The Student Room Group

Anybody successfully appealed a parking ticket?

Got given a ticket in Glasgow yesterday despite paying £8 for parking, the ticket was dated for 20 minutes before my parking expired and so I shouldn’t have to pay a fine? The ticket was on the window but in the heat yesterday it fell off onto the dash still visible through the side window and the front should the attendant have looked closer.

To pay this fine would also then potentially be unjustified enrichment given that I’ve already paid the £8 the council aren’t exactly out of pocket?

I’ve tried appealing it however the council have said 20+ working days for a response meaning the fine would then go up from 30 to 60 and I don’t really want to risk them rejecting my appeal and having to pay. So has anybody ever successfully appealed a Parking ticket from Glasgow city council or otherwise?

TLDR: ever successfully fought a parking fine Glasgow city council or otherwise?
I once appealed one because I'd been in a rush and the ticket had blown off the dash as I shut the door. They sent me a letter basically saying it's my responsibility to make sure the ticket is visible, but as I had provided evidence they were willing to let it go on this occasion. That wasn't Glasgow council, but it was my local council.

I would send them a copy of your ticket and just explain the situation. I think you should be okay, particularly if they have CCTV and can view you buying the ticket.
Reply 2
Original post by chloe132
Got given a ticket in Glasgow yesterday despite paying £8 for parking, the ticket was dated for 20 minutes before my parking expired and so I shouldn’t have to pay a fine? The ticket was on the window but in the heat yesterday it fell off onto the dash still visible through the side window and the front should the attendant have looked closer.

To pay this fine would also then potentially be unjustified enrichment given that I’ve already paid the £8 the council aren’t exactly out of pocket?

I’ve tried appealing it however the council have said 20+ working days for a response meaning the fine would then go up from 30 to 60 and I don’t really want to risk them rejecting my appeal and having to pay. So has anybody ever successfully appealed a Parking ticket from Glasgow city council or otherwise?

TLDR: ever successfully fought a parking fine Glasgow city council or otherwise?

You can take it to an independent parking tribunal if the appeal fails. Councils are better at handling appeals than private companies - something like 90% of tickets get voided from some documentary show I watched a few months ago.
Reply 3
It's worth doing. I've gone all the way through to the last line of appeal but got the penalty quashed..the whole spiel about your penalty rising as time goes on is to intimidate and to stop you appealing. Screw the council and their parking restrictions is what I say. :wink:
Had my ticket blown off my dashboard when shutting the door. I sent them a photo of the ticket and they said since it matched with the traffic warden's documentation re time and place they would overturn it. This was in Hull btw.

Have they actually told you that you won't be eligible for the reduced rate if you appeal? The few times this has happened to me, I've been told that the council or contractor will put a freeze on the case while the appeal is being decided. If they decide your appeal isn't valid then you should still be able to pay the reduced rate within a certain number of days. I think you should appeal.
Reply 5
They’ve just confirmed should I choose to appeal they’ll run it up past the 14 day and I’ll be forced to pay the higher rate.
Seems unfair and a bit of a bully tactic really
If the ticket was still visible I'd 100% appeal it regardless.
Original post by chloe132
They’ve just confirmed should I choose to appeal they’ll run it up past the 14 day and I’ll be forced to pay the higher rate.
Seems unfair and a bit of a bully tactic really

Read this:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/parking-ticket-appeals/
Reply 8
Had a look but think that might just apply in England and Wales unfortunately
Reply 9
Definitely appeal it - you haven’t got anything to lose.

And yes, I successfully appealed a parking ticket - I hadn’t actually paid for my car but for another car by mistake.
Original post by IWMTom
You can take it to an independent parking tribunal if the appeal fails. Councils are better at handling appeals than private companies - something like 90% of tickets get voided from some documentary show I watched a few months ago.

Ditto this. I've had multiple success appeals or reductions on behalf of my Dad and his atrocious pay and display skills/parking spot choices in the past with the council. I have never been able to weasel either of us out of a private one to the point where I just don't even try anymore.
My mum recently successfully appealed against a parking ticket. She was given one because the disabled badge had slipped off the dashboard as she was getting out and didn’t realise. Since she’s got weak hearing and weak eyesight she didn’t realise. They just told her to basically be more responsible next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending