

My question is about contextual data and your flagging system in particular. I went to a really not very good school from Y7-11, and then switched to a brilliant selective state for sixth form. Which school will you see me in context of when you're looking at my application?
Askadia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
why dont Oxford ( or Cambridge for that matter) do dentistry?
username4538836
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How important are GCSEs when applying? How do you view the new numerical grades (e.g. how much "better" is a 9 in comparison to an 8)?

Thank you for running this thread
PalmOcean
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does Oxford accept the foundation years from Manchester and Bristol specifically for physics? If so, how realistic would it be to gain entry with the foundation year?

Also, does LMH only accept A-Levels for the foundation year there?

Thanks!
app_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
I was just wondering what the best things you can do to produce a competitive application for medicine
iBearHQ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How big of an influence do extra curricular activities on your personal statement? That is the only thing I'm worried about with applying for uni as I haven't done a lot other than rugby and having a part time job related to my degree (computer science)
username3460126
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by theworld223)
How important are GCSEs when applying? How do you view the new numerical grades (e.g. how much "better" is a 9 in comparison to an 8)?

Thank you for running this thread
read on the Cambridge website that they don't differentiate between an 8 and a 9.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements
(if you tap the GCSE's section it explains everything)
hope this helps! x
rohit301099
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I wanted to apply to oxford but due to unforeseen circumstances had to resit my exams but I ended up with A*A*A*. I wanted to ask if I would be considered for a place given my resit and if so should I bother applying? If I would not be considered do you think I have shot through the foundation year and if so what's the cut off age for the foundation year? sorry, for all the questions
Last edited by rohit301099; 2 months ago
username4618318
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Has anyone ever been accepted with grades lower than the entry requirements? If so, by how much?

Edit: not referring to contextual offers.
Last edited by username4618318; 2 months ago
Future Physics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not 100% sure but dentistry isn't a traditional degree like English Literature or Physics and so its more of a modern health care career that less traditional universities do. Though the weird thing is that not many places in London have dentistry courses and ICL and Royal Holloway don't have courses for under or postgraduate though UCL has postgraduate courses which I do find to be odd considering its London.
(Original post by Askadia)
Haider.alix
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Same reason that Sainsbury’s doesn’t sell sofas, just not something they’re historically known for, and don’t have much experience doing
(Original post by Askadia)
Gwil
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How do you view home-schoolers/self-taught applicants?
Martim Pereira
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is it mandatory to stay in a college for our undergraduate first year?
username4811106
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LMH OXFORD)
Hi! I'm Anne, and I'm the Senior Tutor and Tutor for Admissions at the fabulous LMH college at Oxford University! We know not all of you can attend our Open Days on 3rd and 4th July (though if you can, do book in! https://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective...ools/open-days). But I'll be online all next week to answer any questions so keep em' coming!
Hi, thanks for doing this!

How do you view contextual data when it comes to international and EU applicants (exept for the UK obviously)?
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by app_)
Hi,
I was just wondering what the best things you can do to produce a competitive application for medicine
Along with Anne's advice, you should also take a look at the Demystifying Oxford thread - there's a separate one specifically on applying to medicine (it's on this forum) written by the mum of someone who got into Oxford to read medicine Oxford Mum
DoNotMove
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If I don't get in after applying for the first time, if I apply for the next year will I have any advantage or disadvantage?
dannyasokan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LMH OXFORD)
Hi! I'm Anne, and I'm the Senior Tutor and Tutor for Admissions at the fabulous LMH college at Oxford University! We know not all of you can attend our Open Days on 3rd and 4th July (though if you can, do book in! https://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective...ools/open-days). But I'll be online all next week to answer any questions so keep em' coming!
Hi there Anne, thank you so much for doing this I'd like to ask, is relevant working experience such as internships a part of supercurriculars?
Also, which of these is more important, extracurriculars or supercurriculars? Thank you in advance
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi app,

I am not an Oxford tutor, but I have written a book (on TSR) about applying to Oxford.

My son has just finished his second year of medicine at Oriel. This chapter depicts his journey to Oxford from a mother's point of view.

He is also writing his own chapter about why he applied for medicine, how he approached the BMAT, the interview (though NOT the questions) and his opinions of his course so far. I have tried to add as many links to articles, the Cherwell and pages from Oxford University's website as possible. Hope this helps a little.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...%20Demystified
(Original post by app_)
Hi,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (18)
7.73%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (130)
55.79%
No (85)
36.48%

Watched Threads