The Student Room Group

why is getting into uk medical schools so hard compared some other countries

I might be being a little to biased however compared to countries ( where i pressumably think you just have to take an exam). In uk medical schools want so much from their applicants eg lots of work experience which is really hard to get for some people, exceptional ukcat and alevel grades. Btw the thing that annoys myself is work experience because it is so hard to obtain, if your luck enought your school would provide it and personal statement standard.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well not all applicants have work experience
Yes it is hard. However, if I compare the UK system to the French system you will see the major differences. In France absolutely anyone can get into medical school, but only 20% or something pass and actually get through to second year. A few try and re-take and ultimately many have to change degree- wouldn't call that great?
Reply 2
Which other countries are you thinking of?

As above, France is absolutely notorious. Only the top 10-20% of first years are allowed into second year and it leads to vicious competition and sabotage between students. So it's still difficult to become a doctor, they've just put the bottleneck in a different place

There are also medical schools in, for example, the Caribbean and Eastern Europe where it is perhaps easier to get in, but then the medical schools are not very well regarded, don't necessarily produce well-trained doctors, and in some cases don't actually provide students with appropriate qualifications
If it’s anything like vet school, it’s way easier to get in but way harder to graduate. So the selectiveness is just later on in the process compared to here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending