Should Argentina own the Falkland Islands? Watch

Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Royalist Blue)
I suppose we could ask the falklanders if they want to be part of us or argentina. My own thought if is we shouldn't give falklands or gibraltar back both are great resources for our military
We have. The result was rather one sided
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Drewski)
We have. The result was rather one sided
Yes 99% voted to remain as a British overseas territory I believe, bet the 1% were popular!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Yes 99% voted to remain as a British overseas territory I believe, bet the 1% were popular!
It was a father with a half-Argentinian son who wanted it to be easier to travel to and from Argentina to visit, so his motives were well understood and appreciated by his fellow islanders.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It was a father with a half-Argentinian son who wanted it to be easier to travel to and from Argentina to visit, so his motives were well understood and appreciated by his fellow islanders.
🤣🤣🤣 Fair enough I guess, some of those Argie ladies are quite tempting after all 😉.
Alt Tankie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If the islanders want to stay a British colony then it is up to them. I don’t really care though.

They’re certainly not worth going to war over. Screw the remnants of the British Empire: a prototype for today’s globalist empire
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Would pmsl if Corbyn gave them to Argentina if he becomes PM just to flex on the neocons. I’d be tempted to do it just to see Gove’s face
Fujoshi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DJKL)
They do, however, potentially have value re future rights of exploration (and minerals from same) on Antarctica.

However surely the key question in the 21st century is self determination-those who live on the islands ought to be able to decide their nationality. Of course this is a two edged sword, if say post Brexit those living in Gibraltar decide they want to be part of Spain then Gibraltar changes its status whether the UK wishes it to or otherwise. Holding areas of land by mere conquest or inheritance, against the will of the population within,tends not to work in the longer term.
Part of me wonders if the (mis)treatment of Catalonia by the Spainish government is also down to their saltiness over the treaty of utretch. Although they only seem to have major issues with the thing the British negotiated so who knows >.>

(Although said treaty stipulates that Gibraltar has to be willing given up by Britain so whether Gibraltar can just switch countries with no say from the British government would probably have to go through some red tape?)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ermm no ?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuKk4KmCYAA7XRx.jpg
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Argentina has less of a right to Patagonia than it does the Falklands. It controlled neither in the early 19th century, and at least with the Falklands there was no indigenous population at the time.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alt Tankie)
Would pmsl if Corbyn gave them to Argentina if he becomes PM just to flex on the neocons. I’d be tempted to do it just to see Gove’s face
That will never happen
Alt Tankie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
That will never happen
Unfortunately not, unless he wins a reelection and has purged the party of traitors and stopped giving a **** entirely
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads