Should euthanasia be legal in the United Kingdom? Watch

TheRareSamuel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Personally, I think that euthanasia is a human right as it is your own choice and it concerns yourself the most. Want to know what other people think and if you disagree? This will hopefully be a place for debates.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
In the case of a confirmed terminal illness and a comprehensive psychological evaluation, it should be a legal option.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yeah I'd be inclined to agree. Needs to be safe though - no opportunity for family to influence, cool-down periods, and assessment for psychological illness. Could probably have chronic illness as a prerequisite criteria too.

But being of sound mind and wanting to die but being told I'm not allowed to... how ****ing draconian can you get.
opportune
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TheRareSamuel)
Personally, I think that euthanasia is a human right as it is your own choice and it concerns yourself the most. Want to know what other people think and if you disagree? This will hopefully be a place for debates.
That's voluntary euthanasia. The likes of Bill Gates want to reduce the world population by any means possible.
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 5 months ago
Yes.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Yeah I'd be inclined to agree. Needs to be safe though - no opportunity for family to influence, cool-down periods, and assessment for psychological illness. Could probably have chronic illness as a prerequisite criteria too.

But being of sound mind and wanting to die but being told I'm not allowed to... how ****ing draconian can you get.
Wouldn't someone made depressed by their condition such that they wish to die likely going to fail a pysch eval due to their having depression?
Yasmin1224
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
NO
LadyMcCartney4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I agree it should be legal for both mental and physical illnesses that are unendurable and with no hope of a cure.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
People don’t get to choose to be born, we are all forced into this world against our will.

We should all have the choice for how long we keep living. If people want to cling to life let them. If someone wants to die because of trauma, pain or whatever reason they have then who should have the right to say otherwise. Nobody else should be allowed to place more value on your own life than yourself, you have to live it.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Wouldn't someone made depressed by their condition such that they wish to die likely going to fail a pysch eval due to their having depression?
There would certainly be some very difficult ethical conundrums in there. Fundamentally, depression is a disorder that comes in bouts and does get better with time alone, whereas chronic illness is not. The assessment's role would be to identify a temporary condition - grief reaction, depressive/bipolar disorder - and if they can't be sure then to delay and re-assess. The wording in terms of how much certainty they need would be key.

But yeah I agree it won't always be easy. Chronic psychiatric/psychological disorders will be particularly hard to categorise*. But just because its difficult doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

*Although many of that group will be perfectly capable of committing suicide without applying for the approval of a committee...
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I imagine difficulty would arise if the individual had no capacity to make an informed decision i.e. vegatitive state or whatever the politically correct/medically correct term is.

Can/should the decision to be euthanized fall to the family?
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
We should have the right to decide for ourselves how and when our lives end. Especially so when we are experiencing substantial, debilitating pain on a daily basis with no-little chance of improvement in quality of life.
miw1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks for finally answering my questions mate. Even though it wasn't my thread idc.
(Original post by Palmyra)
We should have the right to decide for ourselves how and when our lives end. Especially so when we are experiencing substantial, debilitating pain on a daily basis with no-little chance of improvement in quality of life.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Indeed.
With that being said its an inherently complex issue with many countervailing points running through it. i.e. who/what/where/why/how etc.

Personally i tend towards saying its a fundamental right people should enjoy being able to end their life with dignity, especially in terms of terminal illness. You run into problems when people might suffer from a long term but not fatal illness say CRPS etc. or more tricky conditions such as depression, with this being a particularly tricky one to figure out - although i believe Belgium recently let someone be euthanized who had a rather bad and incurable case of this. Again, one would tend towards this particular precedent here as its likely said person will try and kill themselves either way and being dosed with barbiturates (or whatever) is a much more respectable way to go than jumping off a bridge.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think it should be an option in the certain circumstances, like in Switzerland.

The dog had to go when he became ill and incontinent and I will probably be thinking along the same lines with the husband
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think it should be an option in the certain circumstances, like in Switzerland.

The dog had to go when he became ill and incontinent and I will probably be thinking along the same lines with the husband
Ah its not always that easy though. If you ask young people how many years of your life you'd be willing to sacrifice to not be faecally incontinent for the last 5 of them, they might answer 2 or 3 or 4. But if you ask faecally incontinent people that you get a very different, much shorter answer!
Minxel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes it should be. It would give people who wish to end their life, a more dignifying (and less terrifying) method of doing so without having to resort to you-know-what (I dont know if I’ll get flagged for writing the word haha)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (371)
44.38%
No (88)
10.53%
I'm not old enough (377)
45.1%

Watched Threads