The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
what does saturated and supersaturated mean? in terms of the cloud chambers

thanks
Hey guys, can some1 explain to me what u need to get out of 80 to gen an A? cos on the markscheme it says RMS u need 47/80. thats like nearly 59%??..am confused..some1 help.
yeah it varies every year, depending on how hard the paper was. Usually its between 47 and 57.
Kalashnikov
yeah it varies every year, depending on how hard the paper was. Usually its between 47 and 57.

Yeah but, would that b an actual A when its converted into UMS?. or would the grade actually go down?. pls explain, cos i on my papers i did i got like 49/80 and thought it was an E.
It would be an A if the grade boundary is 47.
thanx mate
Reply 206
Creative
Nah I've done the papers before last month, so all I need to do is skim thru it making sure I understand it. Usually takes around 1h15 min per paper.

oh right cool, well ive just started PHY6 2002 and for questions 1.b. it says calculate the field strenght, all the values it give you are to one significant figure and i have always been told that you should give your answer to the lowest significant figure that you have been given (e.g. if you have been given the values, 3.0 exp -4 5.2858737 exp -5 and 6.2375 exp -10, your answer would have to be to one sig figure.) ok, so in 1.b the answer came out as 2.5 exp 5 Vm-1 but obviously this is to two sig figures so should you round it to 3.0 exp5 (the answer says 2.5 exp 5 is the answer and says nothing about 3.0 exp 5) arghhh edexcel are so annoying why can;t they just stick to what they preach!
and becuase i used the rounded figure, all my answers for the rest of the section were wrong becuase i used the "wrong" figure,
just do 3 sig figs max on most answers unless told otherwise. OCR for chemistry is also strict on it, sometimes they do 2,3, or even 1 sig fig. but make sure u write units JUST DO 3 SIG FIG MAX
Hey all...i was just wondering what is the actual difference between and spark and drift chamber? x
Reply 209
why is it that a lot of people and teachers say that there isn't a phy6 in jan07 /jan06/ jan05 yet for some reason there are? for example here:
http://pburgess.net/AS_A2/Content/Past%20Papers/

im really not looking forward to this exam. i feel so tired and drained from revising for all the others...ahhhh
DRIFT CHAMBER:
Gas-filled containing thousands of parallel wires which are connected to a computer.
Once ionization takes place, the tracks are worked out electronically and then computer process and displays track graphically.
Reply 211
latino_joe
just do 3 sig figs max on most answers unless told otherwise. OCR for chemistry is also strict on it, sometimes they do 2,3, or even 1 sig fig. but make sure u write units JUST DO 3 SIG FIG MAX

It just annoys me that they would mark you down for being right! What ive been taught makes sense though, you can't have an answer which is more accurate than the most innaccurate data you have been given
Reply 212
latino_joe
DRIFT CHAMBER:
Gas-filled containing thousands of parallel wires which are connected to a computer.
Once ionization takes place, the tracks are worked out electronically and then computer process and displays track graphically.

are spark chambers and drift chambers the same thing?
do u mean bubble chambers?
basically a bubble chamber is filled with liquid hydrogen, when a charged particle enters it, ionizes the H2, which trigers vaporization so a trail of bubbles is fromed along with tracks of each particle.
Reply 214
anyone have the insert to the JAN 2008 paper. cannot find it anywhere in the document.
Reply 215
latino_joe
do u mean bubble chambers?
basically a bubble chamber is filled with liquid hydrogen, when a charged particle enters it, ionizes the H2, which trigers vaporization so a trail of bubbles is fromed along with tracks of each particle.

was that to me? If so, no i meant whats the difference between spark and drifit chambers?
no PHY6 for 08, there is only summer papers. only from PHY1-PHY4 do January papers.
Reply 217
there is a jan 2008 paper. im looking at it right now lol.

i think the paper was posted somewhere earlier in this thread..or another one.
Drift chambers are moderm, and can save time in interpreting images, also it gives u a 3D view, which photographs dont give,
yeh but are spark chambers and drift chambers the same?

Latest