England is into the world cup semi-finals and no one cares Watch

Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But they can't get semis, so I am not interested.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sr90)
I have no interest in it personally, but to say "nobody cares" is far from the truth when 7 million people in the UK watched the most recent game. Figures for live sport are always going to be inaccurate as well since a lot of people won't be watching on their own, so it was probably even more.

This is the first time i've seen the women's game getting any kind of MSM attention. However you may feel about any particular sport, it isn't going to grow unless it is accessible and you get people talking about it. Both of these have clearly been achieved.
Why do you assume that because TV figures are inaccurate it was probably more rather than probably fewer? Pure speculation on your part. Error goes plus as well as negative.
lionheart27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's because women's football sucks.

The women's australian national team were beaten like 7-0 by a bunch of 15 year old kids.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Why do you assume that because TV figures are inaccurate it was probably more rather than probably fewer? Pure speculation on your part. Error goes plus as well as negative.
Are you a bit dim in trying to push an agenda that doesn’t exist? The poster literally said that the figures were likely to be higher.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t even watch the men’s football let alone the women’s version; credit to our ladies, I don’t think I could do what they do, but football is rubbish and overpaid sport. I lost faith in England team after they lost to a part time dentist team (Iceland)
scorpion95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People do care but just not in the numbers that the mens game gets. I learnt something that the womens football has been around since the 70s when there was an unofficial womens world cup from watching the match the other day. I never knew there was womens football till a couple of years ago which is when I thought that it came about because they showed a couple of matches on the TV.

Womens football isn't advertised/promoted as much as the mens football is however the womens football following has increased over the past couple of years and is still growing. I think that the matches have been quite good in this world cup, a couple have been poor and the behaviour of one or two teams has been a disgrace (Cameroon).
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Are you a bit dim in trying to push an agenda that doesn’t exist? The poster literally said that the figures were likely to be higher.
Calling people dim but misread a simple post. OK.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by YasudaSayo)
Makes me really sad. Just because it's women's football no one cares. This time last year when the men's team got into the semi-finals everyone went mental but because it's women this time round, no one cares. I don't care if you say it's because it's less entertaining or whatever because they don't play as well as the men's team. Personally I don't think that's true. Today we scored a goal in under 3 minutes and no one cares, most people won't even be aware of it. It's just so sad to me.
Dont let them wind you up.

Obviously not as big a thing as the mens team, but people are watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48798721
yoyollama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think especially if you're a girl/young woman that's into football, I understand it must be really frustrating.

It's just how society is unfortunately.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've been watching it, but have to confess it is pretty poor from a technical point of view. They cannot pass well and seems Sam Allardyce is hiding amongst the backroom staff. They would probably get a hiding from a Sunday pub football team.
Malevolent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biggest joke so far is saying the passing is better than the males :rofl:
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Didn't say that - I said its more consistent and the quality passes strung together by the Scotland womens team happened more regularly than the mens team.

Yes, Barcelona mens c. 2010 passing will beat any womens team but I'm talking about a team like Scotland.
(Original post by Malevolent)
Biggest joke so far is saying the passing is better than the males :rofl:
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 123543)
Didn't say that - I said its more consistent and the quality passes strung together by the Scotland womens team happened more regularly than the mens team.

Yes, Barcelona mens c. 2010 passing will beat any womens team but I'm talking about a team like Scotland.
:rofl: even what people count as an ‘ale house’ team in men’s football are far more accomplished than any women’s team at passing the ball.

It’s fine for the women’s game to not be as good as the men’s technically and physically due to what the governing bodies have done over the past 70 years, pretending they are any better than they are makes the game look an embarrassment.
joe goldberg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
England cricket team is one of the best yet no one cares
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by joe goldberg)
England cricket team is one of the best yet no one cares
Yeah the sport of thugs is the only sport society really cares about. Oh well, at least for real fans the occasion isn't as easily ruined as it is for men's football.
joe goldberg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s sad that England cricket players don’t get as much attention in home than in subcontinent
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by joe goldberg)
It’s sad that England cricket players don’t get as much attention in home than in subcontinent
Historically it is an elitist sport in the UK, with very little, if any accessibility to working class people. The cost of participating and ensuring an appropriate playing field renders it further inaccessible.

If the sport was available to all on the scale of football then it would be able to increase people actually giving a ****.

The fact that there are only about 6 worthwhile teams in the world as well means that there isn’t as much to care about.

Regarding the hooligan type nonsense, a good number of young, rich, sports people are ******s, it’s just that nobody gives enough of a **** about cricket or rugby to report it.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All football is boring, no matter who's playing it :yawn:

(no 'fence)
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mess.)

Regarding the hooligan type nonsense, a good number of young, rich, sports people are ******s, it’s just that nobody gives enough of a **** about cricket or rugby to report it.
Not to mention most of the gangsters that get killed these days are 'aspiring young footballers'. Doesn't help that hooliganism rep.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Not to mention most of the gangsters that get killed these days are 'aspiring young footballers'. Doesn't help that hooliganism rep.
Because how many working class people are going to aspire to be rugby, cricketers or dressage people :lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (149)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.22%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.3%

Watched Threads