The Student Room Group

Should Argentina own the Falkland Islands?

Hmm..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRareSamuel
Hmm..

Why not stop being so lazy and you tell us what your view is and explain.

Just putting hmmm makes you look so dim.
This thread is supposed to be a joke - but of course the English should own it!
Original post by 999tigger

You haven't put your opinion either - and why do you have over 50000 posts in three years?
Original post by 999tigger

Reply 5
This thread is supposed to be a joke

When you have to point out that something was a joke, it usually means it was a **** joke.
You haven't put your opinion either - and why do you have over 50000 posts in three years?

I am not the one starting the thread. I really hope your essays are up to such a standard.
You can ask the TSR mods about that or look through my previous posts.
Reply 7
No it is just that 999tigger has no sense of humour

If you put the thread in the debate section, it's not unreasonable to assume you want a debate.

If you want to ****post, you put it in the ****post(chat).
Sorry that you seem extremely offended by this :-D
You want a debate - here...
Great Britain should own the Falklands because if Argentina were to own it, their control would be so bad that another country would come along and take it instead.
Great Britain won the Falklands War, this is how war works, we win - so we own it because that was what the war was about.
Let's face it, if Argentina wanted to take back control of the Falklands, then they would have declared war again already.
If you disagree then the debate begins.
Reply 9
Hmm..

There is no question, British territorial possessions must be maintained.

To suggest otherwise is tantamount to treason.
No and if you say it again I'm gonna get cross.
if Argentina were to own it, their control would be so bad that another country would come along and take it instead.

Why? It is a desolate infertile group of islands with no strategic interest any more. Argentina only want them back for thecsame reasons as you would want your unfertile fallow field back if a load of travellers set up camp on it. E.g. For a point of principal.

Britains only real claim to sovereignty is the fact that people who claim to be British live there. And that is a pretty weak argument by modern standards.
Sorry that you seem extremely offended by this :-D
You want a debate - here...
Great Britain should own the Falklands because if Argentina were to own it, their control would be so bad that another country would come along and take it instead.
Great Britain won the Falklands War, this is how war works, we win - so we own it because that was what the war was about.
Let's face it, if Argentina wanted to take back control of the Falklands, then they would have declared war again already.
If you disagree then the debate begins.

Original post by ByEeek
Why? It is a desolate infertile group of islands with no strategic interest any more. Argentina only want them back for thecsame reasons as you would want your unfertile fallow field back if a load of travellers set up camp on it. E.g. For a point of principal.

Britains only real claim to sovereignty is the fact that people who claim to be British live there. And that is a pretty weak argument by modern standards.

Can you please provide us with the information of Argentina's claims to"las malvinas" and what makes their claim greater than ours and indeed the inhabitants of the Falklands.
Original post by Andrew97
absolutely,not.

:ditto:
Original post by ColinDent
Can you please provide us with the information of Argentina's claims to"las malvinas" and what makes their claim greater than ours and indeed the inhabitants of the Falklands.

The claim is political. My view is also political. Our claim is as weak as any.
I believe that Britain should own the Falklands and so I don't think that Argentina has any rights to own it.
Original post by ColinDent
My argument is not based upon people living there being British. Instead it is about the Falklands War and how war is a way to settle a dispute. It is the same with anything (fighting to be king or to own certain things like land). I guess I am a pacifist to a certain extent because I think that war should be avoided at all costs. But the victory in a war should make it clear the true ownership of something, in this case the Falklands.
Original post by ByEeek

Of course Argentina are the rightful owners of Las Malvinas.

But unfortunately for Argentina, that's not how the world works.
Original post by Palmyra
Of course Argentina are the rightful owners of Las Malvinas.

But unfortunately for Argentina, that's not how the world works.

Are they though? I believe that Argentina was not even an independent country when Britain permanently claimed the Falklands in the 1830's?
Reply 19
Original post by ByEeek

They do, however, potentially have value re future rights of exploration (and minerals from same) on Antarctica.

However surely the key question in the 21st century is self determination-those who live on the islands ought to be able to decide their nationality. Of course this is a two edged sword, if say post Brexit those living in Gibraltar decide they want to be part of Spain then Gibraltar changes its status whether the UK wishes it to or otherwise. Holding areas of land by mere conquest or inheritance, against the will of the population within,tends not to work in the longer term.

Quick Reply