SerendipityA1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi

Did anyone else graduate with a 2:2 BEng degree??

How are you feeling and what are your next steps??

I'm on track to graduate with a 2:2 BEng(Hons) Chemical Engineering Degree and I feel ashamed and upset.
Last edited by SerendipityA1; 1 month ago
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
2.2 students outearn 2.1s and 1sts in the general population. Whether that remains to be seen in the future I don't know, but past experience, 2.2s do fine.
SerendipityA1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Bump!

Anyone have any personal stories they could add to this thread?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by marinade)
2.2 students outearn 2.1s and 1sts in the general population. Whether that remains to be seen in the future I don't know, but past experience, 2.2s do fine.
I've heard this mentioned before but in a different form (that 2.1s out earn 1sts) but I don't know how true it is.

my theory is that the 1sts spend so much time focused on academics that they don't develop as many practical and interpersonal skills required to acquire wealth.

academics don't seem to be a prerequisite to acquire wealth in my experience. e.g. my father is an uneducated tradesman and he earns 50k a year. I even know a painter and decorator who lives in a mini castle and he owns a nursery.
Last edited by ltsmith; 2 months ago
Themysticalegg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The main stumbling block for getting a 2,2 is exclusion from most graduate schemes. (Graduates don't have to go through a graduate scheme.) Try to get an entry level job/work experience and your degree classification becomes irrelevant overtime.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 2 months ago
OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
F in chat bois
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
I've heard this mentioned before but in a different form (that 2.1s out earn 1sts) but I don't know how true it is.

my theory is that the 1sts spend so much time focused on academics that they don't develop as many practical and interpersonal skills required to acquire wealth.

academics don't seem to be a prerequisite to acquire wealth in my experience. e.g. my father is an uneducated tradesman and he earns 50k a year. I even know a painter and decorator who lives in a mini castle and he owns a nursery.
It is true, although there seem to be a lot of shouty people on TSR that say it isn't (not you).

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...tatistics-2018 source Graduate Labour Market Statistics, derived from HMRC data (some discussion around methodology, but it's far, far, far more accurate that previous surveys of graduates that existed in the past).

Yes, it's been speculated that a possible reason is people with 1sts are more likely to be in academia. It's interesting.

Past performance isn't necessarily a guide for future trends, so for under 30s 2.2s do earn less, but they still do fairly well. The graduate labour market statistics include a lot of graduates in their 30s, 40s, 50s and some in their 60s, so it'll be interesting what happens (master's degrees are becoming fairly standard).
SerendipityA1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Update: I will be working in a finance grad role in Canary Wharf starting next month.

I did not apply to graduate schemes as there was no point.
OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SerendipityA1)
Update: I will be working in a finance grad role in Canary Wharf starting next month.

I did not apply to graduate schemes as there was no point.
Congrats
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I practically failed my aerospace degree. No literally, one of my exams I got 10%. As of now I got terminated so i have no degree even. But i have my own company with some friends, received funding and moved to silicon valley. That piece of paper is whatever you do with it. It doesnt decide your life
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.46%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (101)
55.19%
No (72)
39.34%

Watched Threads