[Poll] Edexcel Further Maths Overall Grade Boundaries 2019 A-level Watch

Poll: What do you think your overall raw mark out of 300 is (Edexcel FM)?
281-300 (8)
5.88%
261-280 (19)
13.97%
241-260 (20)
14.71%
221-240 (30)
22.06%
201-220 (27)
19.85%
181-200 (16)
11.76%
161-180 (6)
4.41%
141-160 (3)
2.21%
121-140 (3)
2.21%
101-120 (1)
0.74%
81-100 (1)
0.74%
61-80 (0)
0%
(2)
1.47%
andrewdr14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wish more people would vote for a larger sample tbh. Reckon ive got about 83% all together, really hope that ive got an A*
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by andrewdr14)
Wish more people would vote for a larger sample tbh. Reckon ive got about 83% all together, really hope that ive got an A*
That should be an A* or I'm royally f****d
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Statistician384
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just bumping this to increase sample size.
Statistician384
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you reckon this thread would get more attention in the maths exams forum?
(Original post by andrewdr14)
Okay123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can’t lie, I don’t think it’s going to gain traction, this thread is too late to have any impact, only the people who actively use TSR are left, the majority of the exam cohort have gone, and myself included, I’m not voting cause I’m just pretending these exams don’t exist until like August 6th. And I’m guessing a lot of other people are probably thinking like that. Stop stressing about further maths and grade boundaries and enjoy summer my dude, I’m confident you’ve done well since you care so much. The exams are over and there is nothing you can do. Seriously just chill and enjoy the weather
(Original post by Statistician384)
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
can move it if people see fit
moneymanJPM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Using linear interpolation this poll would show the A* boundary to be around 236, but this poll is going to be ridiculously skewed due to reasons previously stated in this thread, i would expect the boundaries to be similar to the 2018 a-level maths boundaries or possibly slightly lower.
Statistician384
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by moneymanJPM)
Using linear interpolation this poll would show the A* boundary to be around 236, but this poll is going to be ridiculously skewed due to reasons previously stated in this thread, i would expect the boundaries to be similar to the 2018 a-level maths boundaries or possibly slightly lower.
That's somewhat reassuring.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by moneymanJPM)
FM boundaries are usually a few percent higher than single maths, so perhaps 10 marks higher than 2018 single if you're going down that route. Still reassuringly low though by that method
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 2 weeks ago
Fjfjdjdj27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I reckon I got about 225-235 overall and I only revised Applied two days before the exam, so even tho I really want an a* I’m not sure I will get it.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fjfjdjdj27)
I reckon I got about 225-235 overall and I only revised Applied two days before the exam, so even tho I really want an a* I’m not sure I will get it.
Same, although I'm only after an A for my offer (I was predicted an A*, though I made quite a few really embarrassing mistakes so I'm cool not getting my predicted).
The fact that you consider getting an A* with that score reassures me that I should at least get an A with it, so thank youu
moneymanJPM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
On the new spec FM boundaries have been lower. Reckon the A* boundary will be 229(+/-5). Tsr is always skewed, Tsr in 5the summer is ridiculously skewed, if you look through the #edexcelfurthermaths on twitter, you get a more realistic picture of how the average student found the exam and considering the average FM student gets an A, i reckon we'll see pretty low boundaries.
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)FM boundaries are usually a few percent higher than single maths, so perhaps 10 marks higher than 2018 single if you're going down that route. Still reassuringly low though by that method
Fjfjdjdj27
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What keeps me going is the boundaries for the easy as further maths 2018, I found them all to be very easy, and the boundaries for those were like 100-102/160 for an A so i feel I’m gonna be just a few marks of an A* tbh
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
Same, although I'm only after an A for my offer (I was predicted an A*, though I made quite a few really embarrassing mistakes so I'm cool not getting my predicted).
The fact that you consider getting an A* with that score reassures me that I should at least get an A with it, so thank youu
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fjfjdjdj27)
What keeps me going is the boundaries for the easy as further maths 2018, I found them all to be very easy, and the boundaries for those were like 100-102/160 for an A so i feel I’m gonna be just a few marks of an A* tbh
Equivalently, what keeps me sh*****g myself is the old spec A level further was 83.7% for an A (so equivalent of 251/300 on these exams for an A!).
Though granted, that's old spec and we can safely expect a significant drop due to harder content and linear structure
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it'll definitely be lower, probably similar to last year's A2 Maths boundary. Loads of schools, with history of several A* at FM, seemed to have students on about 200-230 so I'd think this is representative of the A*. I would be extremely surprised if it's (relatively) high. Loads of questions seemed to trip people up, e.g. on FP1, and silly mistakes got people e.g. CP1-2 and FM1. I've heard similar things for FS1. I think the A* will be 220s-230s but that's just an educated guess.
Fjfjdjdj27
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yh completely agree, might go up to 235-240 and that’s what worries me since I am capped at about 234
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
I think it'll definitely be lower, probably similar to last year's A2 Maths boundary. Loads of schools, with history of several A* at FM, seemed to have students on about 200-230 so I'd think this is representative of the A*. I would be extremely surprised if it's (relatively) high. Loads of questions seemed to trip people up, e.g. on FP1, and silly mistakes got people e.g. CP1-2 and FM1. I've heard similar things for FS1. I think the A* will be 220s-230s but that's just an educated guess.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
While discussing mistakes I might as well outline mine.

CP1- coupled differential equations. For the last two parts, I simply didn't notice the initial conditions in the question. Got the first bits easily enough, but goodbye 8 marks (couldn't even attempt for working marks as it was impossible to begin). An OK result, probably like 62/75 assuming some other minor mistakes.

CP2- first question, totally f****d up, won't go any further. 9 out of 10 marks lost. Roots of unity question LOL another 9 marks lost. A trainwreck with many other confirmed mistakes, probably only like 45/75.

FM1- range of values of e, made an algebra mistake? Probably only 1 or 2 marks lost as defo right method. 9 mark impulse question, used a dot product method that is valid but led to a world of painful algebra that I couldn't get through, probably lost like 7 marks on that. Final 6 mark, maximum speed, I used an SHM method that didn't work, probably all six lost as dodgy method. A nice paper that I did really bad on, 59/75.

D1- my saving grace, I made some kind of error on the last question but only a few lost due to that. Missed out a few other question parts but only maybe like 8 marks worth in the full paper. 62/75 again assuming some minor mistakes I haven't caught.

228 in total, /- 5 depending on mistakes I didn't catch, or perhaps more generous method marks.
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 2 weeks ago
Statistician384
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Looking at the specimen mark schemes I think I *might* have 61+60+64+57=242 (FP1 and FS1). I really hope this is an A*. I'm also disappointed because FS1 is my all time favourite module of any specification.
andrewdr14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It could help, no harm in trying really
(Original post by _gcx)
can move it if people see fit
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Looking at the specimen mark schemes I think I *might* have 61+60+64+57=242 (FP1 and FS1). I really hope this is an A*. I'm also disappointed because FS1 is my all time favourite module of any specification.
I'm hoping that's an A*, as it'd then guarantee mine being an A so yay
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads