The Student Room Group

Alabama completely loses the plot in pro-life travesty.

State legislature and law enforcement in Alabama have vanished down the rabbit hole.

Pregnant woman is shot in the stomach, which kills foetus.
Pregnant woman is charged with manslaughter of baby because she is accused of starting the argument which led to the other party shooting her.
The shooter walked free because of Alabama's 'stand your ground' law which states that people can use lethal force if they feel threatened.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/27/us/alabama-pregnant-woman-shot-in-stomach-manslaughter-indictment-trnd/index.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
State legislature and law enforcement in Alabama have vanished down the rabbit hole.

Pregnant woman is charged with manslaughter of baby because she is accused of starting the argument which led to the other party shooting her.
The shooter walked free because of Alabama's 'stand your ground' law which states that people can use lethal force if they feel threatened.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/27/us/alabama-pregnant-woman-shot-in-stomach-manslaughter-indictment-trnd/index.html

Lets see if the charge actually holds till court
I'm sure soon we'll start getting the families of murder victims to pay drycleaning costs for their killer.
Reply 3
Original post by QE2

Only In America...
Reply 4
Original post by Aayush :)
Lets see if the charge actually holds till court

It may not, but the issue us that she has been indicted and remanded in custody over it.
would she still be charged with manslaughter if she was with a 12 year old child (imagine it is her child) who got shot in the crossfire and died?
Original post by QE2
It may not, but the issue us that she has been indicted and remanded in custody over it.

It is beyond disgusting that she's being charged for 'starting an argument'. She didn't choose to get shot. However, if she files a wrongful custody charge, it may win.
The toxic growth of right-wing politics continues. God bless America.
(edited 4 years ago)
Omg WHY?! :rolleyes: I honestly don't understand these rulings sometimes...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
This is actually insane
But its not like she could have said, 'hold up before you shoot me, let me reach in my womb and remove this fetus that is INSIDE me'. With a 12 year old it is easy to get them out of the situation, with a fetus? Please. Shush
Original post by Leviathan1611
would she still be charged with manslaughter if she was with a 12 year old child (imagine it is her child) who got shot in the crossfire and died?
Original post by Okay123
But its not like she could have said, 'hold up before you shoot me, let me reach in my womb and remove this fetus that is INSIDE me'. With a 12 year old it is easy to get them out of the situation, with a fetus? Please. Shush

well let's imagine she didn't get the twelve year old out of the situation and they died, would she still be charged?
Reply 12

Possibly. Not aware of any specific law that would cover it. The law in question covers the absolute responsibility of the mother for her unborn foetus.
Yes, because thats trash parenting and she has sole responsibility for that child. But whilst the fetus 'is' her responsibility, there is no way she could have done anything to remove the fetus from the situation.
well let's imagine she didn't get the twelve year old out of the situation and they died, would she still be charged?
It’s pretty ridiculous to start arguments while heavily pregnant though. I don’t expect much from ‘ratchet’ Americans.
Original post by Okay123
Yes, because thats trash parenting and she has sole responsibility for that child. But whilst the fetus 'is' her responsibility, there is no way she could have done anything to remove the fetus from the situation.

if what they say is true, that she caused the argument and caused the other person to shoot her, would you call that trash parenting? since she could've gotten out of the situation but failed to do so

now if what they say is false and that there was nothing the mother could do to avoid the situation, then I think the shooter should be charged with manslaughter not the mother.
Reply 16

If a woman with her 12 year old child started an argument with a man, and that man pulled out a gun and started shooting and the 12 yo was hit and killed, he would almost certainly be charged with murder.
Original post by QE2
Possibly. Not aware of any specific law that would cover it. The law in question covers the absolute responsibility of the mother for her unborn foetus.

ah interesting.
Original post by QE2
If a woman with her 12 year old child started an argument with a man, and that man pulled out a gun and started shooting and the 12 yo was hit and killed, he would almost certainly be charged with murder.

so do you think in this case, the shooter should be charged with murder?
Whilst yes, she should not have started the argument, she still has emotions and feelings, I havent read the article because I gotta be somewhere soon, but unless she attacked him (which I dont know if she did then it gets a bit more dodgy) he should not have shot her, especially since from the OP's description he aimed for the stomach? Like it was his intention to kill that baby. So sure she could be charged with neglectful parenting at a PUSH, but manslaughter? Give me a break.
if what they say is true, that she caused the argument and caused the other person to shoot her, would you call that trash parenting? since she could've gotten out of the situation but failed to do so

now if what they say is false and that there was nothing the mother could do to avoid the situation, then I think the shooter should be charged with manslaughter not the mother.

Quick Reply

Latest