England is into the world cup semi-finals and no one cares Watch

shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YasudaSayo)
Yes, facts are facts and that is fine. What upsets me is the disregard for women's football. I don't know a single person who has been watching it. This is more due to the fact that men's football is promoted more than women's than a difference in quality/performance. And that is brutally unfair.
That I can agree with.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I haven't seen any of their games....
pRex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't really watch football - not my sport - but I wish women's football (and women's sport in general) was advertised more. I've heard and seen bits and pieces from the Women's World Cup... they're amazingly talented and the women's team generally do a lot better than the men's team too! To anybody who says that it's not the same standard as the men's football...well, I look forward to seeing you getting to the semi finals of a World Cup if it's that easy.
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry but if I wanted to watch sub-par football I have a lot to choose from. Good for the women if they are doing well but I don't really care that much to watch them play football when at the end of the day they would probably get destroyed by the male U18s.
pRex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Fair play, but say if female athletes and male athletes, both of Olympic status, competed in a 100m race, you'd most likely expect the men to win on average...that's just how it works. However, it doesn't take away from the sheer talent of the female athletes, does it? At least not in my opinion... if you understand what I'm saying. It's not necessarily sub-par.
(Original post by jamesbarry17)
Sorry but if I wanted to watch sub-par football I have a lot to choose from. Good for the women if they are doing well but I don't really care that much to watch them play football when at the end of the day they would probably get destroyed by the male U18s.
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Makes me really sad. Just because it's women's football no one cares. This time last year when the men's team got into the semi-finals everyone went mental but because it's women this time round, no one cares. I don't care if you say it's because it's less entertaining or whatever because they don't play as well as the men's team. Personally I don't think that's true. Today we scored a goal in under 3 minutes and no one cares, most people won't even be aware of it. It's just so sad to me.
Truth is it just doesn't hold the majesty that the men's world cup always has, it's been around for longer, the sport is more male based by nature, so it's natural for this to happen.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't agree that the fact that womens football is inevitably less physical makes it an inferior sport than the mens game. Yes, mens football is much more physical and I think the goalkeepers are generally better. However, I find the technical standard in womens football is often much higher and the standard of passing/crossing is better than the mens game. I saw the Scotland womens team string together fantastic passing phrases time and time again in the final third which I very rarely see in the mens team but I also have seen some exceptionally poor defending at the womens world cup which is less common in the mens game.

I enjoy both mens and womens football and respect both for their inevitable differences.

What we do need to talk about is VAR... :bawling:
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
That I can agree with.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ask yourself why, when they play just as well as the men, if not better (which is what I saw today)
If this were really the case then there wouldn't be separate world cups, there would be one mixed-gender one. If the women's world cup gets more well-known then great, but part of the excitement of the 2018 world cup is that it was watched by the majority of humans on Earth.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
Truth is it just doesn't hold the majesty that the men's world cup always has, it's been around for longer, the sport is more male based by nature, so it's natural for this to happen.
Explain please.

What makes football NATURALLY a male activity?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 123543)
I don't agree that the fact that womens football is inevitably less physical makes it an inferior sport than the mens game. Yes, mens football is much more physical and I think the goalkeepers are generally better. However, I find the technical standard in womens football is often much higher and the standard of passing/crossing is better than the mens game. I saw the Scotland womens team string together fantastic passing phrases time and time again in the final third which I very rarely see in the mens team but I also have seen some exceptionally poor defending at the womens world cup which is less common in the mens game.

I enjoy both mens and womens football and respect both for their inevitable differences.

What we do need to talk about is VAR... :bawling:
The women are technically nowhere near the men. The men are performing technically more complex and more accurate skills at a greater speed and against players who are good enough to stop them.

It’s great that the women’s game is enjoying a decent bit of promotion considering what the FA did to the women’s game after the world war but nonsense comments about the women’s game being in anyway on par or better to the men’s game is a ridiculous comment.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Explain please.

Probably in the sense that men are better at basically every sport, so it’s more enjoy me to watch.
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
Explain please.

Never said that don't get all SJW on me, won't work.

I said the sport is more male based, meaning the proportion of the sport is filled with more males than females, what I did not say was that it was a naturally male activity.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
dont pay much attention to women's football in general unfortunately, has piqued my interest to maybe watch the final?
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by pRex)
Fair play, but say if female athletes and male athletes, both of Olympic status, competed in a 100m race, you'd most likely expect the men to win on average...that's just how it works. However, it doesn't take away from the sheer talent of the female athletes, does it? At least not in my opinion... if you understand what I'm saying. It's not necessarily sub-par.
No, not at all; but then go around and ask people who won the 2016 Olympics 100m races, and not very many will be able to tell you who the woman was (I wouldn't, for one.) A woman may be supremely talented, but she will just not be able to impress people in the same way as Messi or Bolt. I reckon the main attraction of women's sports is the identification that other women and girls have with them, not their talents alone.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well yeah, fewer people care, because it's not the best in the world going against each other. Personally I've enjoyed watching a few of these games but I can definitely understand people shrugging their shoulders and saying that it's just not as interesting as the men's game.
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, facts are facts and that is fine. What upsets me is the disregard for women's football. I don't know a single person who has been watching it. This is more due to the fact that men's football is promoted more than women's than a difference in quality/performance. And that is brutally unfair.
Why are you so personally aggrieved by this? The reality is women's football is rather niche, with many preferring the higher level of skill and physicality of the men's game. It is growing year on year and the BBC have given it more coverage than ever this World Cup, so you needn't feel so hard done by. As the sport grows, so too will the coaching and then the skill level. If you currently enjoy women's football, that's great, but feeling hurt and upset that others do not is very strange to me.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree, in terms of "skills" (Cruyff turns, stepovers etc.) generally the mens game is better. However, I'd debate that the passing of the womens game is better, certainly this World Cup.

I think that the womens game is very different from the mens game but that doesn't mean it is "worse."

Original post by Mess.)
The women are technically nowhere near the men. The men are performing technically more complex and more accurate skills at a greater speed and against players who are good enough to stop them.

It’s great that the women’s game is enjoying a decent bit of promotion considering what the FA did to the women’s game after the world war but nonsense comments about the women’s game being in anyway on par or better to the men’s game is a ridiculous comment.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 123543)
I agree, in terms of "skills" (Cruyff turns, stepovers etc.) generally the mens game is better. However, I'd debate that the passing of the womens game is better, certainly this World Cup.

I think that the womens game is very different from the mens game but that doesn't mean it is "worse."

Original post by Mess.)
The passing level is nowhere near the men’s game. When watching, the passes are very light as the players don’t have the control for a quick ball.

Watching the women’s game you can see where passes would easily be cut out in the men’s game and the women would never have the time that they are afforded.

As another poster has said, the women’s game at the minute is not played by the best female athletes in the country in the same way that the best sports people in England generally choose to play football I.e. Phil Neville was touted as one of the best cricket players, easily a better player than Flintoff by his own account but chose to play football.

It’s like in the USA for the men’s game, the best athletes play American football and basketball, so their men’s team won’t be able to match the better men’s teams across the world.

If we are all being honest, watching the women’s game you can tell it’s a standard worse than top level under 18’s football in the men’s game but it will only improve.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have no interest in it personally, but to say "nobody cares" is far from the truth when 7 million people in the UK watched the most recent game. Figures for live sport are always going to be inaccurate as well since a lot of people won't be watching on their own, so it was probably even more.

This is the first time i've seen the women's game getting any kind of MSM attention. However you may feel about any particular sport, it isn't going to grow unless it is accessible and you get people talking about it. Both of these have clearly been achieved.
Hybr1d
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I just all round don't like football 😅 not interested in the women's or the men's football so meh
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (149)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.22%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.3%

Watched Threads