Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think I posted this in the wrong forum so ill repost it.
    How oversubscribed is maths at UCL? Most of my friends and people I know that are going to apply for maths will be doing it at Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial and none are going for UCL as thier firm Why is this, I mean, cambridge/warwick/imperial cannot be that much better than UCL.

The only reason I can think of is that its too oversubscribed at UCL so its harder to get a place?

ReputationRep:
    I dont know i heard UCL is the 4th best uni in United kingdom and is in the top 10 uni internationally globaly. That means UCL is better then warwick and imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peter121PRO)
    I dont know i heard UCL is the 4th best uni in United kingdom and is in the top 10 uni internationally globaly. That means UCL is better then warwick and imperial.
    Everyone I have asked has told me that both warwick and imperial have a better maths department, I would still prefer to attend UCL tho, this is why im asking.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen it seems that UCL is consistently good (i.e. top 10 in UK for all/almost all courses they teach) but perhaps at Maths specifically they might be say 4th best behind oxbridge, Warwick, imperial. But I assure you that any subject that you read at UCL will be great. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horizontal 8)
    From what I've seen it seems that UCL is consistently good (i.e. top 10 in UK for all/almost all courses they teach) but perhaps at Maths specifically they might be say 4th best behind oxbridge, Warwick, imperial. But I assure you that any subject that you read at UCL will be great. :p:
    That's four universities.

UCL has a very good maths department. If you're keen on going there, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username?)
    I think I posted this in the wrong forum so ill repost it.
    How oversubscribed is maths at UCL? Most of my friends and people I know that are going to apply for maths will be doing it at Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial and none are going for UCL as thier firm Why is this, I mean, cambridge/warwick/imperial cannot be that much better than UCL.

The only reason I can think of is that its too oversubscribed at UCL so its harder to get a place?
    Don't choose a uni solely on reputation! There's not much separating UCL, and Oxbridge/Warwick reputation wise for maths. So consider other factor such as location, budget etc.

ReputationRep:
    The top 4 UK unis for Math are Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial or they are collectively known as COWI. Then there's a gap the separate them from the rest of the unis. UCL is good for math (not really great because that rightly deserves for COWI) but Bristol and Durham are better regarded for math. UCL is overrated. It is a great uni but it is as good as Edinburgh, Nottingham and Manchester for Math. As a university, it's outside of the top 5. In 2002, it was ranked 11th overall. The only UK unis that were never ranked outside of the top 10 for many years coming now are, again, the top 5 - Cam, Ox, Imperial, LSE and Warwick. They are the solid top 5 UK unis. Close behind Warwick is Durham, then St Andrews then Bristol or UCL or Edinburgh. UCL being a top 10 uni in the world is a big joke. It's no way as competitive as a 3rd-tier US school let alone 2nd tier. It also doesn't have a good name recognition in countires outside of the Commonwealth.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to UCL at the same time as I applied to Cambridge and was really impressed with the maths department - I went to one of their maths open days. The people there seemed really friendly - and from what they told me - they have a good support network if you struggle at any time (which most people - well, me at least - do from time to time).

I was made an offer by UCL (unconditional as it happens) and would have seriously considered going there if I hadn't made it to Cambridge.

Personally it doesn't matter to me whether a uni is in first or 10th place in the UK for maths, although of course it does matter for some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    The top 4 UK unis for Math are Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial or they are collectively known as COWI. Then there's a gap the separate them from the rest of the unis. UCL is good for math (not really great because that rightly deserves for COWI) but Bristol and Durham are better regarded for math. UCL is overrated. It is a great uni but it is as good as Edinburgh, Nottingham and Manchester for Math. As a university, it's outside of the top 5. In 2002, it was ranked 11th overall. The only UK unis that were never ranked outside of the top 10 for many years coming now are, again, the top 5 - Cam, Ox, Imperial, LSE and Warwick. They are the solid top 5 UK unis. Close behind Warwick is Durham, then St Andrews then Bristol or UCL or Edinburgh. UCL being a top 10 uni in the world is a big joke. It's no way as competitive as a 3rd-tier US school let alone 2nd tier. It also doesn't have a good name recognition in countires outside of the Commonwealth.
    So you did read the link

ReputationRep:
    i heard university of aberystwyth was awesome for maths. i would deffo choose it over UCL, dunno about cambridge though

ReputationRep:
    UCL is brilliant for maths. Go for it if you want to have a great time and be intellectually streched.

Incidentally I have just completed my 1st year there.

ReputationRep:
    F*k this COWI nonsense and the idea that there is a gap and then....whatever. UCL is very good for Maths, at the certain levels the department won't have too much affect, it's far more important to enjoy what you are doing. As far as i'm concerned the gulf between Warwick and UCL is probably very negligable.

ReputationRep:
    What i mean to say is that educationally you won't be disadvantaged by going to UCL rather than Warwick or Imperial

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.