Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No doubt people can get the jist of what I am going to post from my title but I just want to see people's thoughts on this. Although before anyone reads I would just like to say that I am not being judgemental on anyone but only basing my ideas on first hand experiences that I have had.

It seems that England has the making of a likeable country. We give money to the EU, provide a play for refugees, a big donator to charities and we are a democracy. These are things shared by a lot of other countries aswell. But, it seems that British people are not liked, especially amoung our European neighbours. In forums and online games I have often found myself having to claim to be German (my mother was half German) in order not to get discrimination. After forming relationships with a lot of people over the internet I came to realise how much people disliked British people and their culture, I could acuse them of being racist but then sadly I would be dubbed a racist hypocrite as I am British (one of the many associations put on us).

Of course, I am not claiming to be victimised here but there seems to be bitter tone when regarding the British/Americans, something I find hard to understand when the very language they speak, the very computer they whine on and the very culture they live in is heavily influenced by America and Britain, maybe this is the cause, I do not know. I could go on about how much we helped these countries during wars (and vice versa of course) but then I would be accused of noting past occurances, which is a tool ironically used against us when referring to colonisation. It seems as though countries such as Germany are twice as popular as us (I know I will be accused of being clueless and naive here) who have done the opposite of what we have been trying to do, ensure European and world security. Especially as England are out of the Euro 2008 football tournament it has been seen as an oppertunity by many to bash us as a country for hooliganism (when this happened over 20 years ago and has been more recent in Germany and Italy).

When I travel to all over the world people are generally polite. In online gaming they are polite to British people but as soon as they leave on goes the English-bashing. Even on a holiday to Greece I knew enough Greek to understand two kids behind me and my brother saying "English w***ers". To be honest, I have never had any bitter or hateful feelings towards countries traditionally associated with bad Anglo relationships (I've never disliked French people or German people), but it seems this is vehemently opposed by people from other countries. Personally, I would rather them saying that they do not like me full out rather than messing with me.

Is it just something passed-down to children or is there something else? I always try to speak native languages when I visit foreign countries and don't remember ever being rude to them, so I just do not see the problem. I'm sorry if this is a distorted view, and I am not claiming us to be victimised as a country it is just I am curious, I do not care if you do not like me but I just want to know why. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about it too!

ReputationRep:
    Some people are morons...Britain is however comparitavely well liked compared to the likes of the US, Israel etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I have to on principle

Just kidding of course.. Or else what would I be doing going to study in your country and speaking your language?

But I have experienced what you mean, and yeah, people do say 'english ******s' a lot in greek, because of the whole colonisation thing. We have celebrations at school every year to celebrate war heroes that 'fell for the cause'. Complete with songs and poetry and everything, so even though it's wrong, you can see how people can be emotional about it, and everyone seems to think the English are cold-blooded that can't show emotion and look constipated.

My sister's friend got married to an English guy and some of her relatives refuse to see him! Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's very true. Obvioiusly it's only natural for some people not to like Britian or British people but that's fine because this sort of racism exists everywhere and there will always be people who hold something against every country. I guess they're just country "cliches" or stereotypes, where we are all victims of being labelled as having a certain negative quality. It's nothing to be upset about, do not despair, just as long as you thing there's nothing wrong with being British (because there really isn't). Also, as long as you're proud of where you're from don't claim to be something or someone else just to be accepted. Instead, tell people that you're British and just be yourself - show them what your people are really like. Break the stupid stereotypes. Use this as an opportunity to represent your country (even if it's in your own little way) and prove those judgements wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Britain: :cool:

England: You're all ******s :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Some people are morons...Britain is however comparitavely well liked compared to the likes of the US, Israel etc.
    Now that's true.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Interestnig. I personally would like to become british citizen once and have never met with something like that...

ReputationRep:
    It's true. But the thing is it isn't 'Britain' really, as you already said, it's England. I'm not saying that because I'm from Scotland, it's a fact. Many a time when I've been in countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal even and we've been asked, 'Are you from England?', we'll reply Scotland and everyone is very warm and welcoming all of a sudden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4n0ran)
    We give money to the EU
    ...which you then proceed to take back.

provide a play for refugees
    ...in your prisons.

a big donator to charities
    ...below the 0.7% goal, which you took part in setting.

Sorry, had to :cool:

Anyway, you can't really claim British people like others, either.

I don't think Britain is outstandingly disliked, though. Germany isn't too popular among East Europe. Everyone hates Russia. Nobody likes China. Nobody except Tony likes USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    ...which you then proceed to take back.

...in your prisons.

...below the 0.7% goal, which you took part in setting.

Sorry, had to :cool:

Anyway, you can't really claim British people like others, either.

I don't think Britain is outstandingly disliked, though. Germany isn't too popular among East Europe. Everyone hates Russia. Nobody likes China. Nobody except Tony likes USA.
    All fair points. Except I like China.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's got a lot to do with the war in Iraq, which seems to automatically give every other country the right to get on their moral high horse/turn Britain into a laughing stock. It's extremely noticeabe (just look at Eurovision for example - there were far worse songs and yet the UK came last).

No doubt people can get the jist of what I am going to post from my title but I just want to see people's thoughts on this. Although before anyone reads I would just like to say that I am not being judgemental on anyone but only basing my ideas on first hand experiences that I have had.

It seems that England has the making of a likeable country. We give money to the EU, provide a play for refugees, a big donator to charities and we are a democracy. These are things shared by a lot of other countries aswell. But, it seems that British people are not liked, especially amoung our European neighbours. In forums and online games I have often found myself having to claim to be German (my mother was half German) in order not to get discrimination. After forming relationships with a lot of people over the internet I came to realise how much people disliked British people and their culture, I could acuse them of being racist but then sadly I would be dubbed a racist hypocrite as I am British (one of the many associations put on us).

Of course, I am not claiming to be victimised here but there seems to be bitter tone when regarding the British/Americans, something I find hard to understand when the very language they speak, the very computer they whine on and the very culture they live in is heavily influenced by America and Britain, maybe this is the cause, I do not know. I could go on about how much we helped these countries during wars (and vice versa of course) but then I would be accused of noting past occurances, which is a tool ironically used against us when referring to colonisation. It seems as though countries such as Germany are twice as popular as us (I know I will be accused of being clueless and naive here) who have done the opposite of what we have been trying to do, ensure European and world security. Especially as England are out of the Euro 2008 football tournament it has been seen as an oppertunity by many to bash us as a country for hooliganism (when this happened over 20 years ago and has been more recent in Germany and Italy).

When I travel to all over the world people are generally polite. In online gaming they are polite to British people but as soon as they leave on goes the English-bashing. Even on a holiday to Greece I knew enough Greek to understand two kids behind me and my brother saying "English w***ers". To be honest, I have never had any bitter or hateful feelings towards countries traditionally associated with bad Anglo relationships (I've never disliked French people or German people), but it seems this is vehemently opposed by people from other countries. Personally, I would rather them saying that they do not like me full out rather than messing with me.

Is it just something passed-down to children or is there something else? I always try to speak native languages when I visit foreign countries and don't remember ever being rude to them, so I just do not see the problem. I'm sorry if this is a distorted view, and I am not claiming us to be victimised as a country it is just I am curious, I do not care if you do not like me but I just want to know why. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about it too!
    If you're into CS, gimme your steam ID and I'll pwnzor some german skill fakers for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chase Me)
    It's true. But the thing is it isn't 'Britain' really, as you already said, it's England. I'm not saying that because I'm from Scotland, it's a fact. Many a time when I've been in countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal even and we've been asked, 'Are you from England?', we'll reply Scotland and everyone is very warm and welcoming all of a sudden.
    I agree, I totally notice that too. Being scottish is great. I hate britain. Interestingly, what does that make me as I am technically british? Probably treason, it can't be racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbee)
    Britain:

England: You're all ******s
    (Original post by Chase Me)
    This is a problem for me, since I'm about as English as you get. My family is English way back, the last sign of migrants in the family is from hundreds of years ago, from Europe, and apparently that lot originally came from here anyway, according to my granddad's research. And my accent is pretty clear-cut RP, there's no mistaking it for anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Originally Posted by m4n0ran
    provide a play for refugees

...in your prisons.
    Oh come off it, how many Polish builders and plumbers do we have? Notably not in prison. We even have over 4,000 Polish doctors, according to my geography case study revision.

ReputationRep:
    1) Have Irish grandparents.

2) Apply for shiny Irish passport to sit next to your UK one.

3) Present Irish passport instead of UK one when going abroad.

4) ???

5) Profit.

That's what I did anyway. Obviously not for everyone :p:.

I feel kind of sad that I have to virtually denounce my own country abroad just to avoid discrimination though. One time I was in Germany, and I got a 30% discount at one bar after showing my Irish passport as ID. When I asked why, the bartender told me that he puts the price up for English people.

And there was me thinking it was my rugged good looks .

Not the only time that sort of thing happened either, although that was the worst. I've had plenty of unfriendly tourist guides become friendly after I told them I was Irish, and stuff like that.

I guess it's not obvious to most 'Brits' abroad because not everyone makes it plainly obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I agree, I totally notice that too. Being scottish is great. I hate britain. Interestingly, what does that make me as I am technically british? Probably treason, it can't be racist.
    I'm not saying I hate Britain, or England, but the fact is a lot of people seem to and you are treated differently whether you're Scottish or English.

Also, I wouldn't say it's either treason or racist, there's nothing wrong with being proud of your nationality.

ReputationRep:
    Although, from my Indian friends I've heard that, when traveling to India, they treat you better if you have a British passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Oh come off it, how many Polish builders and plumbers do we have? Notably not in prison. We even have over 4,000 Polish doctors, according to my geography case study revision.
    They aren't refugees! They are migrant workers, they can come and go as they like perfectly legally and provide a decent service to the UK. The issue being referred to (I assume) is of the detention centres used to house asylum seekers and illegal immigrants, or the hostels they're put in despite the fact that they have no papers to get a job with, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.