emlan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I already accepted a place to study biomedicine in Aberdeen, but Brexit is really worrying me. Also, my ultimate goal is to study medicine.

I applied to medical schools in Finland, and was just a few points away from getting in. Should I decline my offer and retake entrance exams next year?

I want to still have biomedicine as a back up plan, but I wasn't allowed a deferred entry. If I apply again, will I be "blacklisted" and not accepted anywhere in the UK to study?

I'm very conflicted about what to do, so any advice would be appreciated.
FutureMedic23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
have you considered just doing your undergrad in biomed and then applying for GEM when you're perhaps in a better position to do so? on the other hand if you really think you can nail that entrance exam next time round and really want to give it another shot, go for it
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emlan)
I already accepted a place to study biomedicine in Aberdeen, but Brexit is really worrying me. Also, my ultimate goal is to study medicine.

I applied to medical schools in Finland, and was just a few points away from getting in. Should I decline my offer and retake entrance exams next year?

I want to still have biomedicine as a back up plan, but I wasn't allowed a deferred entry. If I apply again, will I be "blacklisted" and not accepted anywhere in the UK to study?

I'm very conflicted about what to do, so any advice would be appreciated.
On TSR we'd (experienced knowledgeable posters) always advise you to retake your A Levels and try undergrad medicine.

It's just shorter, cheaper and easier (relative to GEM to get in.

Any reason why you haven't considered that?

(Original post by FutureMedic23)
have you considered just doing your undergrad in biomed and then applying for GEM when you're perhaps in a better position to do so? on the other hand if you really think you can nail that entrance exam next time round and really want to give it another shot, go for it
Read the above re: what I said! If you can avoid doing a 3 year degree in something you don't really want to, but really just to achieve something else, then avoid it!!
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
emlan
Rep:
?
I want to take a preparatory course that lasts a year, which will help me significantly in the exams. And considering I already took a gap year to study for the exams, it seems sort of pointless to give up after one year of trying.

I guess I'm just the type who hates uncertainty and wants to have a backup plan in place, so that's why this is a difficult choice for me.
(Original post by FutureMedic23)
emlan
Rep:
?
I have an IB-diploma. I've never done the A-levels, since I live in Finland.
(Original post by ecolier)
On TSR we'd (experienced knowledgeable posters) always advise you to retake your A Levels and try undergrad medicine.

It's just shorter, cheaper and easier (relative to GEM to get in.

Any reason why you haven't considered that?

Read the above re: what I said! If you can avoid doing a 3 year degree in something you don't really want to, but really just to achieve something else, then avoid it!!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emlan)
I have an IB-diploma. I've never done the A-levels, since I live in Finland.
And you want to work in the UK after graduation?

Just a word of warning, GEM (in the UK) is at least 2x more competitive than undergrad medicine.

And of course there's no guarantee that UK med graduates can work in the EU and vice versa! (after Brexit)
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
emlan
Rep:
?
Okay, I thought I understood what GEM means, but now I'm lost.

I want to have the ability to work in the EU after my degree, and that's why I'm concerned about Brexit. It would immediately make it more difficult for my degree to be accepted in the EU.
(Original post by ecolier)
And you want to work in the UK after graduation?

Just a word of warning, GEM (in the UK) is at least 2x more competitive than undergrad medicine.

And of course there's no guarantee that UK med graduates can work in the EU and vice versa!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emlan)
Okay, I thought I understood what GEM means, but now I'm lost.
It mean graduate entry medicine. It's a shortened (usually shorter than the standard course by 1 year) course that also leads to MBBS or MBChB. You must have done a degree (most people would have done biomedicine or similar) to do it. But it's COMPETITIVE.

I want to have the ability to work in the EU after my degree, and that's why I'm concerned about Brexit. It would immediately make it more difficult for my degree to be accepted in the EU.
Exactly. Have you considered any other med schools in the EU?
emlan
Rep:
?
Yes I have a few universities that I’ll be applying to. My only concern is not getting in and then ending up with no place to study, if I decline my offer from Aberdeen.

So I guess my main question is, will I still have a chance of getting in to biomedicine, even if I declined an offer?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by emlan)
Yes I have a few universities that I’ll be applying to. My only concern is not getting in and then ending up with no place to study, if I decline my offer from Aberdeen.

So I guess my main question is, will I still have a chance of getting in to biomedicine, even if I declined an offer?
Biomedicine and medicine are different courses. If biomedicine in Aberdeen is your main query, I'll move your thread to the life sciences forum.

The answer to your question is that it depends on the university.

Please tag or quote me when replying in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads