The Student Room Group

the fast stream for local government (the ngdp)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Thank you for your replies and I wish you luck.

I am currently on placement in Local Government. And I must say it is very good. I sit behind someone who has recently finished the scheme and she always says how much she networked and the wonderful people she met.
Reply 181
g2da3
Can I ask you guys

> why you want to go on the NGDP scheme please ?

> what is different about this scheme that you like ? that you dont like on the NHS and civil service schemes ?

thanks

I'm on this scheme. I'm going to sell it because it really is underrated and I don't think people actually realise the kind of opportunities that are available.

I think the NGDP is fantastic and there are numerous advantages over the NHS/Civil Service. It's got a great blend of formal training (Warwick), and on-the-job learning. You're always on a learning curve as you move from department to department over your placements.

It's not for the weak-hearted - there are often opportunities to be in the Chief Exec's Office/Leader's Office from day one, but that is really fantastic as you will be able to have an unusual opportunity to see how an organisation works at the highest level. A lot of my NGDP colleagues were in these roles for their first six month placement. I don't think a private sector scheme, or even NHS/Civil Service gives you that level of exposure.

One thing to bear in mind is what kind of local authority you work for if you make it through the stages. County Councils cover a wider area and are often akin to large organisations, District Councils are smaller and will give you greater exposure quicker, London Boroughs are obviously smaller but of strategic importance (and, I think, tend to be more politically driven for this reason).

You may be one of very few graduates (in fact you probably are) in your organisation - and therefore a very desirable resource in a resource-limited environment. That gives you an opportunity to shape the direction of your career from word go.

Which leads to another advantage - the sheer range of available opportunities. You could spend placements in interesting diverse areas from:

--> adult social care and the problems faced by governments - how to offer greater choice in provision of this? How to deal with the long-term financial weight posed by an anticipated ageing population/the prevalence of dementia amongst an ageing population?
--> economic regeneration - securing a legacy from the Olympics, regenerating town centres, the impact of the recession on regeneration schemes
--> finding innovative solutions to cut the budget while still improving service delivery. Do councils need to 'transform' or undertake change programmes? How do they do this without affecting the front line?
--> developing partnerships with other councils, strengthening relationships with the private sector, with PCTs, the NHS, the Civil Service to cut costs and improve delivery. Sharing best practice.
--> developing and revising policy frameworks
--> researching for and advising 'Cabinet'/Leaders of Councils

Partnership delivery is actually probably going to be crucial to government altogether over the next few years as we attempt to deal with a colossal deficit whilst simultaneously tackling real long term and short term social issues.

I can only speak for myself as someone working for one County Council out of many LAs, but I am thrilled to be working on such cutting-edge issues. So far I've had a bit of project management and partnership work experience under my belt (and I've only been here for 5 months). I'd thoroughly recommend it if you want interesting work with the potential to make a difference, good prospects and excellent training.

Oh, and it is *brilliant* if you are into your networking....
Reply 182
Reema
I'm on this scheme. I'm going to sell it because it really is underrated and I don't think people actually realise the kind of opportunities that are available.

I think the NGDP is fantastic and there are numerous advantages over the NHS/Civil Service. It's got a great blend of formal training (Warwick), and on-the-job learning. You're always on a learning curve as you move from department to department over your placements.

It's not for the weak-hearted - there are often opportunities to be in the Chief Exec's Office/Leader's Office from day one, but that is really fantastic as you will be able to have an unusual opportunity to see how an organisation works at the highest level. A lot of my NGDP colleagues were in these roles for their first six month placement. I don't think a private sector scheme, or even NHS/Civil Service gives you that level of exposure.

One thing to bear in mind is what kind of local authority you work for if you make it through the stages. County Councils cover a wider area and are often akin to large organisations, District Councils are smaller and will give you greater exposure quicker, London Boroughs are obviously smaller but of strategic importance (and, I think, tend to be more politically driven for this reason).

You may be one of very few graduates (in fact you probably are) in your organisation - and therefore a very desirable resource in a resource-limited environment. That gives you an opportunity to shape the direction of your career from word go.

Which leads to another advantage - the sheer range of available opportunities. You could spend placements in interesting diverse areas from:

--> adult social care and the problems faced by governments - how to offer greater choice in provision of this? How to deal with the long-term financial weight posed by an anticipated ageing population/the prevalence of dementia amongst an ageing population?
--> economic regeneration - securing a legacy from the Olympics, regenerating town centres, the impact of the recession on regeneration schemes
--> finding innovative solutions to cut the budget while still improving service delivery. Do councils need to 'transform' or undertake change programmes? How do they do this without affecting the front line?
--> developing partnerships with other councils, strengthening relationships with the private sector, with PCTs, the NHS, the Civil Service to cut costs and improve delivery. Sharing best practice.
--> developing and revising policy frameworks
--> researching for and advising 'Cabinet'/Leaders of Councils

Partnership delivery is actually probably going to be crucial to government altogether over the next few years as we attempt to deal with a colossal deficit whilst simultaneously tackling real long term and short term social issues.

I can only speak for myself as someone working for one County Council out of many LAs, but I am thrilled to be working on such cutting-edge issues. So far I've had a bit of project management and partnership work experience under my belt (and I've only been here for 5 months). I'd thoroughly recommend it if you want interesting work with the potential to make a difference, good prospects and excellent training.

Oh, and it is *brilliant* if you are into your networking....

Thank you very much for the above Reema.

Can I ask what is the career progression like ?

And can someone on the scheme work in a range of departments for example the HR dept then Children and Families then the finance department ?

Do you get to choose which departments your placements will be ?

thank you in advance
Reply 183
The career progression depends very much on how you do, and where you do it I think. Because it's public sector, any job you took up would have to be justified and would probably depend on market demand/available vacancy at the time. Having said that, I spoke to someone at Tower Hamlets last year, and they said that most people on the scheme were on 35k + after those two years, so I'd say career progression is pretty good. People do quite well off the scheme, I get the impression, and quite a few people move onto the Civil Service too with their experience.

You can indeed have varied placements. I'm not sure whether you get to choose - I don't think so, but it may depend on where you are and how many of your fellow NMTs are there. Having said that, my employer takes our interests into consideration, so you wouldn't be completely powerless, I don't think.
Has anyone heard from the NGDP yet regarding telephone interviews?
claire_c_xox
Has anyone heard from the NGDP yet regarding telephone interviews?

Nope, thats what I was checking this thread for. *twiddles thumbs* Fed up with waiting for stuff!
I'm still waiting too. I phoned up yesterday and they said that they were still reviewing my application and that they would contact me by email any time up until early February! Fingers crossed anyway.
claire_c_xox
I'm still waiting too. I phoned up yesterday and they said that they were still reviewing my application and that they would contact me by email any time up until early February! Fingers crossed anyway.

Looking at this thread last year, I'm hoping to hear something next week. Hope we both hear something! :smile:
Reply 188
It's early February now! :smile:
Reply 189
Hi guys - I just found this thread, but just to let you know that I got an email on Saturday morning saying that I had an interview for today. So I guess they are starting to notify folk about interviews now :smile:

Good luck one and all
I wish I knew when early february ended! lol. Good luck for your interview Suk! :smile: Let us know how it went x
Reply 191
Congrats Suk :smile: Hope it goes well ...they don't much notice do they?!
Reply 192
sorry, that should say 'they don't give much notice do they' x
Reply 193
Hi - I just had the interview. It went okish, but I am always awful at phone interviews and talk far too fast and never know when to shut up. I would only advice to remain calm and take your time before answering the questions.

Lady Gaga - I actually chose to do it today at this time due to the fact I have the morning off work. I could have waited and had it at another time in the future, but I rather just get it over and done with as I hate thinking about an interview for days on end.

They also mentioned that only 25% of applicants this year were invited to a phone interview so its bloody competitive this year!

The major downside of having probably one of the first interviews is that I have the longest wait to find out if I was successful or not, so I will now disappear for this forum till then! Good luck everyone, I hope you find out about your interviews in the not so distant future.

Suk
Congrats Suk, hopefully the rest of us will hear soon!
I heard today that I have a phone interview. I scheduled it for Sunday afternoon. It's a weird time, I know, but it was the most convenient for me. Am slightly amazed to have heard anything, as I don't think I'm by any means exceptional as a candidate, apart from perhaps having worked for my local council last summer (but even that's not dazzling!)

I assumed that successful applicants were being contacted alphabetically, as my surname is a B, and my friends of M and W have heard nothing either way. This might not be true, but it seems a logical way for them to have done things.

Does anyone know how many candidates get through to first interview? Given that the interviewers are working over the weekend, I assume it's rather a lot...
Reply 196
wingsofthedove
I heard today that I have a phone interview. I scheduled it for Sunday afternoon. It's a weird time, I know, but it was the most convenient for me. Am slightly amazed to have heard anything, as I don't think I'm by any means exceptional as a candidate, apart from perhaps having worked for my local council last summer (but even that's not dazzling!)

I assumed that successful applicants were being contacted alphabetically, as my surname is a B, and my friends of M and W have heard nothing either way. This might not be true, but it seems a logical way for them to have done things.

Does anyone know how many candidates get through to first interview? Given that the interviewers are working over the weekend, I assume it's rather a lot...

congrats wings
sunday afternoon is odd but good luck

i'm a B too so unless ur theory is incorrect, I hope my email comes soon :tongue:
Well done Wings! Don't put yourself down, you must have had a very good application and I'm sure they will really value you your work experience. It makes you stand out.

I am going to guess at anything up to 1000 candidates for interview as it is a national programme and very competitive. Like I say though, this is just an educated guess.

I'm a C so I'm going to be checking my emails all day! Lol.

Can I ask how you managed to secure work experience with your local council?

Also, good luck for your interview on sunday, believe in yourself!
I've applied for this too, but haven't heard anything yet!

Sorry to ruin the theory, but someone I know who is an S got a telephone interview yesterday, so maybe they're just doing it randomly?!

Do you think 'early February' means by the end of this week?
Reply 199
Maybe they are offering telephone interviews to those who applied first? I'm a 'J' and applied on the last day...so hopefully that's the system :s

I hope early Feb. means by the end of the week! But I suppose it could be until the 12th

Congrats Wing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest