how to stop getting constant strain/study headaches

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey guys,

i’ve just finished my first year of university where i haven’t done much work. consequently, i have been out of whack of studying for a year, but i am accustomed to revising heavily in the past (i had 45-50 hour weeks of revision during my a levels). i have to revise quite a bit for 5 exams i’m retaking

i’ve been at home for a week and every single day i just have a constant headache which worsens especially when i study. the headache i think was initially started by a really bad hangover but i haven’t drank for 6 days and now i think it’s just the strain from studying, though when i’m not studying my mind still feels strained, especially because i’m worried about my resits.

any advice to make the headaches go away? thanks
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
First, have you been hydrating properly? It's easy to lose track of how long you have been working and not drink much if you haven't been active.

Second, watch your posture. Make sure you are seated correctly at a desk (think of those health and safety diagrams for IT use) and don't get too close to text. Don't be tempted to slump on a sofa to have a break. It could be nerves or muscles.

Third, it could be something like subconciously clenching your jaw through stress.

Finally, it could be eyestrain. When was your last test and do you have an up-to-date prescription? Is there suitable lighting around your work area? Are you giving yourself regular short breaks, getting up and walking round, and do you give your eyes a break by going out for a walk, rather than more reading or tv or screen time to chill out?

Try these, but don't leave yourself suffering for too long. Go to your optician or GP if the headaches persist.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I second getting your eyes tested - I was getting really bad headaches for months that were worse towards the end of the day and it turned out that there was a huge change needed to my glasses prescription. Got new glasses and haven't had a single headache since.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (60)
66.67%
No (23)
25.56%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise