Vauxhall Astra: Ellesmere Port manufacture 'depends on Brexit' Watch

Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Following on from my threads on Ford in Bridgend, Jaguar Land Rover and Honda.

The next generation of the Vauxhall Astra will be built at its Ellesmere Port car plant if a satisfactory Brexit deal is reached, its owners have said.

It said the decision would be conditional on the New Vehicle Agreement, negotiated with Unite. The New Vehicle Agreement is an agreement between management and unions covering working practices along with terms and conditions which are struck prior to the production of new models.

Under the plan, Ellesmere Port would be one of two factories which will begin building the new Astra in 2021.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-48790657

I feel a no deal Brexit will truly lead to the destruction of automotive in the UK or at the very least wound automotive in the UK severely. Could Nissan and Toyota follow under a no deal Brexit?

It is true other factors are impacting the automotive industry at the moment however Brexit doesn't help and in this case PSA Group are explicitly pinning the blame on a no deal Brexit.

On the bright side I am happy recruiters on my Linkedin have offered their support to those affected by the recent decisions in automotive.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Themysticalegg)
Following on from my threads on Ford in Bridgend, Jaguar Land Rover and Honda.

The next generation of the Vauxhall Astra will be built at its Ellesmere Port car plant if a satisfactory Brexit deal is reached, its owners have said.

It said the decision would be conditional on the New Vehicle Agreement, negotiated with Unite. The New Vehicle Agreement is an agreement between management and unions covering working practices along with terms and conditions which are struck prior to the production of new models.

Under the plan, Ellesmere Port would be one of two factories which will begin building the new Astra in 2021.

Source:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-48790657

I feel a no deal Brexit will truly lead to the destruction of automotive in the UK or at the very least wound automotive in the UK severely. Could Nissan and Toyota follow under a no deal Brexit?

It is true other factors are impacting the automotive industry at the moment however Brexit doesn't help and in this case PSA Group are explicitly pinning the blame on a no deal Brexit.

On the bright side I am happy recruiters on my Linkedin have offered their support to those affected by the recent decisions in automotive.
Cant see anything else but no deal brexit.
Wonder how many of the Ellesmere port workers voted leave?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately the Tory party look like they wish to vote in the most destructive of the two candidates and the one with no morals, and one who made enemies in Brussels. It would not only be Vauxhall jobs more likely to be lost under a no-deal Brexit.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So thats a no then?

I must say though you can actually taste the irony in that most of these workers have literally voted themselves out of jobs. How very weird.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Unfortunately the Tory party look like they wish to vote in the most destructive of the two candidates and the one with no morals, and one who made enemies in Brussels. It would not only be Vauxhall jobs more likely to be lost under a no-deal Brexit.
Operation doom and gloom might have been a cack handed way of running a referendum side but it seems to be coming true in all it serr 'horror' now..
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The problem is that the Leave campaign were successful in convincing people to dismiss all of the credible and reliable evidence about what could happen, up to the point that even now any mere suggestion that 'no deal' might actually be harmful to the economy is still being flippantly dismissed as "fearmongering", even though all of the warning signs are just getting louder all the time, and are beginning to turn into reality. .

The same lies have been repeated so many times that people are now dismissing facts because they contradict the lies.
Last edited by winterscoming; 3 weeks ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have a couple of mates working there that are terrified for their jobs. Stinks.
Poooky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What have our wonderful PM hopefuls said about this?
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Idk I listened to part of the hustings and Jeremy Hunt is still banging on about how he's an entrepreneur and good at negotiating. Boris is still going for a 31st October departure, although he did say leaving without a deal had a million to one chance. Topics of conversation included HS2.....
(Original post by Poooky)
It really stinks.
(Original post by gjd800)
I have a couple of mates working there that are terrified for their jobs. Stinks.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 3 weeks ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Poooky)
Is it really for us lowly peasants to question the mighty though? With that being said i'd be impressed if either could find this place on a map.
ProLifeProHuman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Corporate tyranny and nearly entirely Left wing

Remain in EU, or else

Vote for this person, or else..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (142)
61.47%
No (89)
38.53%

Watched Threads